Automation Playback Error, Arrangment Window

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
8bit

Automation Playback Error, Arrangment Window

Post by 8bit » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi,

I can record automation fine into the arrangement window but can't get it to play back. Each time i press the 'Back to Arrangement button' it switches back to the session state. As a consequence can’t play back my automation (plays everything else in the arrangement view). Anyone else having this problem?

Never had this issue with ableton on the PC.

Macbook
OS X 10.5.5
Ableton 7.0.7

Thanks
Tim

la peste

Re: Automation Playback Error, Arrangment Window

Post by la peste » Wed May 06, 2009 4:48 pm

It is a very late reply... and I am facing the same issue. I almost never use the arrangement view, and I have a big problem..
I guess, as soe said, that it is a Live 1.01 issue.
I do not understand why I cannot playback the automations in the arrangement view without jumping back in session view. I have to keep pressing the BTA button all the time.
I wish to :
- record a live performance I do in session view with clip launches, vol, pan, sfx, bus send, returns... moves
- postedit this in the arrangement view
At this stage, I do have the clips, all the autom curves. I can modify them but I cannot play them back without having to press the BTA button to turn them red/playback enabled (versus brown/autom disabled).
I guess it is not a bug, and that I do not get a really essential point for which I would so much appreciate anyone's help.

la peste

Post by la peste » Wed May 06, 2009 6:11 pm

I have tried with a simple Live set of 2 tracks, one plug per track, perfect.
As soon as I try to record a more complex track (8 audio tracks, send/return/buses, midi tracks to control audio plugs, audio2midi plugs, etc...) I have the same issue : the automations in the arrangement view turn brown/disabled, Live does not stop jumping to session view - and I don't do anything in session view (I have checked there are no automated playback/follow actions, no midi clips playing, no (hidden) zone scrolling automation). I have to press the BTA button all the time. Well it's impossible to use.
I am becoming rather crazy. I cannot guess why the automation in the arrangement view is not permanent. How could I force it to be enabled ???
Any help would be so appreciated...

la peste

Post by la peste » Thu May 07, 2009 1:29 pm

problem solved.
I had some midi feedback loops running. Once you have made your perfomance, when you start to post edit in arrangement, the solution is to deactivate ALL MIDI settings in Live's MIDI/SYNC preferences pane. You need to turn off all TRACK, SYNC and REMOTE buttons as well as setting all choosers in the "control surface" section to "none".
I think Ableton shoud add in the manual smt about midi feedback loops preventing the correct playback of tracks in the arrangement view. Or add a
'super BTA/force to arrangement' button that would temporarily disable the midi settings when playing back the arrangement/it would blink 'ext midi device disabled'.

idioteque

Post by idioteque » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Had the same problem here and couldn't work it out as some automation in the arrangement view was playing back ok but automation which I added in at a later time was causing the BTA button to constantly trigger as soon as playback hit the first breakpoint of that particular automation. I found the problem seemed to be caused by a midi feedback loop in the IAC driver. If I disabled all the MIDI output assignments for IAC driver in Lives prefs it resolved the issue (you can leave the MIDI input assignments activated for the IAC driver with no problem caused)
iMac 3.06GHz | MacBook 2.4 GHz | MOTU UltraLite Mk3 | MOTU micro lite | Novation Launchpad | Faderfox Micromodul LC2 | KORG microKONTROL | KORG Kaoss Pad 3 | Live Suite 8.1.1