MJDJ MIDI Morph - Use Python/Java to write midi translators

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danryanfl

MJDJ MIDI Morph - Use Python/Java to write midi translators

Post by danryanfl » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Most have hear of Bome's Midi translator right.... ? I was going through the process of modifying my fairly complex bome's template for my APC40 setup and thought to myself: "this language is so low level and clumsy, it would be so much easier if you could just write the translators in a language like Python".

Today I was searching the internet for a python library that would give functionality to sit as a translator between midi streams and found mjdj midi morph. It is a FREE program written in Java that lets you write "translators" in the java language OR ANY OTHER LANGUAGE THAT RUNS ON THE JAVA VIRTUAL MACHINE, which includes Jython (the java implementation of Python).

I have yet to play with this yet; but, I am super excited.

Has anybody else ever heard of this or tried using it before?

3dot...

Re: MJDJ MIDI Morph - Use Python/Java to write midi translators

Post by 3dot... » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:14 pm

in max(m4l) I've tried using the Java Libs to no avail..
I could write hooks which send out keystrokes..
but they only worked on anything other than Live..like..in firefox..
which is cool but I don't really need that
I think maybe because the JVM is contained in the m4l thread...I dunno.. I left it alone..
and gone back to bomes/Automap

why not use bomes? it's rather simple..compared to writing code no?
it's lightweight..
and most importantly .. it works !

danryanfl

Post by danryanfl » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:15 pm

danryanfl wrote:why not use bomes? it's rather simple..compared to writing code no?
The point is that a higher level language would cut down development time considerably and increase the flexibility of what you can implement. You could write one python function that does the work of countless bome's translator/variable combinations... and then if you work classes etc in, it could make programming different controller "modes" very straightforward (plus did I mention that it is free?)

Haven't got home to try it yet though, so if reliability is an issue, that would obviously be a dealbreaker

dr2050

Post by dr2050 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi. I'm the author of MJDJ (and MIDI Designer). I use MJDJ in my live rig, and it's VERY stable. My bandmates also use it to route MIDI -- it handles conflicting device names and non-standard MIDI message types, so it beats out most alternatives. I also run an advanced Morph that I use with it called the Robot, which does MIDI looping. With MIDI clock received from Ableton Live, it's... amazing.

I've also been using it recently to convert Note-On and Aftertouch to MIDI CCs, so my QuNexus can now drive a proper mellotron. This is about two lines of code in MJDJ...

MJDJ is *extremely* stable. Of course it's "just" a MIDI translator, but it never crashes nor lags, unlike some of our other favorite programs ;)

The only limitation is that Java -- or really, MJDJ -- cannot pick up added or removed MIDI devices, so if something gets unplugged the App has to be restarted. This isn't a huge limitation because MJDJ itself and each individual Morph gets its config serialized, so on restart it's ready to resume where it left off.

MJDJ MIDI Morph should also be getting a slightly more significant update soon. Notably, all Morphs will be able to take advantage of the Null Morph connector screen. I also need to investigate and potentially develop how morphs are chained. Anyway, if anyone wants to help out on the core project, please let me know!
Dan Rosenstark
Author & CEO
MIDI Designer for iOS
dream | create | play your perfect MIDI controller

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Hey, I'd love to have a go with MJDJ... My dev skills are very minimal, but I have lots of experience with bome's (don't use it anymore since m4l). M4l is such a big thing to break out for midi mapping though...

Thanks!
-S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva

dr2050

Post by dr2050 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:58 am

Minimal dev skills are fine, once you get it set up, but you write the morphs in code.

There's an extensive tutorial here:

http://confusionists.wikispaces.com/Mjd ... ugh+1+of+4

which hasn't been tested in a LONG time. Glad for any feedback or comments.

Thanks!
Dan
Dan Rosenstark
Author & CEO
MIDI Designer for iOS
dream | create | play your perfect MIDI controller