Computer Music Mixing Special

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sunaivod

Computer Music Mixing Special

Post by sunaivod » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:27 pm

I THINK it's gonna be a very usefull reference for a lot of people (including me as I really love this mag)
Does someone already have this new issue? (don't know which date) Is it good?

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/page/com ... c/20100121

Making it loud
Dynamic mixing
Attention-grabbing effects
Sitting a vocal
Separation techniques
Processing tricks galore
Super-wide mixes
Snap compression
Parallel compression
Making space in the mix
EQing the bottom end
Transient shaping
Fat compressed beats
Boosting the energy

UKRuss

Re: Computer Music Mixing Special

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:29 pm

I bought it to flick through on the train. I'd say it's got some handy tips in it, a nice little reference to have under the ol' studio desk.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:09 pm

I rarely find CM's tutorials that helpful. It's a magazine you buy for the occasional special (if it features your DAW of choice), or to get some samples and free plugins. I find the reviews usually mediocre at best (and they rate everything 8 or 9 out of 10 anyway, regardless of how good or bad it is).

Sound On Sound does a better job in the Mix Rescue section, which actually has audio clips of the before and after each tweak if you do the eSUB. I also trust their advice more (Paul White, Hugh Robjohns and Mike Senior have serious knowledge and experience and it's not written in big SICK DUDEZ type language used in CM like we're all 15 yr old ghetto speakers.

CM's love of glossy pictures and language aimed at 14 year old noobs might appeal to some, depending on your experience.

I haven't seen this issue so can't comment on the usefulness of these tips, hopefully they will portray this stuff objectively and not done to a 'preset' type thing, which they have done sometimes in the past. For example, 'super wide mixes' is something which may be a hindrance rather than helpful. Fat compressed beats, making it loud and boosting the energy - is something with a lot of potential for destroying a good mix in careless hands. Hopefully they will make these points clear.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:31 pm

leedsquietman wrote:I rarely find CM's tutorials that helpful. It's a magazine you buy for the occasional special (if it features your DAW of choice), or to get some samples and free plugins. I find the reviews usually mediocre at best (and they rate everything 8 or 9 out of 10 anyway, regardless of how good or bad it is).

Sound On Sound does a better job in the Mix Rescue section, which actually has audio clips of the before and after each tweak if you do the eSUB. I also trust their advice more (Paul White, Hugh Robjohns and Mike Senior have serious knowledge and experience and it's not written in big SICK DUDEZ type language used in CM like we're all 15 yr old ghetto speakers.

CM's love of glossy pictures and language aimed at 14 year old noobs might appeal to some, depending on your experience.

I haven't seen this issue so can't comment on the usefulness of these tips, hopefully they will portray this stuff objectively and not done to a 'preset' type thing, which they have done sometimes in the past. For example, 'super wide mixes' is something which may be a hindrance rather than helpful. Fat compressed beats, making it loud and boosting the energy - is something with a lot of potential for destroying a good mix in careless hands. Hopefully they will make these points clear.
+1

this to me is clear marketing to sell many copies towards the 15yr old bedroom bedlam and getting good advertising deals for the publisher out of it...

i am confident to say that reading mixing with your mind, or bob katz's book will get you further.

even i have not read this issue, but used to read CM when i still lived in england... SOS as a magazine is generally way more serious (just simply not so much wrong and false information is spread), CM often reminds me on this 'mastering joke video" that is floating around here... those guys like the one dude pictured there seem to work and write for CM. same level, really.

i am actually really curios, and will try to get a copy in an international newspaper shop here...
Last edited by SubFunk on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:33 pm

It was all sensible stuff I thought, some more useful than others but nothing out right wrong I thought.

I didn't feel to dumbed down or patronised, which is usually a good sign.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:35 pm

^^^^ as i said i am curios to read it myself, but previous experiences with CM or FM has not been good at all...
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:37 pm

It's actually a lyric I have for a song about an improved producer, could even be me I suppose.

I haven't got past these first lines though:

He used to read Computer music, but now he reads Sound on Sound

etcetera etcetera...

Ooo, I like FM, it's my favourite really. Some issues better than others mind.

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:53 pm

I've got to admit I never do the tutorials. I don't think CM is only for noobs/14year old btw.
But I enjoy to read it.. Everytime I read CM I'm getting excited again to start a track..

It's often about different DAW's, but I don't mind.
maybe I should also give Sound On Sound a chance.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 pm

to each his own.
*** Image GAFM ***

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:36 pm

+1 cm is pretty weak generally..

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:18 am

It's OK for reading on the train/plane for some light relief.

Maybe I'm being a bit hard on CM - I just don't find it very motivational or inspirational typically and it is definately aimed at the lesser experienced-low intermediate level user, so (without wanting to sound like a snob or some dickhead egomaniac) I don't find much useful in it except for the occasional sample pack or the plugins such as Zebra CM - maybe occasionally an article or review.

I think that once you have a general knowledge of the digital recording process, you will find Sound On Sound more useful and educational, especially mix rescue, studio rescue and the Q&A sections. They also don't give numbers for reviews and tend to be more objective on the negative side of the review.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:07 am

Now I know I gotta becarefull before mentioning CM on this forum ;)
I've played mostly in bands half of my life + did electronic music (only for fun),
but since a couple of months it's becoming serious, sometimes
I don't understand every electronic music term (I'm fuckin metal lol),
but I feel like I'm almost ready for Sound on Sound :lol:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:19 am

Hey, if YOU enjoy it, then don't give a rat's ass about others' opinions.

We all have different tastes and just because I don't get much out of it YMMV (your mileage may vary).

No offence intended. I have about 5 copies of CM collected between 2003 and 2008. As opposed to 20+ Sound On Sound, and I have eSubbed in the past, which is good for the mix rescue because you can play the audio files and hear exactly how the different parts were affected audibly before and after the remix/processing.

Anything with computer gear, DAWS, synths, music reviews has some value.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:19 am

I agree with leeds for the most parts, the 'dangerous' part i found is that in CM and FM are at times a certain info is missing to keep it light and easy, but can easily lead in the long run to a serious 'hole' or a 'damage' in the learning process...

besides i came across some serious wrong info, especially in the tutorials in the past (to be fair it is a couple of years back that i read the last, but that is why i stopped!)
*** Image GAFM ***

omg

Post by omg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 am

i read every magazine they release since we have them at work for free.

i can recommend to read those to everyone here, CM has a wide spectrum of knowledge, good investigated and have a comfortable writing style.

on this board, so much half-ass knowledge is spread, reading such a magazine regularly would really help many of you guys.
'dangerous' part i found is that in CM and FM are at times a certain info is missing to keep it light and easy, but can easily lead in the long run to a serious 'hole' or a 'damage' in the learning process...
this is ridicules. no one will get "serious 'hole' or a 'damage'" when reading those magazines.
they give starting points to start from. from there you need a little initiative on your own to get deeper into the topic.