ASIO issue - no audio

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Chris Paget

ASIO issue - no audio

Post by Chris Paget » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:26 pm

I'm not sure what caused this, but the other day I got a message saying there was no audio (when using Asio). I've tried using DirectX, which has given rise a new issue- latency is fine for a while, then it gets real bad after being on a while. Pretty weird. Has this happened with anyone else?

I had been a devoted user of ASIO until this point- should I just try to reinstall?

jok

Re: ASIO issue - no audio

Post by jok » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi Chris,

please try first if reinstalling the ASIO driver fixes the issue. In case the problem persists, please post your full system specs + the version of Live you are using.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:32 pm

Did you check your master and cue outputs to the correct channels? Are the channels for input and output correct as before (highlighted/enabled) in the audio input/output configuration in preferences? I had to redo mine due to a new driver for my MOTU 828mkII as it was on 11/12 output in master/cue. Now it's back to 1/2 for both and am very happy after looking all over and finding the AVT FW drivers online for free which worked for me. I was never able to get CueMix to load (always complained) but with that driver installed it works like a charm now.

But getting back to ASIO. Is this your hardwares driver or ASIO4All driver? I am using the latter I think. I'm not on that system atm so I can't say for sure if it's that or the MOTU. I believe ASIO since it comes up in systray.

Did you change any hardware in your system (audio)? More information can help us help you ;-)

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Chris Paget

Post by Chris Paget » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks a lot for your replies. I tried re-installing ASIO, but still nothing, although DirectX is still working with the eventual latency issues.

Audio Out is going to master, and both Cue Outs are set to the 1/2 channel setting.

I'm running this on a 3-4 yr old PC using Ableton 7, but it has worked fine until recently. The only big change I can think of making is having to reinstall the Native Instruments factory package disc to get a bunch of KORE player presets back. I think that may have been when it stopped working. Any clues there?

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi,

I don't see how Kore/reinstalling NI stuff would affect your audio issue. Are you using ASIO4All or ASIO drivers for your sound card? What is the card/interface you are using? Have you tried latest/older drivers just for testing? My system is >2 yrs old and am now using a MOTU and that was a pain in the ... to finally get working (CueMix wouldn't load, nor would the SMTPE or whatever app) and found AVT FW drivers (free on web) and installed them, app allows to switch between those and MS drivers = very nice to see in app. Since I installed that and loaded last latest MOTU drivers CueMix and other console load up fine. If we had more info we may be able to point you in the direction for getting it resolved. I'm by no means an expert on it but we can try and help you out.

Mike
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Chris Paget

Post by Chris Paget » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Okay- I'll try to give a better idea of what I'm using. I have a Sigma Tel soundcard as best I can tell. After reinstalling ASIO, I'm getting levels visually but no sound. One thing I see is when I go the asio's hardware setup tab within Ableton, output for the PC speakers is disabled (literally says "disabled!"). Have checked to make sure the MS GS Wavetable Synth is enabled, but no go. At least I'm seeing the levels at this point, but that's about it.

keiyam

Post by keiyam » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:51 pm

can you try ASIO4ALL?

Chris Paget

Post by Chris Paget » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:08 pm

keiyam- ASIO4ALL is what I have installed.

keiyam

Post by keiyam » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:01 pm

is there any red X next to your output settings in the ASIO4ALL settings window ? Do you have any player open ? Like media player ?
Or any flash player in any browser ? This will block your card and it could not be used in the ableton interface..

Chris Paget

Post by Chris Paget » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:26 pm

There is a red X to the PC Speakers output in the hardware settings for Asio, so I'm 99% sure that has something to do with it.

I haven't been able to find out what's causing it though as I have all outputs enabled in Ableton, but haven't checked to see whether a player might be open in the browser. I just can't think of anytime a player's settings would have changed to stay open in the browser, as it was working fine for a long time. I'll look into it.

keiyam

Post by keiyam » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:31 pm

If you have a browser window opened with a for example youtube page, you cannot hear sound from the ableton inside with the same driver. I have been facing this issue with media player, vlc and chrome with a myspace/youtube etc. page in it.

Try closing all active windows/programs and then press the on/off button on the left of the input/output of the ASIO4ALL settings box.
Press it twice to deactivate and then reactivate the device driver. If it has a red X next to the output, it's being used.

thanks

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:40 am

I would also go into preferences and set only outputs for 1 and 2. Another thing to look at is your Master and Cue out channels. Are they showing 1/2 for default? I ran into this awhile ago with my Motu 828 MkII I bought from my buddy. But eventually I got it working again (originally I had to use 11/12 for master out for some weird reason, once I changed to a different FW driver I was able to use the newest (as of a month ago or so) from Motu and re-set my default template back to 1/2 for Master and Cue out and all has been working fine. I only output to my M-Audio BX8a monitors (from both desktops via 2 different inputs to them (1/8" to XLR and 1/4 from DAW).

Mike