Can I use Launchpad as a keyboard

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cyberheater

Can I use Launchpad as a keyboard

Post by cyberheater » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 am

Newbie alert here.

I just bought Launchpad + full Live 8 upgrade.

If I have a midi instrument in one of the slots. Can I use the Launchpad to enter note information when recording like you can with a mpc?

Emissary

Re: Can I use Launchpad as a keyboard

Post by Emissary » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:23 am

yep, user 1 mode, it goes up in fours on the left and then the right. quite nifty.

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 am

it's good fun as a keyboard for synthwork

gliiitches gliiitches gliiitches

Post by gliiitches gliiitches gliiitches » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:33 am

I am loving this function. I also like that using LP I can quickly arm a track, select a clip to record into, then start entering MIDI note data, and then begin looping the clip - and all without touching the laptop/mouse! :D

The only ways LP could be improved for me is to be bigger (I want a 16x16 one!) and to have velocity sensitive pads. The latter issue is helped by sticking a velocity device in front of the instrument/drum rack.

cyberheater

Post by cyberheater » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Emissary wrote:yep, user 1 mode, it goes up in fours on the left and then the right. quite nifty.
Thanks. Works a treat but strangely. It's all done in boxes of 16 pads which is a bit odd. Pity its not more linear across the pads if you get what I mean.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:03 pm

gliiitches gliiitches gliiitches wrote:I am loving this function. I also like that using LP I can quickly arm a track, select a clip to record into, then start entering MIDI note data, and then begin looping the clip - and all without touching the laptop/mouse! :D

The only ways LP could be improved for me is to be bigger (I want a 16x16 one!) and to have velocity sensitive pads. The latter issue is helped by sticking a velocity device in front of the instrument/drum rack.
how the hell do you do all that when all those modes are on different templates?

keithtalent

Post by keithtalent » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:05 pm

Emissary wrote:yep, user 1 mode, it goes up in fours on the left and then the right. quite nifty.
How are you guys finding out about this? I thought I had seen all the videos and this wasn't mentioned. Is there another source for launchpad info that I'm missing (like a forum [besides this one] or a manual), or did I just miss a video?

Thanks.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:15 pm

keithtalent wrote:
How are you guys finding out about this? I thought I had seen all the videos and this wasn't mentioned. Is there another source for launchpad info that I'm missing (like a forum [besides this one] or a manual), or did I just miss a video?

Thanks.
Well. The Novation site has a LP PDF map that shows you what's sent when you hit a pad in any given mode. Since User 1 is MIDI notes, you've got instant keyboard. :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

keithtalent

Post by keithtalent » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:48 pm

Nice. Thanks loop.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:04 am

keithtalent wrote:

Thanks.
FFS just play the damn thing and use your ears! :lol:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz