The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
baltazar

Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Post by baltazar » Thu May 13, 2010 8:09 am

Can i use Maschine as standalone & as VST in Live at once on one PC ? Off course in sync. How about controlling external hw synth with machine ? Can it be used as a polyphonic step sequencer for HW synths ?

Gluon

Post by Gluon » Thu May 13, 2010 9:06 am

No love for Maschine here

had to raise this thread:

http://co.native-instruments.com/forum/ ... p?t=110700

Machine was working fine for building patterns.But now I built a first live set to play tomorrow night - and its CPU is going wild..

I have a simple live set - With Machine loaded.... on a monster quad core desktop - 80% of CPU -

Remove Maschine... 9% of CPU

:-( killer

at 80% there is just crackles - noise etc.. horrible

Varoudis

Post by Varoudis » Thu May 13, 2010 10:28 am

Gluon wrote:No love for Maschine here

had to raise this thread:

http://co.native-instruments.com/forum/ ... p?t=110700

Machine was working fine for building patterns.But now I built a first live set to play tomorrow night - and its CPU is going wild..

I have a simple live set - With Machine loaded.... on a monster quad core desktop - 80% of CPU -

Remove Maschine... 9% of CPU

:-( killer

at 80% there is just crackles - noise etc.. horrible
can you do some test with the build-in songs? so we can also post results?
like: 10 live audio tracks (with a lame clip) with 10 build-in plugins each + 1 or 2 maschines VSTs running a build in song.

if you post a project file we might be able to help.

tasos

Gluon

Post by Gluon » Thu May 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Hey,
So its certainly Maschine....

I extracted my groups out of the single Maschine and loaded 4 Maschine VST's each with one group (track) and by enabling disabling the VSTs I get the CPU down to about 20 percent... which is enough to play live without clicks...

Will be interesting to see what NI come back with... but loading up a single instance of Machine with lots of groups/patterns swallows up lots of resources

-G-

Varoudis

Post by Varoudis » Thu May 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Gluon wrote:Hey,
So its certainly Maschine....

I extracted my groups out of the single Maschine and loaded 4 Maschine VST's each with one group (track) and by enabling disabling the VSTs I get the CPU down to about 20 percent... which is enough to play live without clicks...

Will be interesting to see what NI come back with... but loading up a single instance of Machine with lots of groups/patterns swallows up lots of resources

-G-
simple as.... maschine takes up a single cpu (1 core) and Live shows (cpu meter) the cpu (core) with the highest workload.
by having more than one maschine you get something like "load-balancing".

Tasos

filterstein

Post by filterstein » Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Someone wrote quicker than me.

I think that what you describe is correct, at least i have a similar experience.
On my quadcore i get 50% and higher cpu utilization in live and crackles.
The crackles came from the maschine output, lowering the volume on the maschine master elimimnates them.
If you look at the cpu utilization outside live it's probably much lower, say 15%.
Live uses only one cpu or core per track and some of the demo's are hungry.
Using less effects or bussing them to another instance from the external outputs should work.

Gluon

Post by Gluon » Thu May 13, 2010 4:47 pm

Doh!

Your right.... spot on... I forgot about 1 core per track...

Makes sense that I'm able to spread out many Maschine instances across the tracks and achieve much more throughput...

I was loading one uber Maschine patch with drums for songs in Ableton on a per-group basis...

Splitting up is working fine now

Thanks

-G-

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat May 15, 2010 1:20 am

Called the music store today to see ifI could play with one, and the dude says "I don't know wtf is going on, if there's some web frenzy somewhere or what, but I order in 25 of these things every week and sell them all" lol

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat May 15, 2010 2:36 am

timothyallan wrote:Called the music store today to see ifI could play with one, and the dude says "I don't know wtf is going on, if there's some web frenzy somewhere or what, but I order in 25 of these things every week and sell them all" lol
Beautiful music to my ears! :D

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat May 15, 2010 3:42 am

ze2be wrote:
timothyallan wrote:Called the music store today to see ifI could play with one, and the dude says "I don't know wtf is going on, if there's some web frenzy somewhere or what, but I order in 25 of these things every week and sell them all" lol
Beautiful music to my ears! :D
tell him SubFunk sent you...
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:35 am

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
I'm gonna see if the SF Guitar Center has it in stock today...

