Help with my Ableton Band Live setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mnmlmike

Help with my Ableton Band Live setup

Post by mnmlmike » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Hey all so I have a question about the live set up for my electronic rock band.

We have some hardware and some backing tracks/synths/samples ect inside Ableton
We play the show using the Arrange view to do all the backing tracks and what not.

What I'd also like to do is have some midi tracks in Ableton send program change to
the various hardware we have on stage (poly evolver ect) so the synths are always
on the right sounds at the right time.

Anyone know how to do this or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

re.mark

Re: Help with my Ableton Band Live setup

Post by re.mark » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Using multiple Midi clips, you can assign Program Numbers to each, Along with Midi channel etc.

I use Clips in Session view to send program change messages, no midi note data in the clips (as im playing keyboard live) but use QWERTY keyboard to trigger each clip indiviually.

outershpongolia

Re: Help with my Ableton Band Live setup

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:31 pm

re.mark wrote:Using multiple Midi clips, you can assign Program Numbers to each, Along with Midi channel etc.

I use Clips in Session view to send program change messages, no midi note data in the clips (as im playing keyboard live) but use QWERTY keyboard to trigger each clip indiviually.
I'm doing something similar.. Session view clips that change the patch on a microKORG and/or Roland SPD-s.. no notes, just the clip that sends the PC, so when I launch scenes it'll automatically switch to what I want.. Works great because we have triggers on the kick and snare of our drum kit so when I switch scenes the roland patch changes meaning different kick/snare and pads available automatically.

do what re.mark said, and route these MIDI tracks to your devices MIDI input and you should be good, you'll also want to activate "Track" (if i'm not mistaken) for that MIDI output in Live's pref.'s.