Greetings from Abu Dhabi!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

Greetings from Abu Dhabi!

Post by hambone1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:49 am

What a fantastic place!

Perfect weather, kind people with morals, standards, and values, tons of recreational activities and entertainment, superb shopping, and cheap gas.

Haven't found a negative yet!

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:54 am

Pictures, please! I need a bit of sun here today.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

David Brent

Re: Greetings from Abu Dhabi!

Post by David Brent » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 am

hambone1 wrote:What a fantastic place!

Perfect weather, kind people with morals, standards, and values, tons of recreational activities and entertainment, superb shopping, and cheap gas.

EDIT: Sorry for any problem this may have caused
Last edited by David Brent on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Macbook Pro 17" - NI Komplete - Zebra 2 - Remote SL Zero -

logic_user99

Re: Greetings from Abu Dhabi!

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:04 am

David Brent wrote:
hambone1 wrote:What a fantastic place!

Fuck You! Go suck a wide dick!!!
That's, er, nice...?!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:09 am

Told you you would like it man! :D

Let me know if they still do the eat as much as you like Sunday Brunch Buffet at the Sheraton. :lol:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:15 am

Went to the three clubs in the Abu Dhabi Hilton last night, two with bands and one with a DJ. Fantastic, apart from the putrid stench of cigarette smoke and expensive drinks!

The Hilton private beach is great, too. The expats keep their Hobie Cats there, which is something I'd like to get into.

Business and construction are expanding at an exponential rate. If you get an opportunity to work here, go for it. Don't let the fact that it's in the Middle East deter you. It's extremely safe and as long as you respect the local culture, it's very Western.

David Brent

Post by David Brent » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:27 am

hambone1 wrote:Went to the three clubs in the Abu Dhabi Hilton last night, two with bands and one with a DJ. Fantastic, apart from the putrid stench of cigarette smoke and expensive drinks!

The Hilton private beach is great, too. The expats keep their Hobie Cats there, which is something I'd like to get into.

Business and construction are expanding at an exponential rate. If you get an opportunity to work here, go for it. Don't let the fact that it's in the Middle East deter you. It's extremely safe and as long as you respect the local culture, it's very Western.

EDIT: Sorry for any problem this may have caused
Last edited by David Brent on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macbook Pro 17" - NI Komplete - Zebra 2 - Remote SL Zero -

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:50 pm

hambone1 wrote: It's extremely safe and as long as you respect the local culture, it's very Western.

What exactly does that mean? I'm very interested in this. I'm considering a move, but I've been watching "locked up abroad" and your comment makes me nervous.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:10 pm

ChiDJ wrote:
hambone1 wrote: It's extremely safe and as long as you respect the local culture, it's very Western.

What exactly does that mean? I'm very interested in this. I'm considering a move, but I've been watching "locked up abroad" and your comment makes me nervous.
I'd also watch Hostel 1 and 2 before considering a move. I think the Bush administration produced that tv series and both movies.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:24 pm

beats me wrote:
ChiDJ wrote:

I'd also watch Hostel 1 and 2 before considering a move. I think the Bush administration produced that tv series and both movies.
Yeah,

Well as long as it's more like the first 1/2 of part 1, I'm all over it. :lol:
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:08 pm

I've only been here a little over a week, but my perspective of the Middle East has changed drastically. It's not all suicide bombings as the Western media would like you to believe.

I can only vouch for what I've experienced so far. This has got to be the safest and cleanest place I've ever lived, and the people are friendly and although there is lots of money here, I don't get the impression that the "keeping up with the Joneses" materialism of the US exists here. There is an obvious two-tiered socioeconomic system between those with money and those without, but it seems to work. Only 20% of the population are Emirati, with the balance being expats from many different countries.

The only negative I see with being here is the 90 minute commute each way every day. But the roads are big and modern, the drivers fast yet safe, and gas under $2 a gallon.

The greed and irresponsible borrowing in the US doesn't appear to have impacted the economy here, and there's no sign of recession.

If you get a chance to work here, go for it!

shhhhh

Post by shhhhh » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:21 pm

hambone1 wrote:It's not all suicide bombings as the Western media would like you to believe.
8O

Do you also mean that not all the Germans eat sausages and that the French don't actually stink?

Wow
I've got to stop watching those medias....

Well, we'll speak again in a few month when you'll be sick of fakeland. Until then have a great time! (I mean it)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:37 pm

shhhhh wrote:
hambone1 wrote:It's not all suicide bombings as the Western media would like you to believe.
8O

Do you also mean that not all the Germans eat sausages and that the French don't actually stink?

Wow

Well, we'll speak again in a few month when you'll be sick of fakeland. Until then have a great time! (I mean it)
are you american?

if in case the answer is YES, then please be so kind and don't talk about 'fakeland'

i spare the rest of my comments... just don't assume that 'your way of living / society structure' is something all people looking up to... but i guess that is what the media shuffled so much down your throat that you started to believe that.
*** Image GAFM ***

shhhhh

Post by shhhhh » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:51 pm

SubFunk wrote:
shhhhh wrote:
8O

Wow

are you american?

if in case the answer is YES, then please be so kind and don't talk about 'fakeland'

i spare the rest of my comments... just don't assume that 'your way of living / society structure' is something all people looking up to... but i guess that is what the media shuffled so much down your throat that you started to believe that.
Well, I'm actually of the stincky kind...
I mean french...

But I guess the author of this thread must be American making such statements as "It's not all suicide bombings"...
Unless you're an american diplomat, I don't think you have much to fear in Abu Dhabi. When's the last time you heard of a suicide bombing there?

And I would hate living in a country were 80% of the population is NOT local, and the remaining 20% live as if they were born were the majority comes from... That's why I called it fakeland.
But then the Hobie Cats sold me...

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:55 pm

Wow, glad it's working out for you. I'd love to see occasional photos of what your world is like over there, like the one you posted here. The only photos I've seen are very touristic.