First attempts with Virus Ti

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aMUSEd

First attempts with Virus Ti

Post by aMUSEd » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Just been trying out my Ti with Live for the first time. For some reason the sound seems cut short in a number of presets (including the intialised sound) compared to how they usually sound. However when I click the "Live" button they sound OK provided I just have the Virus Midi selected (if I use my usual soundcard midi timings go weird). Is that what the live button was originally for (Abletion Live)? I had assumed it was for lower latency playing.

Anyway I was able to record a track and then bounce it to an audio track by routing from the midi track - that is an effective method although in some hosts I can record both at the same time but Live won't let me have 2 tracks armed. The main surprise though was that I wasn't able to record automation in session view using the Viruses own knobs - I knew (as discussed in another thread) that this limitation applied to soft synth automation but didn't realise it would affect a hardware synth. I was thinking of using the Ti as a sort of midi controller for other synths to get round that limitation but is that not possible either?

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:41 pm

To arm more than one track at once, go to Preferences/Audio and deselect Exclusive Arm.

Dunno about the other problem, I use my old CS1x as a MIDI controller for Sylenth in Session View, it records knob tweaks fine.

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:47 pm

In session view I'm also finding the first few notes are not getting recorded. Fine in arrange view.

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:48 pm

dazzer wrote:To arm more than one track at once, go to Preferences/Audio and deselect Exclusive Arm.

Dunno about the other problem, I use my old CS1x as a MIDI controller for Sylenth in Session View, it records knob tweaks fine.
Cool thanks

Yeah it's weird as the Ti can function as a midi controller and I had enabled the Virus midi ins

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:48 pm

The TI works like a champ for me in Logic but I've never been able to get it to work via Virus Control in Live.

aMUSEd

Post by aMUSEd » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Yeah it works well for me in Sonar too but so far in Live there seem to be some problems.

Trip Downtown

Post by Trip Downtown » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:46 am

I use the TI in Live with the integration vsti for all my songs. Haven't had any problems. I thought they'd fixed any bugs with Live. <shrug>

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:13 am

When the TI is communicating with Virus Control in Live, the knobs themselves don't transmit MIDI. Only the pitch and mod wheels do. If you remove virus control (just have the TI connected as any other midi controller), you'll see that the knobs actually do transmit MIDI. Bear in mind, that you need to have Remote turned ON for the Virus TI Synth Input (MIDI/SYNC tab in preferences).

The only things you can automate with virus control are Filter 1 cutoff, resonance, oscillator volume, and whatever you have assigned to the three soft knobs. And, as I said before, the pitch and mod wheels.

So you kind of have to limit yourself to that, which kind of sucks because you're almost forced to pre-plan what you need to assign to the three soft knobs and the mod wheel. Kind of takes away from being able to improvise.

Then again you could always run it as a regular outboard MIDI instrument. Send it MIDI through the usb port or regular midi cables and get audio from the analog outs. But of course, you lose all the extra channels you can get through USB.

One thing I did notice though... there's a bunch of slots that show up in Live's dropdown automation menu, named "unmapped", but i'm kind of perplexed by that. Kind of a sign that there may be a way to assign parameters to these slots, but I'm stumped.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:03 am

aqua_tek wrote: One thing I did notice though... there's a bunch of slots that show up in Live's dropdown automation menu, named "unmapped", but i'm kind of perplexed by that. Kind of a sign that there may be a way to assign parameters to these slots, but I'm stumped.
Hell yeah, been wondering about that myself.

If you work it out, please post. :)

Will keep trying.......there has to be a way.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:34 am

Sibanger wrote:
aqua_tek wrote: One thing I did notice though... there's a bunch of slots that show up in Live's dropdown automation menu, named "unmapped", but i'm kind of perplexed by that. Kind of a sign that there may be a way to assign parameters to these slots, but I'm stumped.
Hell yeah, been wondering about that myself.

If you work it out, please post. :)

Will keep trying.......there has to be a way.
EEK! I just figured it out!!!!!!!

CTRL + click (or right click) on a parameter knob or slider on Virus Control and you get a popup menu... The first option in the menu:

Add "____" to Automation.

And vice-versa, any parameter that's already part of the automation list can be removed in the same fashion... which helps clear up space for you to customize your own automation list.

EDIT:
Also... i was thinking it would be nice to be able to clear the entire automation list to start from scratch, but I still havent found a way...

BUT...

In the same little popup menu, what you can do is, REPLACE an existing parameter from a list with the one you want to add. Say, for example, you want to add FM amount to the very first automation slot. Then right click on it, and in the popup menu, go to "PART 1", for example, and from that part's submenu, click on the parameter you want to replace with FM amount.

BRILLIANT!

Works for ALMOST ALL PARAMETERS! At least the important ones.

It's funny how a single right click takes care of a problem. Like they say, the simplest, dumbest solution is usually the right one :lol:

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:21 am

Wow Nathan, that didn't take you long.

The old 'right click trick'. Who would've thought?:oops:

Thanks so much for sorting that out. :D