do people actually realease music using pirated software?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hermanus

Re: do people actually realease music using pirated software?

Post by Hermanus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:26 pm

if ableton don't react about this twitter bastard, I don't understand anymore :(

dum

Post by dum » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:50 pm

davepermen wrote: ah okay.. well to {A}:
he used cubase + tons of plugins (the typical illegal solution since years :) dvd's with tons of vsts.. one was vanguard (or nexus? no i guess vanguard). and it looks like the copy protection of vanguard happened to be better than he thought.. so he got a simple letter: pay that bill or we sue you, we know you have "illegal version blabla". so he had to pay the full vanguard license and such (without actually getting vanguard).

happily for him, they didn't inform the police. imagine all the other plugins and cubase.. he would have been ruined.

he sort of was the inspiration for me that i don't want to have tons of plugins to be able to produce sound. few (no vst so far, just abes plugs), but knowing how to use them is more creative than being able to "chose the appropriate sound out of the palette of star-copycat plugins". sort of.

so vanguard cost him quite much, and he thus removed everything else and now starts shopping for what he really wants, slowly bit by bit :) costs quite a bit, to get all the plugs he really liked again :)

to {b}
i'm not sure, but it might be that his account is hacked and abused. but i'm unsure :) we'll see over time.
interesting. it sounds like the devs of vanguard/nexus (whichever..) are using some kind of malware in their synth ? Dongles are considered extreme, but I'd prefer that solution to malware running in the background of the vst I paid for.
[/idle speculation]

regarding {B}, if he was hacked it seems he was hacked shortly after he made a post about one of his tutorials...
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:55 pm

i had at the start an illegal live7 version (yes.. for about a month). but the crack didn't work for long, and live reported me it's illegal. as i just started a new job, i actually had some money to spend.. so i looked around, saw the cheap live version, took that.. wasn't satisfied.. got the full version... live 8 beta came up.. and got the full suite by then. :) (and as everyone knows, since the first available beta i never had problems with it.. ^^ :P)

but actually during the time i used the illegal version, i could just as well have used the demo version. well, you can guess it. got it from a friend..
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:00 pm

I've talked to folks who have used cracked versions of 7 since it came out who had no problems what so ever. I just bought live 8 cause I assumed it would be worth it. Hope it will be once the bridge comes out and things are running smooth.

So live reported you for using illegal software? I am curious what happpened to you?
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:33 pm

That's the chance you take running cracked software - it can seem stable and problem free for a long time, years in some cases, and then some combination makes it poof/timebomb or worse, as in Dave's case.

Given that you can demo the product without restrictions, and even Ableton developers suggested that you can keep changing your email address and continue with this beyond the initial trial period, or you can buy Live Intro or the ARturia Hip Hop thing with Live Lite for not much more than the cost of a PS3/XBox360 game, there really is no excuse to run cracks of Live for extended periods anyway, except if you are a miserable CHEAPSKATE.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:36 pm

leedsquietman wrote:That's the chance you take running cracked software - it can seem stable and problem free for a long time, years in some cases, and then some combination makes it poof/timebomb or worse, as in Dave's case.

Given that you can demo the product without restrictions, and even Ableton developers suggested that you can keep changing your email address and continue with this beyond the initial trial period, or you can buy Live Intro or the ARturia Hip Hop thing with Live Lite for not much more than the cost of a PS3/XBox360 game, there really is no excuse to run cracks of Live for extended periods anyway, except if you are a miserable CHEAPSKATE.
and even if you're a miserable CHEAPSKATE, the way ableton suggests is MORE EASY than downloading new cracked versions all the time, just to have them bomb again :)

and then, buying it is even more easy by now (now that activation issues don't pop up anymore :))

it's the most expensive software-only thing that i ever bought. but actually, seeing how much my friend would have to pay for his software environment, i'm a cheapskate myself haha :) just live, nothing else.. :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Sure.

I agree that Live is an expensive software and realistically could use $100 bucks off Live and $150-200 off Live Suite at full retail prices, given the pricing of Logic and Cubase etc. They should also never have done away with discounted educational upgrades ... INTRO though is a really good product, probably satisfies the needs of the vast majority of people running a crack (most who are 'demoing' the product initially) and the Live demo being unrestricted means that for Live users at least, there are plenty of alternatives now to not using warez.

I probably sound sanctimonious but I haven't ran any cracked software since the days of the Atari ST, where Cubase actually ran BETTER under the crack because the dongle drained it so bad. I know people who even BOUGHT Cubase who ran the cracked version on Atari ST for the same reason.

On the other hand, several people I know haveused cracks and the end result is always the same - either it timebombs (sooner or later), doesn't properly work (things such as switching a sample rate made the whole thing go boom and then trashed not only Cubase but the registry and required a total reinstall of the O/S and all other programs), or things such as insert effects didn't work or whatever. And obviously, the more heavily you use it, the more likely it will mess you up. If you want to live like that, then it's up to you. But professional business aimed squarely at profit making, there should be consequences and heavy ones if you get caught running cracks. This is definately not the same as an individual 'try before buy' demoing and putting up a few tracks on Soundcloud or whatever.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:07 pm

I heard that there are people who illegally copy music and actually listen to it. There should be a law against it.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:08 pm

do people actually pay $500+ for buggy software? :mrgreen: :oops:

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:48 pm

djsynchro wrote:I heard that there are people who illegally copy music and actually listen to it. There should be a law against it.

Yeah, there actually is a law against it, except in that white-bred red light district you live in, where shooting your children in the head to help facilitate feasting on their brains is an act endorsed by the president.

By the way, how's your website doing? Lemme guess, it just works.

IP

Post by IP » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Ill never forget a mid-famous Greek artist who mention Ableton to a national TV channel ~2 years ago!
The name of the show was "Digital Greece" and he went there to sing a few songs and to show to people how easy is to record with a very simple set-up.

What he said in the air was that

Edit!
LOL youtube is the king

the lang is Greece but here is the link anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thjmG2HBf3I

he mention ableton live at 3:40 and at 5:00 he is saying that is pirated BUT in his studio he has logic and he has paid for it

domwave

Post by domwave » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:13 am

hmm,this guy explain,he's only using cracks.
he said for him it's much easier to use pirated software.
he mention live as well at the beginning of the interview.
you need to wait a little bit,youku is very slow.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTY1Mzc2MzE2.html

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:54 am

This thread is f**kin ridiculous. Do you honestly think the answer could be "no people don't release music using pirated software, that could never happen since successful people live by a strict code of ethics. That would be like a person releasing music recorded on a stolen guitar, I'm sure that's never happened even once!"

Come on now, you knew the answer before you asked.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

mihai

Post by mihai » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:This thread is f**kin ridiculous. Do you honestly think the answer could be "no people don't release music using pirated software, that could never happen since successful people live by a strict code of ethics. That would be like a person releasing music recorded on a stolen guitar, I'm sure that's never happened even once!"

Come on now, you knew the answer before you asked.
that would be applicable if the question was "do people actually release music using stolen computers?" :P