Sound Engine in LIVE 8.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
grumblenoise

Sound Engine in LIVE 8.

Post by grumblenoise » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi Folks,

I would like to ask a simple question. I did a quick search through the forums first but was unable to find the answer. Today in LIVE 8, I started to prepare a DJ set. This is the first time I've used LIVE 8 for this, prior to this, I was using LIVE 7/6/5 for a few years. I'm having real concerns with the audio quality of LIVE 8. Some tracks which I know sound good in 7, sound really bad in 8. I'm using WAVES so this is not the problem. Also, I am always keeping the BPM roughly to the original file. To me, LIVE 8 sounds glitchy and not quite right. Again, I've never come across this problem in earlier version of LIVE. And again, sorry if this has already been reported.

Thanks.

8)

UKRuss

Re: Sound Engine in LIVE 8.

Post by UKRuss » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Oh, for fucks sake. :lol:

grumblenoise

Post by grumblenoise » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:43 pm

UKRuss wrote:Oh, for fucks sake. :lol:
I'm guessing I'm not the only one then :lol:

kristian

Post by kristian » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Gab

Post by Gab » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:50 pm

grumblenoise wrote:Thanks.

8)
:lol:
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

myxomat0515

Post by myxomat0515 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:01 pm

I never actually LOL but I just LOL'ed.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:10 pm

UKRuss wrote:Oh, for fucks sake. :lol:
:lol: preempted my response

but I suspect what he is experiencing is the "transients" mode if playing files at tempos different to the originals

my recommendation: for DJing, use "repitch" mode as it is more like CDJ/Vinyl and does no timestretching so there will be no artifacts

you can also try complex/complex pro but they are constantly timestretching and thus using CPU and altering the sound

to sound like the old Live default in Beats mode you could change it to "1/16" (etc) instead of "transients"

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi grumblenoise,

It's difficult to know what you're hearing without a bit more information. You mention that the BPMs are "roughly" the same as the original file, but in terms of objective sound quality, there's a big difference between roughly and exactly. In certain warp modes, Live's playback of audio files is bit-for-bit identical to the original file when playing back at exactly the original tempo. In other warp modes, it's never identical at all.

For more information about this topic, please read the "Audio Fact Sheet" in the Ableton Reference Manual.

There are many reports of Live's audio quality sounding "not quite right," across various versions, and the Audio Fact Sheet was an attempt to explain what Live is doing to your audio in a variety of common situations. I would suggest starting with this chapter to see if what you're hearing might be explainable simply by looking at how you've prepared your files.

Best,

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:57 pm

my live sounds much more like a strong gale after i updated my rme drivers. before it was more like a rainstorm. i am not best pleased :x

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:05 pm

i am seriously curious why do people report this repeatedly!?

over and over again... is it the mediocre warping...? or the misuse of warping? or what?, or are all the reporters (seems plenty) nuts?
*** Image GAFM ***

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:13 pm

SubFunk wrote:i am seriously curious why do people report this repeatedly!?

over and over again... is it the mediocre warping...? or the misuse of warping? or what?, or are all the reporters (seems plenty) nuts?
people still laught when they see a win98 style bluescreen, feeling hip about it.

something went wrong one time, and people will repeat it for years. (not to say win98 went wrong only one time.. but you get the idea).

that's why microsoft made win7. vista got a bad rep. nothing can fix that. NOTHING. they could have made win7 a service pack for vista. and everyone would still bash vista.

ableton live has bad sound quality. and it will always have it. because people want to believe in that, not because it's true.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:00 pm

davepermen wrote:ableton live has bad sound quality. and it will always have it. because people want to believe in that, not because it's true.
well, that might be seriously the case... :|
*** Image GAFM ***

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:07 pm

it is. ableton now just has to bring out a "Pro" version, that delivers the best sound quality for studio purposes, and the "Live" version when rocking live..

it can be the same version, just a different splashscreen.

it might work, like diamond shreddies

http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:39 pm

davepermen wrote:
it might work, like diamond shreddies

Lol @ diamond shreddies - whoever thought of that marketing campaign was a genius.