Generative & Interactive Audio for Art Exposition

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubQ

Generative & Interactive Audio for Art Exposition

Post by SubQ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi guys. Long time no see.

I was recently called as audio consultant and producer for an artist debut expo; now researching for pieces containing some kind of interactivity with the audio. The artist's material is mostly iron taken from the trash, from motors to pratically everything. The guy is a farmer and recently discovered his genius, already won several prizes, etc. I'll post some pictures later.

So I'm trying basically to make the audio content react with the audience's proximity in different parts of the piece. So far I came up with some generative music clusters that will be triggered or manipulated by the expectator's distance and action, acting as a sort of theremin. This will include some kind of sensor or camera detection that should be translated in CC, Midi or OSC messages to communicate with Live.

Any input and references on this area would be mostly appreciated. Do you think this is possible to achieve only with Max4Live?

all the best,

coelho
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.