Max for Live - first impressions?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
4/4
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:38 pm

citizenchris099 wrote:
4/4 wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote:
I can see your point...though I can see how an "app store" like set up would encourage more patches.
Well, no disrespect Chris, but you clearly don't know jack about the max community. It's huge, positively over-flowing with freely accessible content for those who expose themselves to it. It doesn't need encouragement in that regard. It's not broken. Don't fix it by completely flipping the script. If someone needs financial encouragement to create content, they'll do so of their own accord without being lead down that path. That's how its thrived for years.
Well I sorta do know quite a bit about Max and Pure Data...I took a course and all. Maybe the professor was full of crap...but I'm pretty sure I know at least "jack" about Max. That being said I'm not attacking anyone here and certianly don't think I should be attacked....I was just trying to get some clarification from you as to what paradigm you are speaking of.
Just because I dont want to sit around making patches in Max in the little amount of time I get to work on music doesn't mean I dont know how or that I "don't know jack" as you put it.
Dude, help me out here, is english your first language ?
Because I said community. We have been talking about communities and distribution environments here, not the inner workings of the programme.

I'm not attacking anyone, just stating facts as diplomatically as possible.
When you said you could see how a patch store would encourage more patches, you illustrated quite clearly your lack of exposure to the max community over the last umpteen years. Because the community has been churning out patches just fine without any prevailing urge to sell every little doo-dad, infact the refinement of those freely shared patches are key to the community's success. In my opinion.

It's alot harder to refine & redistribute something you had to spend $X.00 on. And ultimately patch quality would suffer if this formula was tampered with.
Image

LOFA
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:10 pm

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by LOFA » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:39 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
LOFA wrote:Personally I sometimes wish I spent the last five years learning C++ or Objective C than max msp, so I can understand when someone would rather just make music than beta test and redevelop the wheel (or develop "other wheels".)
There's a problem with your thinking. The hell with wheels. Jetpacks and hoverbikes!
I mean, at least give me the freaking hovering skateboard.
I hover corrected :wink:

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by 3phase » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:43 pm

So I take you have your copy reserved?

i like modular synthezisers.. but i ve more than i can handle allready... patching eats time..its a different world to music production..its sound or instrument design... its like a crossword puzzle while doing music is like surfing..
and music production is like a mansonary job.. i often prefered to escape into the crossworld puzzels instead doing the blockmoving shit that is pretty unavoidable for release ready products..

the easiest way to surf is using presets... so the culture vutures surf while the people with ideas waste theier energy in patching..

i really dont see how this will bring techno further..

at least people that use the presets for theire surfing should have honour enough to credit the patch creators that allowed them to surf..

however..there are not many patches out there that alow to surf because many patchers have no idea about surfing..
that was the good thing about live in the first days..because ther was a strong idea behind it from somebody that had an idea about surfing... sadly this has weathered quite badly over time... by now live is one of the programs with the most unecessary moves you have to do during production tasks..

the new features are nice in a way. but so nerdishly stupid implemented that its not realy fun..prepares us to be patchers when extracting a groove needs hours because you have to set any tranient marker by hand...
Last edited by 3phase on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

citizenchris099
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:47 pm

4/4 wrote:
Dude, help me out here, is english your first language ?
Because I said community. We have been talking about communities and distribution environments here, not the inner workings of the programme.

I'm not attacking anyone, just stating facts as diplomatically as possible.
When you said you could see how a patch store would encourage more patches, you illustrated quite clearly your lack of exposure to the max community over the last umpteen years. Because the community has been churning out patches just fine without any prevailing urge to sell every little doo-dad, infact the refinement of those freely shared patches are key to the community's success. In my opinion.

It's alot harder to refine & redistribute something you had to spend $X.00 on. And ultimately patch quality would suffer if this formula was tampered with.

Your original comment to me what that I didn't know "Jack" about Max. You didn't mention anything about community...you didn't say "you dont know jack about the Max community" If you had said that then I would have completely agreed with you. What if English wasn't my first language...are we now making fun of those who don't natively speak English? Or would my lack of ability to read things form your comments that aren't literally their be accepted?

