korg nano questions:

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Badger GRRl

korg nano questions:

Post by Badger GRRl » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:07 pm

any opinions on the korg nano series?
anybodhave any experiences of using them with live?
is it possible to chain them together, or do you need a seperate usb slot per device?

Gab

Re: korg nano questions:

Post by Gab » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Separate USB slot per device.

The nanoKontrol is nice, given the price, especially with the script by nativeKontrol (nanoLive II) or the one made by Myralfur. Never tried to use it live, all plastic construction, but not that crappy.

The nanoKey is awful, though. Way cheaper than the nanoKontrol, barely playable, stay away from it - get an Akai LPK instead if you want a cheap keyboard with mini keys.
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

beatniks3

Post by beatniks3 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:47 am

i liked the nanokontrol too although the controls are pretty cramped, not sure if i would want something that small for live use.

to the original poster are you a UW-badger or may i ask about your name?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:04 am

The kontrol and the pad are good, the keys are utter rubish.

and also a an A+ for the myralfur script it lifts the nanokontrol to a hercules on stereoids with live.
*** Image GAFM ***

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:40 am

SubFunk wrote:The kontrol and the pad are good, the keys are utter rubish.
I agree: I have all three. "Utter rubbish" for the keys might be a little harsh, but the keys are definitely not at the same level as either kontrol or pad-- I have a hard time imagining anyone playing live with the keys, where as the kontrol or pad could easily be used live if you don't bang them around too much.

One thing: if you really yearn for those nice Akai-like tactile pads I think the nanopad will not float your boat.

The nanokey can be useful for sketching out a melody when I don't want to set up my main controller or larger keyboard. They are ok for playing pads or slow moving melodies, and you get a free M1 soft synth with the keys. It is interesting that the tiny keys are expressive at all for what they are, and they can be. But, they are not a pleasurable playing experience-- your fingertips can get under the keys like with some laptop keyboards, where it can feel like you're going to pry them off by mistake.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

aizo

Post by aizo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:55 am

nano series FTW!

The keys are cheap as hell on the nanoKey but for coffee shop composing they are nice to help with sound designing and simple bassline melody making. Also it's good when you need an extra octave with your laptop keyboard. I'd never use it for anything else though.

The nanoKontrol is really great though best 5,000 yen($50) I spent in a while!
ImageImage

sxezskoz

Post by sxezskoz » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:03 am

nanokontrol is awesome, great controller for the price. nanopad is decent, not as responsive as one would like. nanokey is crappy, only get it if you really just need a set of keys, but it really is barely much better than using a qwerty keyboard.

if i could do it again, i'd buy two nanokontrols and 1 nanopad instead of one of each.
SXEZSKOZ.com
Jumping higher and living forever since '84.
myspace + facebook + twitter