Shop for me. What frickin' synth do I want?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
logic_user99

Shop for me. What frickin' synth do I want?

Post by logic_user99 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Having a 'major' shopping dilema at the moment (I say major, it's actually a completely selfish act of hardware advancement!) - what bleedin' hardware synth do I want in my studio?

I'm looking at a whole bunch of stuff at the moment, ranging from the less expensive right up to the luxury; have a potential spot of cash, and wouldn't mind enhancing my studio with a nice bit o' kit. At the moment, the following are on my list;

- Microkorg (videos seem to have decent, standard synth sound)
- DSI eVolver (lovely sounds, and FX too. Sounds like I'd be able to get some great sounds for the ambient/trip-hoppy stuff that I make)
- Moog Little Phatty (the very, very, very top of my price range as this sucker is expensive... lovely bass sounds, but I don't know if it'd do everything that I'd want)

I'm looking at hardware, 'cos I want something that I can toy with away from the computer; it gets a bit creativity-numbing looking at the screen all the time. However, would a copy of Operator do just the same job (albiet an 'on the screen' option)

What do you recon? I'm leaning towards the DSI as it's not bank-breakingly expensive and makes some sexy noises...although I'm a teeny bit scared to commit before weighing up all options.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:54 pm

Evolver!

Also consider the mono Evolver keyboard if you want more handson.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:57 pm

Kodama wrote:Evolver!

little phatty is sexy...

but I would get the evolver keyboard...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:16 am

I only think the filter of lp is sexy.

Everything else is sexier about the Evolver (capability, knobs).
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:21 am

i'd get a DSI mopho before the moog (i'm no expert, but think the sounds are pretty much indistiguishable, so the price differential makes all the difference (you could get the evolver and the mopho in place of the moog)).

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:25 am

Second hand beaten up Yamaha DX100 mini keys on ebay for 80-100 bucks. FM-inate your sounds and don't follow the analog sheep :wink: No touch sensitivity to over complicate things or filters, arpeggiators, effects or programmable controllers are available either. Small pitch and mod wheels. Simple presets and a nice mono jack to keep it real.

(it was good enough for Jean Michel Jarre and Jan Hammer to use back in the day, or for those who wanted a KX5 but couldn't afford one you can sling it over your shoulder with a strap and use it as a keytar). Orbital, Scanner, Autechre, Laurent Garnier have also used it.

It has the definitive 80's rubber band bass sound, what more could you want :lol:

Seriously cool, wish I could have my old one back (it expired in 1997).

http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:41 am

Ya FM is muy sexy.

:)

Rozzbox, Yamaha & Korg FM synths are teh sex

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:34 am

3dot... wrote:
Kodama wrote:Evolver!

little phatty is sexy...

but I would get the evolver keyboard...
This is easy. Definitely get the Evolver Keyboard, and the moof filter!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MEK/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MF101/

This comes in at about the same as a Little Phatty, will easily sound better IMO, and is far far more diverse. :)

If you could stand the desktop version of the Evolver, which I think is pretty cool really, it would come in at a much lower price tag! 8)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:24 am

nord modular g1
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:51 am

So, we're all leaning towards the eVolver? Excellent! (That's kinda what I wanted to hear, TBH).

For that money, I'd be able to pick up a Presonus Firebox, too. (although, I am looking at one of those firewire-up'ed mixers to connect everything to the Macbook).

@Johnisfaster - I've never considered anything Nord; are they decent VFM?
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:26 pm

I own the Evolver and the Microkorg, and would have to say go with the Evolver.
But.... if you do get the keyboard version! If it's something you want to actually play.
I tried using a midi contoller with the desktop version and there was too much latency,
There is also supporting software for an additional cost if ya wanna stare at a screen.
Being new to synthesis I found the Evolver hard to get to grips with, many of the buttons perform double duty and the small led screen is very cryptic as far as what's going on.
So I bought the suppoting software and everthing was good until I did a sys dump and "accidently" uploaded some morphed patches into the unit, which I wish I didn't and can't duplicate what I had done and ended up letting it sit for a year or so.
All that being said it has a very unique sound, a mix of true analog and digital synthesis.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:22 pm

The eVolver seems to be the way to go (am 99% sold on it.) However, I did just find a couple more bits an' bobs that have interested me.

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikel ... e_iie.html - MFB Synth Lite II. Look lovely, and some of the sounds that I've found on YouToob are pretty tasty.

There are, always, the Korg Electribe boxes...

Sound-wise, it's this kinda thing that I'm doing:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dQEmaj9C6ko - Boards of Canada
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xf66Lmrqk00 - More BoC!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2u_83y75ZG0 - Plaid

@bodhi71 - What kinda latency are you talking? The delay between key-on to note sounding? What were you controlling and what controller were you using?
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:15 pm

I have a Nord Micro Modular, amazing VFM, very flexible - but the programming software is very buggy (both the clavia & 3rd party). Very nice, but also very not hands-on.

The Electribe ESX may be a very good value for making BOC type beats. It's the most hands-on sampler for anything near the price. Much fun!

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Kodama wrote:I have a Nord Micro Modular, amazing VFM, very flexible - but the programming software is very buggy (both the clavia & 3rd party). Very nice, but also very not hands-on.

The Electribe ESX may be a very good value for making BOC type beats. It's the most hands-on sampler for anything near the price. Much fun!
I've seen those Nord MM boxes, and they look 'nuff tasty. Sadly, the software won't work in OSX... Bah!

Had a further look at the electribes, too. *lusty lusty lust*. The ESX is still big bucks! £300+ from what I've found. Pooh!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:59 pm

2nd the Mopho.

Sound is BIG and Dirty!

The Editor makes it really tweakable.

Wait, Never mind. Don't get it. It's too good to share. 8)
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"