routing input from mic to live to another source

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chris_sparks

routing input from mic to live to another source

Post by chris_sparks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:06 pm

I do a lot of online singing and I'd like to take advantage of live's effects. What I specifically want to do is record into my mic with life, have the effects apply and the rerouted back into the input stream to my online flash based recording application.

Any one tried this before?

chris

ark

Re: routing input from mic to live to another source

Post by ark » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:34 pm

What do you mean by "rerouted back into the input stream?"

chris_sparks

Post by chris_sparks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:54 pm

What I am trying to do is use Live's reverb/compression effects on my voice and have that outputted to my online karaoke recorder program. I want Live to basically intercept my voice and hand it off to the other app.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:36 pm

On OSX?

Soundflower, works like a charm.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:37 pm

I use it to route Live's output into a video capture software so I don't have to sync the video with audio.. never got around to doing anything special with it. I've also done it with video chats so I could route Live's audio thru that.. Again, just messin' around though.

chris_sparks

Post by chris_sparks » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:48 pm

I am Windows XP based.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:53 pm

use ASIO4ALL, set your sound card(s) and app(s) to the same sample rate and ASIO4ALL can wire from one to the other.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sdmiddleton

Post by sdmiddleton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:02 am

outershpongolia wrote:I use it to route Live's output into a video capture software so I don't have to sync the video with audio.. never got around to doing anything special with it. I've also done it with video chats so I could route Live's audio thru that.. Again, just messin' around though.
this Soundflower programme looks pretty cool! will have to check it out also....Kind of along the same Lines as being asked here...do you know if you can use the Live effects almost Like send effects on a mixer but bypassing the complete Ableton Audio Chain which potentially will add latency to the final Audio Output signal?

i suppose one way (to answer my own quesiton) would be to get a soundcard with monitoring options so you can blend the Direct Monitoring channel with the Post Soundcard Channel, and send the mix to FOH???

And as for Chris's origianl question, i suppose other than using a programme like Soundflower, the karaoke programme would have to have rewire as a built in feature for "true" effect routing in this way to take place right?

chris_sparks

Post by chris_sparks » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm

sdmiddleton wrote:And as for Chris's origianl question, i suppose other than using a programme like Soundflower, the karaoke programme would have to have rewire as a built in feature for "true" effect routing in this way to take place right?
The flash application just connect to the mic. I guess maybe if I had a virtual mic then the flash application can listen to it and then maybe live can output to the virtual mic.