Cuttin' an' Scratchin'

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Sneakoftheweek

Cuttin' an' Scratchin'

Post by Sneakoftheweek » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:11 am

Guys,
I'm about to start to learn to DJ with live. I can't quite understand how you mix 2 songs together. If a scene contains one song, and the next scene contains the next song, how do you overlap the scenes to get the 2 songs mixed? Would you have:

1) Scene 1 with song 1
2) Scene 2 with a loop/sample from the end of song 1 and a loop/sample from the beginning of song 2 :?:
3) Scene 3 with song 2

I'm really excited about DJ'ing with live - the possibilities are crazy - and I don't think I've got the skillz to exploit what live can do fully. Can some one help me out by giving me this first, surely simple, step???

Many Thanks...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:27 pm

Hi there, Sneak.
First off, there are a million ways to mix in live, but okay, for a simple and quick way to mix two tracks in live:

:arrow: Put the first song on track1, scene1. Select the empty slot just below it and press control+e . This deletes the empty clip, which means that the song above it will keep playing if scene 2 is selected.

:arrow: Secondly, place the second song you want to mix with on track2, scene2. Select the empty clip *above* it, and press crtl+e again.

:arrow: Finish off by pressing the "A" button at the bottom of track 1 and the "B" button at the bottom of track 2.

:arrow: Now play the song in track1, scene1. When you want to mix to track2, scene2 just press the second scene button and use the crossfader to mix.

:idea: When the first song is finished you can drag another song on top of it to load song number 3 and so on. Alternatively you could continue the proces either vertically(as before) or horizontally (using 3 or more tracks)
For a more in-depth walk-thru, check out this tutorial:

http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=t ... b=tips0404

Cheers!
Andreas

Sneakoftheweek

Cuttin' an' Scratchin'

Post by Sneakoftheweek » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:05 am

Thanks, Machinate - that makes it sound exactly like conventional DJ'ing. Can't wait to get it all set up and give it a try.