why does such good music get ignored in favour of pop crap?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
silverlulu

why does such good music get ignored in favour of pop crap?

Post by silverlulu » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:33 pm

hi,

you may think this is a bit of an obvious question but why do you think so many great artists struggle to get recognition?

this spans all genres obviously, but in this case i went to see tom mcrae who is an acoustic guitar player and singer. he was lamenting the fact that his tour tickets weren't selling that well and i personally think he is an awesome musician. but that is besides the point really.

obviously the "pop" market is aimed at young kids but you still get successful "musicians" which don't really appeal to young people.

why is the music industry so messed up in that respect? do you think it's an unwillingness on many artist's part, to compromise or sell out? or do you think people in general prefer something with a "catchy beat" or a "nice sound" instead of raw, painfully beautiful talent?
1.6ghz dual core laptop, 1.5 gig ram - Live 6, Massive, Albino, Z3ta, Battery, Morphine, Dominator. Alesis io2, Edirol pcr-30 midi keyboard, perception 100 mic and shure sm 58 mic.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 pm

because you're old.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Few people are out searching for great sounds. Most people are simply filling the space between their ears while doing whatever mudane thing they like to do. I personally love catching great artists in small venues; hopefully everybody else does not catch on to this. Seeing Ministry in a small club was something to experience. It is sad that those days are gone but, I have been fortunate enough to catch some great new acts in similar situations.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Alright, I get it. Lets here your stuff.... :roll:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Another question is why do some people insist any and all commercial pop music is crap.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm

beats me, beats me...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:07 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jamester

Post by jamester » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Tone Deft wrote:because you're old.
Or the opposite actually...

I know this type of thing bothered me greatly in my late teens and early twenties, when things were still "new" to me and I was on a mission to make the world a better place through art and music, blah blah blah...

Now in my thirties it's a whole other perspective, and I understand that:

1) Most people are tasteless simpletons who just wanna go through life following the herd and not thinking for themselves, and

2) "A fool and his money are easily parted"

Keep it dumbed down, push it hard, reap the profits. This formula has been working for a long, long time. But it doesn't really bother me anymore, I accept it. It's disapointing, but not particularly troublesome.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:16 pm

beats me wrote:Another question is why do some people insist any and all commercial pop music is crap.
They only say that when their own pop crap is being ignored.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:38 pm

sweetjesus - hilarious, that's me, drives people nuts.

jamester wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:because you're old.
Or the opposite actually...

I know this type of thing bothered me greatly in my late teens and early twenties, when things were still "new" to me and I was on a mission to make the world a better place through art and music, blah blah blah...

Now in my thirties it's a whole other perspective, and I understand that:

1) Most people are tasteless simpletons who just wanna go through life following the herd and not thinking for themselves, and

2) "A fool and his money are easily parted"

Keep it dumbed down, push it hard, reap the profits. This formula has been working for a long, long time. But it doesn't really bother me anymore, I accept it. It's disapointing, but not particularly troublesome.
1 - you were never that simpleton as a kid? I think we all have some guilty pleasures.

2 - again, kids with expendible incomes. they don't work for their money, if they do, they don't need it to pay rent or bar bills. they get money from mom and dad.

Molly Cyrus and Hanna Montana... either one can make more people more money in one night than your four favorite bands combined on the same bill.

also, when you're a kid you hear about the new shit faster and it's more tied to your identity and who your friends are.

pop music is all about the kids, it's their turn. ;)

my $0.02.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:39 pm

knotkranky wrote:
beats me wrote:Another question is why do some people insist any and all commercial pop music is crap.
They only say that when their own pop crap is being ignored.
:D

I know it's also sometimes hard to swallow but there are a great many people who don't find music as important as we do and it's not worth the effort to seek out anything more than what they are spoon fed. Some people might be horrified by my taste in paintings but it's not that important to me and nor do I know what is great art and what is shit. I just know what I like looking at.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:54 pm

true.

so what's new and good anyway?

Pandora might shut down. :(
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:00 pm

beats me wrote: :D

I know it's also sometimes hard to swallow but there are a great many people who don't find music as important as we do and it's not worth the effort to seek out anything more than what they are spoon fed. Some people might be horrified by my taste in paintings but it's not that important to me and nor do I know what is great art and what is shit. I just know what I like looking at.
Yep, its definately not that important to non music geeks. Most people are not looking for good music, they just want something that is catchy, easy to relate too, and easy to sing along too. Easy to get into. Also, they are heavily influenced by what other people like. Its easier that way.

Just accept it silverlulu, there is nothing you can do about it and its not even worth getting riled up about. Unless you want to drive yourself crazy of course. Then, by all means, go ahead ;)