4/4
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Ok now I get the feeling I'm being trolled.
Anyways look at this:
4/4 wrote:
citizenchris099 wrote:
I can see your point...though I can see how an "app store" like set up would encourage more patches.
Well, no disrespect Chris, but you clearly don't know jack about the max community. It's huge, positively over-flowing with freely accessible content for those who expose themselves to it. It doesn't need encouragement in that regard. It's not broken. Don't fix it by completely flipping the script. If someone needs financial encouragement to create content, they'll do so of their own accord without being lead down that path. That's how its thrived for years.

I figured if english wasn't your first language it might account for your inexplicable lack of understanding. Now I just realise, a tad too late, that you is some kind of deadpan troll.
Image

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:53 pm

4/4 wrote:Dude, help me out here, is english your first language ?....I'm not attacking anyone, just stating facts as diplomatically as possible.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
































































douchebag
Image Image Image Image

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:55 pm

4/4 wrote:Ok now I get the feeling I'm being trolled.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, bro, you're right...you're the victim here.
Image Image Image Image

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:56 pm

Rave wrote: PMSL you are the troll. What is your affiliation with the Max community?
No no, Rave, you got it backwards. We're all the trolls, and 4 on the floor here is the victim.

Clearly you don't "get it"
Image Image Image Image

4/4
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by 4/4 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:58 pm

*shrug*

Well, surprise surprise. People who don't know what they're talking about don't like being told that they're wrong.

Guys I know I've bested you in this discussion when you can't come at me with anything better than bush-league troll bait or lame ad hominems
Image

citizenchris099
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:00 pm

4/4 wrote:Ok now I get the feeling I'm being trolled.
Anyways look at this:
4/4 wrote:

I figured if english wasn't your first language it might account for your inexplicable lack of understanding. Now I just realise, a tad too late, that you is some kind of deadpan troll.
First off I'm not a troll...I'm a Smurf. Get it right.
Papa Smurf told me not to feed trolls though so im out of this discussion.
Last edited by citizenchris099 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:02 pm

4/4 you're right. You are either the victim. And/or you've won the debate. All while not slinging any mud or making personal attacks.

And by clearly *shrugging* you simply don't care either way.

Awesomeness.
Image Image Image Image

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Rave wrote:I would love to hear your productions?

/Me goes off to write some music
I bet he's got a boatload of Max patches he can share with us for free. Sadly, we don't know what we're talking about, and thus we wouldn't appreciate them. This relationship was over before it started... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0PUrNwvvBk
Image Image Image Image

citizenchris099
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by citizenchris099 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:06 pm

nebulae wrote:4/4 you're right. You are either the victim. And/or you've won the debate. All while not slinging any mud or making personal attacks.

And by clearly *shrugging* you simply don't care either way.

Awesomeness.
lets all collectively shrug....one two three....go.

ok now that we've shrugged......so yeah Max4Live....awesome stuff eh?

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by 3phase » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:10 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
About 40 audio effects each with about 5 presets (so far). Too much examples to count. 8 instruments with various amounts of presets. 2 step sequencers, more coming for sure.


Nice to hear that the preset set is too lame to affect the techno scene in any ways badly from the start..
Not with old fashioned ideas...
But i am anyway more scared about what the co genial parts of the user base might do with it..
Guess thats what ableton is hoping for... having the users as unpaid beta testers and now as developers to get the live funky again..
Please understand when i ve to pass out on this opertunity.. even when i have a handfull of usefull patch ideas that would improove my life on stage..
But considering the buggy enviroment i rather stick to my nords..especially because there the work is done allready.. and still so much more to do..

Actually patching with the nords is much more fun than with reaktor..and even more than patching with max..
A bit limited somehow regarding patching sequencers..what is my hobby.. but at least nobody in the nord or reaktor scene is lusting after a step sequencer ... thats kinda lame somehow in the year 2010...

finaly ableton live has the opertunity to have an on board step sequencer..spread the great news.. its only 300 bucks :-))
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: Max for Live - first impressions?

Post by nebulae » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:10 pm

^ you passed 3K and didn't give mad props. You don't deserve a *hug*










































but you get one anyway, you filthy stinky frenchie! *hugs and mad props*
Image Image Image Image

Post Reply