How To Destroy Angels

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
re.mark

How To Destroy Angels

Post by re.mark » Sat May 15, 2010 5:02 pm

So Trent Reznor's current project is with his Wife and Atticus Ross - 'How To Destroy Angels'.
6track EP due this summer, with one already out on Amazon/iTunes etc. Wasnt too keen on the first track they previewed, but specced this video today!
WOW!
As a NIN fan, Im a happy boy! its like something off The Fragile but with [sexy] female vocals on it.

http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/musicvideo/55 ... tween-null

If theres more in the vein of this, I'll be very happy :) Looking forward to hearing more....

http://www.facebook.com/howtodestroyangels

squelcht

Re: How To Destroy Angels

Post by squelcht » Sat May 15, 2010 8:50 pm

Interesting...Didn't know he was working on this project. Sounds like a latter NIN track with female vocals. The songwriting/lyrics structure even sounds like Reznor.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Sat May 15, 2010 9:37 pm

squelcht wrote:Interesting...Didn't know he was working on this project. Sounds like a latter NIN track with female vocals. The songwriting/lyrics structure even sounds like Reznor.
Definitely, you can always hear his influence in anything he produces or works on. So definable. This track really works with female vox though..

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 18, 2010 1:31 am

Nice. Trent will always get a little listen time and respect from me even if I don't really dig it at the time. There's been times when a NIN track I didn't particularly like on direct listen would sneak it's way into a random playlist I'm listening to and I almost always end up finding out what it is because I like it. Funny how expectations that are let down can later get turned into something you appreciate when you don't know who it is. Did that make sense?

I also read a little of the attempted Q&A on facebook. Interesting how Trent feels a little too much constraint with NIN emotionally right now. I'm wondering if he's referring to essentially whining about the same themes he's been doing since 89. I still like it but I can see it getting old for him after so many years.

unworthy vessel

Post by unworthy vessel » Tue May 18, 2010 4:36 am

re.mark wrote:So Trent Reznor's current project is with his Wife and Atticus Ross - 'How To Destroy Angels'.
When I saw this thread I thought you were referring to this -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Destroy_Angels_(EP) - or
http://thresholdhouse.greedbag.com/rele ... ixed-an-0/

I enjoy NIN/Trent Reznor, but Coil is near the top of my all time favorites. Coil did some later work with Reznor in his studio in New Orleans. I wonder if the name is a tribute of sorts...
stumbling along down the path of dark emptiness

tadpole fingers

Post by tadpole fingers » Tue May 18, 2010 5:42 am

If you like coil look up Soisong, its the new Peter *sleazy* Christopherson project.

The new NIN name probably is a coil tribute with blessings, you can see that they still are in contact on twitter.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue May 18, 2010 8:08 am

I like it. I've always liked his songwriting, and arrangements, but I mostly hate his voice. For whatever reason it grates on me, so a female vocal line over his thoughtful synth work is win/win! Good to know he didn't just TAKE the name, considering how completely underrated IMO Coil are.

creature

Post by creature » Tue May 18, 2010 9:51 am

I quite like this new song and the new song in the video. Although I rarely listen to any rock or alternative music these days I do still enjoy NIN, and this new project sounds quite nice. It will be interested to hear how the whole EP hang together.

Steve

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed May 19, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks for the heads up, really feelin this.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Wed May 19, 2010 5:40 pm

beats me wrote: Funny how expectations that are let down can later get turned into something you appreciate when you don't know who it is. Did that make sense?
It makes perfect sense, perception is everything. Expectations can make you dislike something, because it's not what you expected. And in the same way, you might like something experimental or different because it was made by some artist you already respect but you would have hated it coming from a nobody.

As for NIN I always liked it, but I wasn't ever a hardcore fan like some of my friends. Those same friends hated the latest albums NIN albums, but I liked them more because I could hear an evolution in Reznor's production. I was happy he wan't doing Downward Spiral over and over again.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed May 19, 2010 6:48 pm

MacGuffin wrote:
beats me wrote: Funny how expectations that are let down can later get turned into something you appreciate when you don't know who it is. Did that make sense?
It makes perfect sense, perception is everything. Expectations can make you dislike something, because it's not what you expected. And in the same way, you might like something experimental or different because it was made by some artist you already respect but you would have hated it coming from a nobody.

As for NIN I always liked it, but I wasn't ever a hardcore fan like some of my friends. Those same friends hated the latest albums NIN albums, but I liked them more because I could hear an evolution in Reznor's production. I was happy he wan't doing Downward Spiral over and over again.
I've said this in other NIN threads, but starting at about The Fragile I never really like NIN releases when they come out but then when a new release comes out (that I don't like) I listen to the previous release (that I didn't like) and for whatever reason I end up liking it. I'm probably just one step behind NIN's evolution at all times.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Sat May 22, 2010 11:58 am

Stems are available to download from http://remix.nin.com to play with :!: :!: :!: :!:

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon May 24, 2010 2:49 pm

re.mark wrote:Stems are available to download from http://remix.nin.com to play with :!: :!: :!: :!:
Nice! Downloaded.

Not to post a Live specific question in here, and maybe this shows how little I deal with stems and remixing, but I don't understand how if I take all these stems, toss them in Live, and it either way fucks up the tempo or won't let me type in the exact tempo of 74 on several tracks. Also the vocals are way fucked up. It let me set the tempo to 74 but they start going way out of sync after the firt couple bars. I started adjusting manually part by part but I still don't understand why I should have to do that.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Tue May 25, 2010 3:32 pm

yea the same thing happened to me. I just deleted all warp markers apart from '1' (the first) and typed in 74 for the bpm in all
it finally worked.
If you continue to struggle, give me a shout and Ill send you a zip of the .asd's