new macbook pro i7 issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HeadrickProductions

new macbook pro i7 issues

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat May 08, 2010 9:09 pm

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/04/ ... erheating/

I've been thinking about getting one until I saw this. Many folks thought this would be an issue as a result of the material apple uses to build the macbook pro's. Can anyone who has one of the i7's comment of the amount of heat they put out.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

fishmonkey

Re: new macbook pro i7 issues

Post by fishmonkey » Sat May 08, 2010 9:46 pm

apparently the MBP in that article was faulty...

j-cuc

Post by j-cuc » Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 am

i have to report that live 8 is crashing on my brand new macbook pro with i7, 8GB ram and 512GB SSD about once an hour. it's the most unstable experience i ever had with live and i am very desperate to find the fix. so far no luck.
it's kind of ironic that logic pro now is more stable than live… :(

overheating does not seam to be the issue… its just live crashing left and right everything else is smooth and the SSD performance blows me away.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue May 25, 2010 8:39 am

i've had mine for a few weeks and had no issues with it regarding heat. in fact it's ran cooler than i actually thought it would.

i've been having crashes in live and logic but this is due to my mbox2 being unsupported. take the mbox away and everything has been great
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

j-cuc

Post by j-cuc » Tue May 25, 2010 8:40 am

lunabass wrote:i've had mine for a few weeks and had no issues with it regarding heat. in fact it's ran cooler than i actually thought it would.

i've been having crashes in live and logic but this is due to my mbox2 being unsupported. take the mbox away and everything has been great
do you have an SSD as well ?

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue May 25, 2010 9:19 am

no it doesn't have an SSD
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

spektralisk

Post by spektralisk » Tue May 25, 2010 6:02 pm

I just got new macbook pro i7 and I must say that it produces quite much amount of heat. I am little disappointed about this. I cannot say its hot, I can touch it but it's very warm on the left side (near escape key). After some time heat is diffusing through the aluminum body and left side (under left hand) is warm enough to make further work annoying and uncomfortable.

Anybody experiencing this? Anybody know how to solve this problem?

I will take a look at smc fan control.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue May 25, 2010 6:04 pm

^^ that doesn't sound like an unusual amount of heat... really, start to worry when you can fry eggs with your comp.
*** Image GAFM ***

spektralisk

Post by spektralisk » Tue May 25, 2010 6:17 pm

SubFunk wrote:^^ that doesn't sound like an unusual amount of heat... really, start to worry when you can fry eggs with your comp.
Yeah, I hope it's normal behaviour ;)

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 pm

j-cuc wrote:it's kind of ironic that logic pro now is more stable than live
I fail to see the irony of that.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

j-cuc

Post by j-cuc » Tue May 25, 2010 9:19 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
j-cuc wrote:it's kind of ironic that logic pro now is more stable than live
I fail to see the irony of that.
…because logic used to be one crashing piece of ancient code. "circular structure" for those who know. and no "rebuild from history". live on the other hand used to be most stable from the start but got more and more unreliable for me over the last few versions. i have been using both since version 1 (well logic actually since version -2 aka creator). - maybe irony is not what i meant but: tragedy. :?

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 pm

i5 mbp here, and so far it hasn't got very hot. Of course, it does clearly state in the manual that it will get "very warm," and that it shouldn't be used on your lap, and interestingly, that it shouldn't be used on top of a pillow on your lap because the pillow will block ventilation.

The solution is to use a desk. I keep my "laptop" on my desk, and I use an external keyboard and mouse to make it more ergonomic and comfortable. And this isn't because of heat. It's just a more comfortable and healthy way to compute. When it comes time to preform, I'll put my laptop on a surface. An X style keyboard stand with a board on top of it.

j-cuc... that's a drag. I'm stable on Live 8.1.3 with a 2.4 gHz i5 and 4 gigs of ram. What version are you running? I know it sounds crass, but do you think perhaps that the 8 gigs of ram are part of the problem?

j-cuc

Post by j-cuc » Tue May 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote: j-cuc... that's a drag. I'm stable on Live 8.1.3 with a 2.4 gHz i5 and 4 gigs of ram. What version are you running? I know it sounds crass, but do you think perhaps that the 8 gigs of ram are part of the problem?
really ? u think 8 gigs could be of a _problem ? interesting.
i am running the latest version and the latest beta and the latest os. everything is brand new and fresh installed.
do you use video inside of live ? external monitor ?

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Tue May 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:i5 mbp here, and so far it hasn't got very hot. Of course, it does clearly state in the manual that it will get "very warm," and that it shouldn't be used on your lap, and interestingly, that it shouldn't be used on top of a pillow on your lap because the pillow will block ventilation.

The solution is to use a desk. I keep my "laptop" on my desk, and I use an external keyboard and mouse to make it more ergonomic and comfortable. And this isn't because of heat. It's just a more comfortable and healthy way to compute. When it comes time to preform, I'll put my laptop on a surface. An X style keyboard stand with a board on top of it.

j-cuc... that's a drag. I'm stable on Live 8.1.3 with a 2.4 gHz i5 and 4 gigs of ram. What version are you running? I know it sounds crass, but do you think perhaps that the 8 gigs of ram are part of the problem?

should not be used on your lap????

its because the material that they use to make the stylish looking MBP are quite conductive when it comes to HEAT.

I'd buy a white MB if it had the same specs as the MBP

Does not look as cool but then again It will not be nearly as hot
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed May 26, 2010 12:50 am

HeadrickProductions wrote:
I'd buy a white MB if it had the same specs as the MBP

Does not look as cool but then again It will not be nearly as hot
i think the heat issue is being overstated a bit though...mine isn't any hotter than any of the pc laptops i've owned. it really doesn't seem like an issue on mine.

although i use mine on a desk for audio work i've been sitting on the couch on the net with it on my lap for hours on end and it isn't uncomfortable at all
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds