LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: LiveControl: Automap for TouchOSC (ipod/ipad)

Post by ze2be » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:00 am

db120 wrote:It's not coming up in search so I'm not sure if it's been answered... but is it possible to use an iphone and ipad at the same time? thanks
Only one device so far.

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:16 pm

ST8 wrote:
tempus3r wrote: Yep. Blank set. Drag a drum rack to midi channel. I then drag operator on to a cell in it. then start making pattern on LiveControl. Then after 30 seconds or so... poof. no ableton. Happens very reliably. Maybe it is a 10.6 thing.

Curious to know if anyone else running OSX 10.6 has had issues with the sequencer.
Can you enable debugging, start the log server then start live. Email me any error messages in the error console. Cheers
I started debugging and although I have not been able to get it to crash ableton again, it was indeed spitting out tons of errors. The problem then was the LiveControl app would quit responding so I couldn't save off the log to send it to you.

I reinstalled LiveControl a few times and so far it seems to be stable in the crashing sense. The only issue I have now is that the sequencer page loses connection randomly and tells me "please select a midi device". I confirm that the connection is still there using the clip launch screen. still working. but the sequencer page stops. Not sure about that one... but at least it's not crashing ableton anymore.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:27 am

Well, it works well for me on an ad-hoc (comp to comp) connection.

Matter of fact, it worked brilliantly. No noticeable latency at all, you just have to run the LiveControl app if you want to use the drum pads and keys. In other words, if you Enable Routing in the LiveControl app you need to have it open while using Live for TouchOSC to function at all. At least I think that's how it went?

My problem lies in having my devices remember the computer-to-computer connection I set up. I can "Create Network" on my MacBook and connect to my iPod, set up the IPS and all in LiveControl and it all works. But once I disconnect from that created network (or reboot my MacBook or iPod), it isn't remembered, meaning I would have to setup the network again and fix the settings in LiveControl again.

Has anyone had this issue? It's more of a computer related issue than a problem with TouchOSC or LiveControl, those work flawlessly on a normal Wi-Fi besides the latency of my Wi-Fi network. I'd rather not jailbreak my iPod (it's legal blah blah I know) if the ad hoc connection can save it's settings and I could just select it out of the wireless network menu and boom be on my way with my iPod and Ableotn.

EDIT: By the way: Great. Fucking. Work. This is a-makehersayohfuckyeah-mazing.

I love the interface, I love the innovation. I will be donating.

EDIT2: Jailbroke my iPod just to test it out with the MyWi trial and it is indeed the fastest over USB tethering for me. My order of speed went Slowest: The Wi-Fi hub in the house. Medium: Ad-hoc (equally as fast as by USB (I would bet it's only slower by milliseconds), but my network connections doesn't store the ad-hoc so it has to be setup everytime). Fastest: USB tethering.

The order of operations with USB tethering is a little bit long though. For me it is like this (after all of the installation):

1. Start MyWi app on my iPod Touch
2. Turn on Wi-Fi inside the MyWi app (takes about 5-10 seconds for it to finish starting the Wi-Fi). During those ten seconds I am plugging in my iPod to the computer and starting the LiveControl program on my Mac.
3. Select the tethered network on my Mac (mine is named LiveControl) from the list of AirPort networks. On my MacBook the tethered network takes forever to stop "scanning", but it appears to be connected before the computer stops scanning with the AirPort.
4. Open TouchOSC.
5. Open the LiveControl window on my Mac and "Start Router" so the pads and keys can function.
6. Keep open the LiveControl program and open Ableton. If you close LiveControl after starting the router it will obviously stop the router, not enabling the use of the pads or keys. I believe everything else will still function in TouchOSC.
7. And go!

The setup is a little long and I would prefer to not have to jailbreak my iPod to get the USB functionality. It seems like there would be an update to TouchOSC to make this possible no? Either way, this is still pretty cool and is a good way to get some clip launching capabilities and/or pads. It makes things feel natural. Without clip launching capabilities session view is hampered in ability.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:33 pm

In follow up, I want to set up using an ad hoc connection (or computer-to-computer as it is called on my Mac).

