Is 8.1.3 backwards compatible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Is 8.1.3 backwards compatible?

Post by sporkles » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:28 pm

Is it? Is it?

beats me

Re: Is 8.1.3 backwards compatible?

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:35 pm

No.

Migra

Post by Migra » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Yes it is. but not forward... that means you can open projects made with previous versions on 8.1.3 BUT you cannot open projects made with 8.1.3 on future releases i.e.: 8.2 UNLESS Ableton specify that 'yes you can' on the download section....
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Migra wrote:Yes it is. but not forward... that means you can open projects made with previous versions on 8.1.3 BUT you cannot open projects made with 8.1.3 on future releases i.e.: 8.2 UNLESS Ableton specify that 'yes you can' on the download section....
I'm assuming you typo'd at the end there, otherwise this doesn't make any sense.

8.1.3 can open old Ableton projects. Older versions of Ableton will not be able to open 8.1.3 projects.

Clarity!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:48 pm

So people dont have time to read the given information, but they have time to write a thread and wait for the response :?

Migra

Post by Migra » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 pm

sparkletone wrote:
Migra wrote:Yes it is. but not forward... that means you can open projects made with previous versions on 8.1.3 BUT you cannot open projects made with 8.1.3 on future releases i.e.: 8.2 UNLESS Ableton specify that 'yes you can' on the download section....
I'm assuming you typo'd at the end there, otherwise this doesn't make any sense.

8.1.3 can open old Ableton projects. Older versions of Ableton will not be able to open 8.1.3 projects.

Clarity!
Yes you're right it's until save changes with the most recent version when you cannot go back... my bad apologies!
| MacBook Pro 13" OS X 10.7.1 C2D@2.26 4GB.RAM 500GB.HDD@5400RPM | | Reason 6.5 | Logic Studio 9.1.7 | Cubase Artist 6.5.2 | Traktor Pro 2 | Nexus2 |

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Migra wrote:
sparkletone wrote:

Clarity!
Yes you're right it's until save changes with the most recent version when you cannot go back... my bad apologies!
No worries. Just wanted to correct quickly before anyone got confused. :)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:32 pm

OK, I didn't see it there; it was hidden underneath my downloads window, and I just tabbed away from it.
Also, I confused terms a little :oops: Of course 8.1.3 is backwards compatible :) :roll:

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Migra wrote:
sparkletone wrote:

Clarity!
NOpe, you had it right the first time; You can open Live 8.1.3 projects with earlier Live versions, but anything that you save with 8.1.3 will never be able to be opened by any newer version of Live ever again....

... :wink: :P That's what they tell me anyways... I think... So you better not save your projects.
Professional Shark Jumper.

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:53 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: That's what they tell me anyways... I think... So you better not save your projects.
Backwards. :roll:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:26 am

confusing the terms? i would say that backwards compatible means that i can safe a projekt in the actual version and open it with an older one..or that i can save in a previous file format..

that i would call backward compatible... everything else wouldnt make much sense because in any case a new version of a program have to be able to open the previous projekt files..

abusing the term backward compatibility just to describe that ground standard is just a marketing hoax..

Actually i still cant understand why it is so impossible to allow live to save projekts in an older file format.
And of cause why its such a problem to get the program stable..
MAybe because coders theese days are just normal people.. teams of normal people with bugs just because the differnet handwritings involved...instead the one man show super brainiac software company of the past...

maybe ableton should fire all coders and replace them all with one expensiv guy that rewrites everything ;-))..

problem..theese one expensiv guy probably costs the month what the whole team costs in the year...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 am

3phase wrote:confusing the terms? i would say that backwards compatible means that i can safe a projekt in the actual version and open it with an older one..or that i can save in a previous file format..
You have it backwards and Wikipedia Pete agrees with me.

Backwards compatibility = new versions of software can open old data files. Live is backwards compatible. It is sometimes but not always forward compatible, and Ableton lets us know when they're breaking the file format compatibility such that old versions of the software will not be able to open files generated by newer versions.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:20 am

tss.. wickipedia is full of stupid things..

you cant call something backward compatible that cant safe in a previous fileformat..

and i never ever have heard the word forward compatible...

what shall this say? the version is able to safe in future fileformats? ..but it´s not a future fileformat when its able to safe in it..or?

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:41 am

3phase wrote:tss.. wickipedia is full of stupid things..

you cant call something backward compatible that cant safe in a previous fileformat..

and i never ever have heard the word forward compatible...

what shall this say? the version is able to safe in future fileformats? ..but it´s not a future fileformat when its able to safe in it..or?
Look, dude. I realize the internet is full of misinformation, but you can't just toss that out any time you're using a term the wrong way and someone corrects you. Do I really need to pile on the links to prove that your chosen definition is backwards compared to what the accepted definition of the term is? This isn't one of Wikipedia Pete's lies. He's telling the truth this time!

Windows is backwards compatible if it can run old applications (eg: Windows XP is backwards compatible with Windows 98 if it can run Windows 98 apps). Office 2007 is backwards compatible if the apps in it can open files saved in Office 2003 or whatever. Likewise, Live is backwards compatible if it can open files generated with old versions of the software. They haven't broken that. They break forwards compatibility from time to time, but never backwards.

It's okay. It's a confusing thing and I get it backwards sometimes too, but you don't get to decide how the term is defined. And you're welcome to keep using it the wrong way, of course, but you're just going to confuse everyone around you. :)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:01 am

office can open AND safe in older fileformats... and therefore its backwards compatible for me..just the opening older files is only the half game...

But you want to say it is backwards compatible because it can load old files and forward compatible because it can safe in old file formats?

Ist that what you suggest?

Are you sure? because that sounds slightly sick to me