Adding entire new songs to an already huge set

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
nicky_bass

Adding entire new songs to an already huge set

Post by nicky_bass » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:33 pm

I usually use 2 massive Live Sets when playing live, each about 130 tracks deep.
Each set contains 5/6 songs, running smoothly into each other, and a bucket-load of automation.

However, I would like to change the order of the set, and also add some new tunes.
Is this possible without losing all the automation already in place?
How do I create the space to add a new song, for example, in the middle of one large set?

nezzyidy

Re: Adding entire new songs to an already huge set

Post by nezzyidy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Are you working in arrangement view?
If so, click in your session where you would like to add space,
then insert silence.

Why do you need so many tracks in a live set?
Any track that you don't tweak during the performance can be bounced
down to track groups. Such as Percussion/Bass/Synth/Vocals/Kick/Snare/Hat/SFX1/SFX2.

Then you can have only nine tracks in your set and still have a lot of tweaking ability.
If you want to have two songs playing at once you could increase the track count to 18.

If you need to tweak the bass synth live it can have it's own track. Still you would be able to print many other things like the drums.

nicky_bass

Re: Adding entire new songs to an already huge set

Post by nicky_bass » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks for the fast reply, much appreciated. Yes, arrangement view, so that insert silence tip, works nicely, cheers!

Great suggestion on the groups too, can't believe I didn't think of that before, as I only use 8 outputs anyway... Duh.
Do groups use up less CPU? Any problems grouping MIDI and audio together? Presumably, all automation stays intact when bounced down like that right?