But I have a problem: Once you disconnect from a created computer-to-computer network on Mac that network is forgotten. So I would have to set up the network every time rather than just selecting it from the drop down network menu.

How has everyone else set up using ad hoc (computer-to-computer)? I know on Vista you can just save the network as you make it so you just select it later, I can't for the life of me get an answer for me on my Mac.

Annnyyyone?

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:51 pm

U don't need an adhoc connection for it to work just go through your router :)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Rave wrote:U don't need an adhoc connection for it to work just go through your router :)
Huh? You wi-fi? ISn't the whole point of his post to not have that latency and get the performance of ad-hoc without using usb?
Professional Shark Jumper.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Rave wrote:U don't need an adhoc connection for it to work just go through your router :)
I would do that but as this next post says..
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Huh? You wi-fi? ISn't the whole point of his post to not have that latency and get the performance of ad-hoc without using usb?
That is what I want to do.

I know that people have been able to get it working through ad hoc easily, I've seen them using it in a few videos. I've posted on a couple mac forums to no answer yet, just hoping someone here is using ad hoc and if their connection stays even after disconnecting, as mine doesn't.

Thanks for the replies :).

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:37 pm

You need to use bonjour names on livecontrol app config as well as touchosc setting for your computer's address.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Could you elaborate on how using bonjour names would help?

Everywhere I've looked I've come to the conclusion that it is a desired function of Mac OS X to delete the ad hoc network after disconnecting because that's what ad hoc is, a one time use network. So it's Wi-Fi router or USB via jailbreak. Unless you have some solution?

I wish there was a middle ground here so I wouldn't need to jailbreak to get great latency.

UPDATE:

I think I've ironed out the steps as much as I possibly can with the computer-to-computer connection (ad hoc).

The steps are here:

1. Create Network on my Mac. The first time I named it LiveControl, and it remembers the name I give it when I create it again. I pick 40-bit WEP password, otherwise it takes forever to connect to my iPod. With the password, it's quick.
2. Pick that network on my iPod Wi-Fi menu.
3. Open LiveControl (on the Mac) and manually set the iPod's IP, otherwise nothing will work. My Mac is using it's Bonjour name, but I have to set the IP.
4. Enable routing so I can use the pads in TouchOSC.
5. Open Live, and go.

*The latency is near perfect via ad hoc. There were some instances, although I tested the pads with heavy amounts of smashing, where it hung and all of the samples I hit got pushed through at once. A hang of about half a second at most.*

sigh.

Is there anyone I can donate my life savings to to make this work all in one easy step :).

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:40 am

Yup your Mac will remember your adhoc network name so you just hav to press enter. I have mine set up to switch to adhoc network and automatically press enter whenever I launch Live. And since I'm using bonjour names for both my iPhone and my Mac, I don't have to worry about ip addresses. It just works every time.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:21 am

I think I get what you're saying. I'll re set up LiveControl and do Bonjour names.

But did you say you had it set up to "automatically" switch? Did you do that via script? Can you share that part??

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:23 am

Taylor Barclay wrote:I think I get what you're saying. I'll re set up LiveControl and do Bonjour names.

But did you say you had it set up to "automatically" switch? Did you do that via script? Can you share that part??
I use QuicKeys. It lets you automate anything like any menu item of any application. It even has a midi translator.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:57 am

http://startly.com/products/quickeys/mac/4/

So you use that application?

It's a rather expensive app though. I'll stick to manually clicking until I upgrade my hardware set up or something better arrives.
Last edited by Taylor Barclay on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rave

Post by Rave » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:41 am

Taylor Barclay wrote:http://startly.com/products/quickeys/mac/4/

So you use that application?

I'll try out the trial. It can record all of your computer tasks into shortcuts? I think this is what I was looking for.. awesome!
Mac has it's own in built keystroke capture program. Save your money.

Taylor Barclay

Post by Taylor Barclay » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:51 am

Just updated my post to say that very thing :).