DJs - What do you do with dummy clips?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
whalebox

DJs - What do you do with dummy clips?

Post by whalebox » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Yo y'all,

I'm working on my DJ template based on the APC40 and I set it up so the crossfader all the way to the left is a dry channel and all the way to the right is a wet channel with dummy clips on it. So far I've only done some simple chopping with volume envelopes and a couple of simple filter sweeps with an EQ8 but I feel like I'm not quite using them to their full potential.

So my question is for the DJs and other live performers, what kind of things do you do with dummy clips? Links to threads/als files would be really cool. :) thanks guys.

TheJakeR

Re: DJs - What do you do with dummy clips?

Post by TheJakeR » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:11 pm

+1

I've got a block of set loops made from a beat repeat, but nothing else. I need some more effects to add in there!

Furland

Post by Furland » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:35 pm

I just throw as much junk inside the corresponding racks as possible and se what works and what don't :-) Got a standard filterbox with bitcrushers, loopers, spaced out autofilter/Ping Pong delay/Reverb combos and whatnots.
Try it with everything in the arsenal, and don't stop before all effects have been combined, routed or misused in all possible ways.

I will post my Filterbox for public use one day as I believe in sharing, but it still needs perfection, so until that no example I'm afraid.

MrH

Post by MrH » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:36 pm

I got some beat repeats on mine and also a nice fade to grey for going from one track to another. Works quite well.
Live 8 I 13" Macbook Aluminium I Akai APC 40 I Korg PadKontrol

www.ozgoode.com
www.twitter.com/ozgoode

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:06 pm

I have 49 buttons on my axis 49 (duh..) so i still have tons of dummy clips to spare for triggering on it (using it as a non-visual monome :)). and the launchpad will give me another 2x 64..

i have some filtering effects + some beat repeats. open for suggestions :) (one could take just trigger all those dj effects listed in the big thread here per button :))
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

littlelosthorse

Post by littlelosthorse » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:31 pm

At the moment I've only got a few beat repeats and delays + and autofilter for builds. If you play fairly 4onthefloor straight, unsyncopated type music, you can use beat repeat to make the rhythm a bit more breakbeaty which is always nice. Only just started playing with dummy clips really... :)
*horse*

whalebox

Post by whalebox » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:14 am

I know this has probably been done to death, but one problem I have is picking effects with dummy clips. Say I have one track with 6 different effects on it, but I only want some of those effects to play some of the time (i.e. beat repeats work when I'm playing one dummy clip, autofilter works on another). What's the easiest way to set this up, so you can have dummy clips only work on certain effects?

I hope this makes sense, but the whole problem is kind of confusing to me in general.

dataf1ow

Post by dataf1ow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:54 am

whalebox wrote:I know this has probably been done to death, but one problem I have is picking effects with dummy clips. Say I have one track with 6 different effects on it, but I only want some of those effects to play some of the time (i.e. beat repeats work when I'm playing one dummy clip, autofilter works on another). What's the easiest way to set this up, so you can have dummy clips only work on certain effects?

I hope this makes sense, but the whole problem is kind of confusing to me in general.
Put all the effects in the rack on different spots on the chain selector. its to the right of the list of chains. map a macro to the chain selector. Use clip envelopes to choose the correct position on the chain selector for the desired effect. Thats the easiest way ive found to trigger dummy clips.

Haywire

Post by Haywire » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:37 pm

anyone got a link to a introduction to this dummy clip stuff or macros?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Dummy clips guide = The covert operators... (search and ye shall find)

Dummy Clips to download = Tom Cosm's mega set! (Same agin it's on here when you know what to look for!)

Cheers
D