want to buy a pre amp

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yearlongyeti

want to buy a pre amp

Post by yearlongyeti » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi all I am looking at buying a versatile pre amp, mainly for vocal. I am looking at spending around $3000. Any recommends. Or what should I be looking for in a great pre amp. Unfortunately my local store owners arent keen in bringing in every pre amp for me to try.

fiver

Re: want to buy a pre amp

Post by fiver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Great River MP2NV

its actually 2 pre's, but why have one when you can have 2 at twice the price?

anyway, its the awesomest pre i've ever recorded with. look into it.

http://www.greatriverelectronics.com/pr ... =19&type=0

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

3000 for a preamp? mono or stereo?

most of the modern highend preamps are shit.. or lets say.. shameless overpriced..

I do rackings of vintage modules like some other guys.. if you want colour and charakter you are better of with one of theese original antiques.. because they keep theire value while any modern copy of a classical preamp design will loose value within 2 years by half.. the market is saturated with this "crap"

If you want to spend money .. a neve 1081 or 1073 comes at least with a good eq in the package and do a great job..

but.. because they are no secret tips you will have to use your budget on them..

however..as an industry highend standard they keep theire value..

and i highly recomend to stay with standards.. or go for rare vintage gems..

all the modern copys are on the longterm a waste of money..

I ve a single unit of a rare german germanium pre that sounds great... but as long i dont find someone that likes a single unit i have to wait to find find a second one of them...

such a unit racked with highend funk power supply would be maybe 900 euro in mono and 1300 in stereo

same applys to the neuman v476 pre.. actually one of the best mic pres ever build..
and especially good on neumann mics.. (what a surprise ;-)

nice are of cause the rare valvestuff ... everybody knows the v76...
some other are out there that are even better but i dont mention the names..

a stereo unit of such stuff with power supply and output attentuator.. (some like to drive them hot) is rather in the 5000 area for a refurbed stereo pair with NOS valves..

In case of vintage stuff its better to buy them original and let them service and rack by guys that know the stuff.. which are actually the guys you dont find with splashy web pages.. at least what i ve seen from the splashy webpage guys reminds often ti vandalism

problem with most of the refurbished vintage modules is that the guys that are doing the jobs are most of the time no sound engineers or knowledeged enough in vintage electronics and actually destroy the modules designed sound by using the wrong parts... or in case of valve modules destroing the optics of the circuis because they dont have acces to original parts.. they say that NOS parts can die any minute because they are old ... a valid argument.. however..theese old parts was designed to last forever..while the new parts are designed to last 3 years... and if one really like the old modules.. you allways can build a new component inside the housing of an old one just to keep the optics intact..

if you think this kind of action is not necessary? depends.. on a fairchild you bought for 8k and want to sell for 15 k it defenetly matters if the interia was vandalized or rebuild with LUV ;-)

a refurbishemnt has to rise the value of a module and not render it down.. so if its done wright it pleases the collector and the professional user.. while most of the refurbishments are done in ways where no collektor would touch the module anymore...

however.. buy a neve.. they are liked by all and because ther are no rare parts inside they usually surrive the refurbishment pretty well.. some decend clones are on the market too.. but an original is allways the better investment
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

yearlongyeti

Post by yearlongyeti » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Heaps to think about, thanks

domwave

Post by domwave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:26 pm

i bought a sound devices 302 5 years ago and i use it as a pre-amp for my lynx soundcard.
some weeks later i purchased the usbpre from the same company.

unfortunately they didn't relase a driver for win7 64,only 32 bit,my usbpre was therefore some months in my cupboard.
some weeks ago i purchased a eee pc and i now i can use the usbpre with the win starter edition.
today my casecrown bag arrived and i'm happy to solved all my needs.
i can make professional recordings mobile or at home.

it's a great setup. :mrgreen:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:35 am

API, although they are very much a character pre, so if you want tonal neutrality look at something like Great River or Avalon.

Great River pres are big favourites of engineers at Gearslutz. Cranesong's Flamingo is a great pre in the price range the OP is talking.

I disagree that expensive pres are like crap - like anything else you need to do your research and try a few but there are plenty of excellent pres which do sound a cut above.

Mercenary Audio and Vintage King Audio are retail outlets to look at for higher end mic pres/converters/hardware compressors etc

http://www.mercenary.com/micpres1.html
http://www.vintageking.com/Recording/Mic-Pre
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:46 am

Go with the Behringer MIC800.

Hell yes I'm kidding! :P
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:35 am

Focusrite ISA series.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 am

In your trials, don't forget to check the Manley Voxbox
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.5
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.25
Live 12.0.5b5 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo