ACID - x0xb0x - midi clip recording errors...

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
stevenclements

ACID - x0xb0x - midi clip recording errors...

Post by stevenclements » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi folks.

I hope someone out there can offer up a suggestion to fix my problem.

I love working on the x0xb0x to program baseliness/synth sequences. I would like to capture the midi output unaltered into Ableton Live 8. I have tried making Ableton a slave by selecting it from the download or hitting that lovely button EXT. Now as Ableton is set to receive midi from the x0xb0x. I press the run/start button on the x0xb0x and it chugs along and Ableton records the midi.

Problem:

The timing is terrible. Quantization results in weirdness as it moves the notes inappropriately and the sound and feel is off. Selecting all the notes and dragging/moving them doesn't seem to help, at least I've not got it right yet. It feels like Ableton is starting a bit late when it's recording the midi data stream so the notes are off...

One other thing I've noticed when I shut off the x0xb0x Ableton continues to play midi notes for about another bar or a bit less... something is mucked up.

When I use the data stream to trigger a AU or VST synth or any of the hardware synths in the room...without recording it sounds great... when I hit tempo is off... no longer is the tempo of the x0xb0x.

Any helpful ideas?

stevenclements

Re: ACID - x0xb0x - midi clip recording errors...

Post by stevenclements » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Well the outpouring of responses makes me wonder if this is feasible.

As an alternative I set the x0xb0x go receive midi clock from Ableton as the master and was able to achieve midi recording of the data stream from the x0xb0x and with a 13ms track compensation I was able to make it pretty tight.

I hope to address my previous attempt at making Ableton sync tightly to hardware at another point in time.

Cheers
Steve