How many of you just use ableton..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 am

I use Ableton for all my own stuff, however for multi-tracking and rather more conventional track+mix projects I'll use Cabuse 4.

I do sometimes mix down to stems in live and do final mix down in Cubuse - just because it has much better workflow for this.

I also sometimes use Cubase for midi recording and editing - just because it has groove templates whereas Live still doesnt have this capability yet - Grrrr!
Nothing to see here - move along!

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:52 pm

8)
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Live only.
The ease of use outweighs missing features for me at this point. Plus I've been using it exclusively for 6 years, so I know it backwards and forwards. My main barrier is myself, my ears, and my knowledge, not the app.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:49 pm

i used to use flstudio , i switched to live becuase of their session view , and the live thing , now im a bit dissapointed , live lacks of so many features a decent sequencers has, flstudio certanly has them, fl has so many options , there is always a way to do anything in live when it gets complicated you always have to do walkarounds and they are always complicated.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:53 pm

I read an interview with Sasha recently and he said that their normal process is to create everything in Live and then move it to Logic only for final mastering and all that kind of stuff - which is what a lot of people do.

Interestingly, he went on to say that for a few of the tracks on his new album they didn't use Logic at all and did everything for them in Live. Which I guess shows that Live did improve a fair bit with v7 and that it is viable for start to finish music making.

I don't use anything else but then I've never made any tracks or recordings. But even if I did I'd still use Live - I've always thought that music doesn't have to sound perfect. Even if Logic does produce a higher quality finished product I'm happy sticking with what Live produces - might not be perfect in some peoples opinion but I don't think it needs to be.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:03 pm

I use both, Live and Logic...a perfect couple :wink: but at the end, my main program is definitely Live...for my live sets and live acts.

zenelectric

Post by zenelectric » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:17 pm

I use Live *almost* exclusivley. I'm 99% midi composition anyways, so no need for much more functionality.

Used to use Reason (2+ years ago), but migrated fully to Live now.

I sometimes use Reaper for final editing of a track's rendered audio, but not before the mix is finalised in Ableton.

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:31 pm

I use Live only, too. The Session View is simply awesome for creating songs.

lola

Post by lola » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:38 pm

I use live + an external editor..that's all..... why need logic of cubase or fruity loops?

Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:40 pm

I use only Live + Operator 8)

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:43 pm

I find it interesting that people are using Live as the main writing tool (for speed of us) and then using something else to ReWire into to finish with. For a while I planned to just do this: use Live to write in and then take the finished tracks for someone else to master, by ReWiring out of Live. Anyone doing that method?

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Live only. yummers.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Live only unless something else is forced on me. eg. Back in Sonar because I'm running a Vista 64 machine. Please Ableton bring on the 64-bit support!

hitechsoul15

Post by hitechsoul15 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:30 pm

duluxdog wrote:I find it interesting that people are using Live as the main writing tool (for speed of us) and then using something else to ReWire into to finish with. For a while I planned to just do this: use Live to write in and then take the finished tracks for someone else to master, by ReWiring out of Live. Anyone doing that method?
I was planning on doing this same process, does anyone have any experience tracking out ableton live in a pro studio. Was the process easy for the engineers? would you think it be cheaper to rewire live into pro tools before going into a studio?Would it be worth doing this process and would there be any advantages/disadvantages?

formatk

Post by formatk » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:41 pm

I've tried all of them, and this feels most natural for me coming from a background in making music with hardware phrase samplers. I treat Live like a giant phrase sampler with built in mixing fx and sequencing. I get stuff mastered after rendering out stems from live, but other than that it is all I use now, and don't feel like I'm missing any features for what I need except maybe some sort of looping instrument like an akai headrush. I think other DAWS are better for more traditional sequencing needs, but isn't traditional a bit old skool these days?
http://www.myspace.com/formatk
http://www.karlsadler.com
http://www.kandledesign.com

Artist & Visualist
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM Live 7.0.14, OSX10.6.2, Launchpad, AkaiMPD24, Akai S20, Oxygen 8, Presonus Inspire, Rode NT1a/M3, Shure SM58