PLEASE....a CLOCK!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
designx

Re: PLEASE....a CLOCK!

Post by designx » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:49 pm

+1

I wondered why every midi part in the arrangement had a start time begining at bar one even if your midi part started at say bar 64 when you edited it.This is fine for the session view but not for the arrangement view.
I asked Ableton about it when I was using Live 7 but at the time it was something they felt was not an important issue otherwise they would have implemented it in the Live 8 version.

One has no idea which point in time your edited midi part is situated in the arrangement so it is the most basic of requests to be delt with.

Although I am a composer and understand Live was made for DJ's it's an oversight for the Abes who would pull in a lot of potential users / customers with this feature that is sadly missing.

To work out the actual length of an Ableton arrangement at the moment you need to use a stop watch ! or rewire it and use the clock on another sequencer.

seachange

Post by seachange » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:33 am

PadraigO wrote:Most other DAWs seem to take the idea of a visual time clock seriously and address it with a clock/and bar counter etc. this is obviously not a priority for Ableton. A time ruler simply doesn't cut it lads. I want to be an exclusive Ableton user, but I have to use either Logic or PT for the ease re: these types of jobs (which is most of them).

You may say , "there isn't enough space in the control bar..." Why not come up with a simple clock that one can drag and drop and it can clock itself can float. If not that...place it somewhere where it would not be obtrusive.

For those of us need to sync sound to visuals too, this would be much welcomed and basically dead easy for you programers to write.

Thank You.

+1

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:15 pm

+1:00:00

stevenclements

Post by stevenclements » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:59 pm

designx wrote:+1

I wondered why every midi part in the arrangement had a start time begining at bar one even if your midi part started at say bar 64 when you edited it.This is fine for the session view but not for the arrangement view.
I asked Ableton about it when I was using Live 7 but at the time it was something they felt was not an important issue otherwise they would have implemented it in the Live 8 version.

One has no idea which point in time your edited midi part is situated in the arrangement so it is the most basic of requests to be delt with.

Although I am a composer and understand Live was made for DJ's it's an oversight for the Abes who would pull in a lot of potential users / customers with this feature that is sadly missing.

To work out the actual length of an Ableton arrangement at the moment you need to use a stop watch ! or rewire it and use the clock on another sequencer.
+1 as well

fsk

Post by fsk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:37 am

I hate to be a pain and +1 this again...

I am a sound designer and foley editor, I would love to use Ableton for my film and tv projects. Due to having ProTools freak out after upgrading my operating system and thus not starting up I had to use Ableton as it was the only other DAW/audiovideo editor I had and it was very shit to be honest. Most people who do not work in music, work in hh:mm:ss and sadly that is most of the film/tv industry. Having the video option in Ableton should really mean we have an SMTPE counter too.

Please fix this, I realize Ableton is for music production more than anything, but its ease of use for sketching and creating sounds make it a very ideal program for experimenting and coming up with some great unique sounds.
Sound Recordist & Designer
http://www.postboxaudio.com

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:35 am

+1 googol for HH/MM/SS/MSMS - SMTPE support.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:11 pm

fsk wrote:Having the video option in Ableton should really mean we have an SMTPE counter too.
+1 yes, whether built in or Live plug.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:36 am

maybe this vst can be useful for you : http://www.thepiz.org/dl/?p=vst

ciao

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:04 am

What about m4l? Can't you just multiply the number of bars etc. with the bpm and calculate the SMTPE-code from that?