USB-C Cable vs. Dongle

Discuss Push with other users.
Dumzui

USB-C Cable vs. Dongle

Post by Dumzui » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:32 pm

BACKGROUND Native Ableton Push and Push 2 user. Running Windows 10 on command center DAW and satellite DAW. Updating tour rig to MacBook Pro with all USB-C/Thunderbolt/Firewire all in one solution for USB connections. The Computer will NOT carry USB - A on-board.

First, I would like to start out by saying that I refuse to stake my thousands of dollars worth of studio equipment - and my career- on a shoddy adaptor from apple. I will not use the dongle for USB. Simple. So the next viable solution is to replace all of my cables themselves. The first order of business is to locate a source which carries high grade gold-plated USB-C to USB-B cables that can consistently supply my rig with sturdy connections. The next step, which I have already completed, was to contact APPLE and ABLETON to specifically ask clarification on two major issues. One is whether the adaptor would add latency. The answer was no. The reason is that the dongle is of passive design and does not digitally convert the signal in any way which would not be accomplishable with a soldiering iron. Second was to determine from Ableton United States Support Center if the USB cable shipped with the Push 2 unit is proprietary, as I seemed to have read in the operation manual. The answer is NO. The cable is in fact interchangeable, however the technician warned me that the depth of penetration into the unit is higher than most other units, and it may be required that I shave away plastic to allow generic cables suitable access to the connectors in the baseplate of the USB receptacle. Thank you

Tarekith

Re: USB-C Cable vs. Dongle

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Just bought a new MBP a few weeks ago, been using these with no issues at all:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AU ... UTF8&psc=1

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:12 am

I've been using the USB-C MBP since Jan this year.

I've used the Push 2 with 2 different setups and have faced absolutely no issues. When I'm travelling, I use the $5 USBC to USB 2.0 adapters, works fine, but I would say it isn't very sturdy if you're looking into performing live and stuff. Although, I haven't faced any issue with the Push disconnecting, my hard-drive disconnects if I nudge it even slightly.

In the studio, I'm using a j5create USB C > 7-port USB hub. This works flawlessly with all my gear plugged in!

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:17 pm

USB-C to USB3-A, USB-C to USB3-B and USB-C to USB2-B cables exist already and can be found for under $10. So if all your peripherals are USB, you are all set.

Thunderbolt 1 and 2 use cables with active circuitry inside, which is why the cables are so expensive. Thunderbolt 3 uses passive USB-C cabling, so when used with legacy Thunderbolt devices, a powered adapter of some sort is required. Whether anyone will make an actual Thunderbolt 2 to 3 cable as opposed to the Apple-style adapter remains to be seen.

bwanicur

Post by bwanicur » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:02 am

Tarekith - I'm really surprised. I'm not finding lots of positive feedback for the 2016 Macbook Pro (USB-C only).

For me personally, it's the most unstable computer I've ever owned and the thought of trying to use it live is terrifying. It works well until I try to plug in a audio interface.

I've tried 2 different USB audio interfaces (Apogee ONE and Resident Audio T4) and about 1/2 dozen different adapters (USB-A - USB-C, Thunderbolt to USB-C, etc...). My issue is that the audio interface will drop out (every few hours if I'm using audio software) and only a reboot will fix it in a reliable way.

Anyone else have feedback ? I thought music producers unlucky enough to be forced into USB-C would be putting more bad reviews out there. If you look on Apple's own website, some of their own adapters have a 2 star rating :/ The problem seems to be finding adapters that work. Anyone solve this issue ?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:44 am

Definitely not seeing issues like that here, sorry you’re running into that.