audio clip export

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
photonal

audio clip export

Post by photonal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:28 pm

abe babes:

i'd really really appreciate the ability to ctrl-click an audio clip to export it as a sample, without having to moving the loop brace, solo the track etc etc

or..... to select a number of audio clips and do the same ctrl-click to export them as individual samples named automatically numerically after the first given name.

Soma

Post by Soma » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 pm

I used to want this too until I found how well the freeze function works. Try this:
-Freeze track with clips you want to export
-Create new audio track
-drag frozen clips to audio track
-Save audio from audio track!

Perfect, even has lead in and loop of tail!

photonal

Post by photonal » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:46 am

Soma wrote:I used to want this too until I found how well the freeze function works. Try this:
-Freeze track with clips you want to export
-Create new audio track
-drag frozen clips to audio track
-Save audio from audio track!

Perfect, even has lead in and loop of tail!
thanks for the tip but I was writing about audio clips which are already in an audio track (not midi clips). Just want to ctrl-click on an audio clip and export the clip as a sample.

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:07 pm

You can do the same thing. (Note that the master and sends aren't included)

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:01 am

+100

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:53 am

photonal wrote:. Just want to ctrl-click on an audio clip and export the clip as a sample.
that is called "consolidate"

photonal

Post by photonal » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:22 pm

longjohns wrote:
photonal wrote:. Just want to ctrl-click on an audio clip and export the clip as a sample.
cheers & thanks!

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:19 pm

I don't think that this is right, afaik consolidate has nothing in common with export.

Soma

Post by Soma » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Well obviously, if the functionality exists, it isn't as simple and straight forward as it could be.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:13 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:
I don't think that this is right, afaik consolidate has nothing in common with export.
well, it has one thing in common: it makes a new sample file, which you can then use elsewhere.

the main problem is that you can't choose the location of it. but you know where to find it. in the.... wait for it.... 'consolidate' folder of the current project.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:21 pm

longjohns, ok, I see. I used the freeze folder for it

But I think the missing export feature is really a show stopper if you want export clips often, every time you want to export a clip you have to do many unnecessary mouse clicks.

photonal

Post by photonal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:54 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:longjohns, ok, I see. I used the freeze folder for it

But I think the missing export feature is really a show stopper if you want export clips often, every time you want to export a clip you have to do many unnecessary mouse clicks.
well just doing a command-J for consolidate isn't much work

but perhaps a ctrl-click of a clip (or several clips together) might be useful to export selected clips as a contiguous sample without consolidating them in the track, or even clips across multiple tracks?

m.nash

Re: audio clip export

Post by m.nash » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Definitely would like a simpler version of this.

I just drag the clips into the browser view, which works, but then it creates a hierarchy of three folders.

Simplify please! Thanks guys.

Soundtrackband

Post by Soundtrackband » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:51 am

I like ableton on a lot of levels, but I've yet to see it be as a good a sample CUTTER as it is a sample PLAYER. Especially for a keyboard collector like myself, I record key jams and then want to sample them for use. The sample selector is decent, although something about the constant zooming in and out is not optimal. I can dupe tracks and cut out what I want, and have say 75 of these things sitting on their lonesome waiting to be born as samples. I dont like the crop sample as some people have noted something happens to the audio quality, so I have to export each sample, one by one YAWN. The best setup would be to set all your in an out points on a track (having it auto play them like real samplers used to do), then hit one button and have the program spit out the separated files (as well as give you naming options comparable to good photo edit programs). Until this exists, Ableton is not all it can be.

nicholaspaul

Post by nicholaspaul » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but to make a wav of each clip, all I do is freeze the track. Done. In my project folder, is a wav file of each clip, under Samples/Processed/Freeze.

Of course, this could be a new feature since the original post.