Launchpad latency on session mode (Update: youtube link)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
coke

Launchpad latency on session mode (Update: youtube link)

Post by coke » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:11 am

Hello!

I just got a launchpad and I'm making it work with the included Live 8 Launchpad Edition 8.0.6 and I've noticed that when in session mode in the launchpad there is a little lag/latency when mashing the clips with quantization=none. If I map the clips via the midi menu, they play instantly and I can press them really fast and they respond as they should, but in the normal session mode (as is, automatically loading/assigning the clips into the session mode on the launchpad) there is a lag that makes the live playing without quantization unreliable at least, unusable at most sometimes.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1420, core2duo 2GHZ, 2GB Ram, win xp sp3

Is this a known issue? it relates to the hardware? can any other launchpad user confirm this?

Thank you, I think I'm new here :)
Last edited by coke on Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coke

Re: Launchpad latency on session mode

Post by coke » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:16 pm

I've updated to the last Lite version (8.2.1) and the latest driver (I think it was the same) and the problem persist.

It's imposible to mash the clips rithmically in the session "screen"/mode :( :cry: :cry:

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:57 pm

What instruments are you using in the set?

coke

Post by coke » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:46 am

No instruments, I get the lag even if I only have samples loaded

coke

Post by coke » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:57 pm

I have made a video showing the diference between midi mapped sample triggering and session mode sample triggering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GRz5_gPyZs

Skip to 0:26 where the test begin

The firs row (at the right of the video) is the clips as they appear in the session mode on the launchpad.

The other row (the one that is flashing) is those same clips midi mapped within live.

Please help, I bought this equipment to be able to play with the samples quickly, not to launch quantized scenes.

Can anyone confirm that they launchpad works without latency on session mode? maybe is just the way it is? :cry:

Ableton_David

Re: Launchpad latency on session mode (Update: youtube link)

Post by Ableton_David » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:42 am

Hi, would you post a screenshot of the set? Thanks.

coke

Post by coke » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:31 am

i didn't saved it, but it was like this:

I don't remember the bpm of the original project, but I think it didn't have any relevance.

I have seen other people in the forum having problems with the cpu usage, it¿s not my case, the CPU ussage is low.

I have seen other launchpad user reporting a delay with changing pages on the launchpad, but I don't have that problem either, the changes between pages is fast, although I can notice how the buttons change very fast from left to right when changing between session/user1/2/mixer pages.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:33 pm

How drastically does the tempo change at the warp marker? Also, try setting your start point to be 1.1.1.

coke

Post by coke » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:34 pm

David Abravanel wrote:How drastically does the tempo change at the warp marker? Also, try setting your start point to be 1.1.1.
The tempo doesn't change at all inside the clip, is a 16 bar loop

The second clip is with the start point at 1.1.1 and it suffer from the same problem :(

Do you know if others launchpads suffer from the same syntom?

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 am

mine has the same problem with the exact settings... My padKontrol is spot on but there is a latency of ~50-100ms with Launchpad when I trigger samples.

coke

Post by coke » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:20 pm

iloyd2 wrote:mine has the same problem with the exact settings... My padKontrol is spot on but there is a latency of ~50-100ms with Launchpad when I trigger samples.
Hello iloyd2, can you tell me your hardware setup? windows or mac?

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:06 pm

coke wrote:
iloyd2 wrote:mine has the same problem with the exact settings... My padKontrol is spot on but there is a latency of ~50-100ms with Launchpad when I trigger samples.

Hey, my setup is:

Unibody MBP 2.8 with 8 gig ram. Coreaudio with 8ms latency. I have the latency no matter which USB port I use, if I have a hub or not, or how many devices I have connected. The 60-80ms latency is always there with Launchpad. I'm kinda convinced that this is an hardware issue with Launchpad. All my gear works perfect on time including: padKontrol, Novation 37 SL, Nanokeys, Akai LPK.

coke

Post by coke » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:32 pm

iloyd2 wrote:
coke wrote:

Hey, my setup is:

Unibody MBP 2.8 with 8 gig ram. Coreaudio with 8ms latency. I have the latency no matter which USB port I use, if I have a hub or not, or how many devices I have connected. The 60-80ms latency is always there with Launchpad. I'm kinda convinced that this is an hardware issue with Launchpad. All my gear works perfect on time including: padKontrol, Novation 37 SL, Nanokeys, Akai LPK.
Oh :( that's too bad, I would love to hear from some another Novation Launchpad user that the thing works as intended, if I would considered the APC better :(

Anyway, I think is not hardware related, beacause the other modes in my launchpad work flawless without any noticiable latency, I think it is a software issue with the way Live and the Launchpad talk to each other on the session mode.

I have contacted Novation but they doesn' answer neither :(

iloyd2

Post by iloyd2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:43 pm

coke wrote:( that's too bad, I would love to hear from some another Novation Launchpad user that the thing works as intended, if I would considered the APC better :(

Anyway, I think is not hardware related, beacause the other modes in my launchpad work flawless without any noticiable latency, I think it is a software issue with the way Live and the Launchpad talk to each other on the session mode.

I hope it's not an hardware issue and they have a solution. On my side I can also notice a lag when I press the mute button on/off in Mixer mode.

coke

Post by coke » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:52 pm

iloyd2 wrote:
coke wrote:( that's too bad, I would love to hear from some another Novation Launchpad user that the thing works as intended, if I would considered the APC better :(

I hope it's not an hardware issue and they have a solution. On my side I can also notice a lag when I press the mute button on/off in Mixer mode.
I don't have that lag at all as I recall, I would have to do the test and come back to tell you.

I am now emailing with novation support, but I think the problem I have is with the ableton mapping of the launchpad.