STRATEGY
I done did it.

Dude at GC said they're selling like hotcakes and they can barely keep them in stock (I got the last one)

STRATEGY

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun May 16, 2010 3:52 am

Welcome to the club.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun May 16, 2010 3:53 am

OK maschine friends,

I'm still struggling to build "the perfect" live setup for long live sets with maschine, ableton live and hardware or software synths.

here is "my" thread about that: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 4&start=15

I post it here because you all seem so happy with mashibleton, that I feel a bit lonely.

I love maschibleton, but some workarounds are needed to be able (ton?) to play long live shows, due to major missing features from both softwares:

1) Ableton Live doesn't handle multichannel VST Midi (all 16 maschine midi channels are merged into one in live)
2) Native Inst. : a) Maschine doesn't output CCs and PCs, and b) isn't able to save individual sounds output assignations into groups

These missing features here and there OBLIGE us to think parallel. I'm currently using IAC driver (or midiyoke for PCs), 2 instances of maschine (I hate this painful instance switching), and a heavy ableton live set to route everything here and there. (see my thread). But this setup is still painful to use (instance switching, need to load projects at least 2 or 3 times in a set even when using only 2 groups per song, and lots of other limitations...)

I'd like to get your ideas, and I'd be happy to give mine, so as to be able to integrate maschine and live into THE KILLER LIVE GIG DUO...

Please!!!!

Cheers

EDIT : @ Senator Adams => you're shooting someone already dead, that was only irony :mrgreen:
Last edited by supamonsta on Sun May 16, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sun May 16, 2010 4:02 am

supamonsta wrote:
1) Ableton Live doesn't handle multichannel VST Midi (all 16 maschine midi channels are merged into one in live)

Hmmm...haven't tried this with Maschine (no reason to in my workflow) but I'm not really understanding this; when using multi-timbral instruments like Kontakt and setting up multiple channels in live, each using an "external instrument" to grab a channel from kontakt, I'm able to send separate midi channel info (one channel per instrument in kontakt) and nothing gets 'merged into one' as you say. So why would it be any different with maschine? the External Instrument (in the Live device browser under instruments) is setup such that you have a "midi to" window, from which you select the multi-timbral VST plugin, and then beneath that it shows every available Midi channel, and you select the appropriate one for that track.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun May 16, 2010 4:09 am

mholloway wrote:Hmmm...haven't tried this with Maschine (no reason to in my workflow) but I'm not really understanding this; when using multi-timbral instruments like Kontakt and setting up multiple channels in live, each using an "external instrument" to grab a channel from kontakt, I'm able to send separate midi channel info (one channel per instrument in kontakt) and nothing gets 'merged into one' as you say. So why would it be any different with maschine? the External Instrument (in the Live device browser under instruments) is setup such that you have a "midi to" window, from which you select the multi-timbral VST plugin, and then beneath that it shows every available Midi channel, and you select the appropriate one for that track.
seems interesting, I didn't try with the external instrument device.

But reading your quote, it seems you SEND midi to multiple midi channels in kontakt, but the problem is when you want to RECEIVE multiple midi channels from the VST into live...??? external instrument is designed to be able to SEND midi and receive AUDIO on the same ableton track...

anyway, I just realise this 1) problem is the minor problem in my question, because even if live was able to receive separate midi channels from VSTs, fact is that maschine is still unable to send PCs and CCs to hardware or software synths...

The method I describe in my thread allows you to trigger ableton midi clips (including PCs and CCs) from the maschine, using maschine patterns notes to trigger ableton scenes via IAC driver, so as you seem to trigger EVERYTHING from the maschine, while the synths are sequenced by ableton mici clips... But there are still some limitations. :(

anyway, thanks for your help trial!

cheers