DJ Software and Library

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xxxmorphicxxx

DJ Software and Library

Post by xxxmorphicxxx » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:02 pm

A couple DJing related questions...

For Djing in a club/bar setting, do you think Live would be overkill and/or require too much preparation? Would something simple that can be used on the fly like Virtual DJ Pro be better?

I own both, and so far Virtual DJ pro seems to be easier to use, more stable, and would be good for taking requests, etc.

I use Live for my original music projects, but I'm wondering if it just isnt the best software for actually DJing.

Also, to build my mp3 library what do you guys recommend? Maybe reviewing billboard charts for the past 10 years then downloading the tracks or something similar?

Thanks, I'm new to the DJ world.

FlatBeat

Post by FlatBeat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:28 pm

In my opinion, Live is sort of uncool to take to a bar. It's sort of like turning up to a football match with £1000 boots. On the other hand if you take your live setup and do well people are gonna respect you. If you turn up unusual gear your'e gonna have to try harder to impress. Just my opinion tho :wink:
Stick... to the B.E.A.T , get ready to ignite

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:49 pm

I used to use VDJ, and I found it to be great for just playing tunes. The FX were not too impressive, but did change whatever tune just enough.

I know Live gives you incredibly different abilities as a DJ, but that does require out of the box thinking (compared to the more traditional DJ'n).

But to each is own, you might find that out of the box thinking to come quick, and Live might be the way for you to go.

Why not try out some sets at home, Live vs. Virtual DJ, burn to CD, and examine the sound vs. your experience?

As far as finding tunes go, yeah, grabbing what you can from a big list like the Billboard top whatever will certainly get you the most popular tunes...