Brian Eno Documentary "Another Green World" on Vimeo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: Brian Eno Documentary "Another Green World" on Vimeo

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Tarekith wrote:Love that synth, wish more developer went after different interfaces like this. So sick of the standard subtractive layout, no matter how pretty they make the knobs....
Yeah, I love it too (especially the super low cpu usage!)

I just wish the DNA parameters would be exposed for host automation. It would be nice to be able to automate those and control them by automap and Live's configuration. As fun as the randomization is, it's also very powerful in terms of sound design through the DNA parameters. You can do a lot with a few controls.

And like Eno said, having variations of the sound on different keys is just brilliant.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:53 pm

thank for the video

dum

Post by dum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:56 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Love that synth, wish more developer went after different interfaces like this. So sick of the standard subtractive layout, no matter how pretty they make the knobs....

I just wish the DNA parameters would be exposed for host automation. It would be nice to be able to automate those and control them by automap and Live's configuration. As fun as the randomization is, it's also very powerful in terms of sound design through the DNA parameters. You can do a lot with a few controls.

And like Eno said, having variations of the sound on different keys is just brilliant.
I like the synth too...but I think the DNA section blows. I find it very convoluted, purely for the sake of sticking with a 'genetic' theme ... I'll probably get used to it, but I really disagree that it is somehow more intuitive to lay out those controls like that.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:12 pm

dum wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:

I like the synth too...but I think the DNA section blows. I find it very convoluted, purely for the sake of sticking with a 'genetic' theme ... I'll probably get used to it, but I really disagree that it is somehow more intuitive to lay out those controls like that.
I know what you're saying. I don't like the genetic DNA layout either. But that's exactly why I want those parameters exposed to the host. Then they could be mapped out to Novation's automap as a hardware layout, or configured by ableton's device so as to access by instant mappings. You wouldn't even have to look at it. I suggested it to the developer, but he said the DNA controls are rather unpredictable and wouldn't be that good for automation etc. I really don't understand that since the branches are completely unpredictable and random anyways and at least the DNA parameters have functions we're used to like fm, attack, release etc. Sometimes it would be nice for performance to just be able to tweak the fm amount or release or something and not have full mutations happening.
Professional Shark Jumper.

jerry123

Post by jerry123 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Here is another great Eno flick.
Imaginary Landscapes
http://rhizome.org/editorial/3239

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:17 am

jerry123 wrote:Here is another great Eno flick.
Imaginary Landscapes
http://rhizome.org/editorial/3239
Good enthralling stuff!

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:32 am

what an inspirating man he is, I think they call him a mind-opening drug at some point in the film, I love him :)
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 am

me too
"The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface"

djdalecooper

Post by djdalecooper » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:21 pm

I'll say it again. This made my day.

Some of it was familiar territory after reading Eric Tamm's book on Eno's music. I would recommend it to anybody who's in2 Eno. I think it can be downloaded here:
http://www.erictamm.com/tammeno.html

The part where he was getting feedback, and the DX7 wouldn't work was amazing... You don't get that from listening to Music For Airports... :)