8.1.5 available for download

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
arbee

Re: 8.1.5 available for download

Post by arbee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 am

Rave wrote:If it is not broken don't fix it :)
lol yeah,

what if i want to try and download it. will i be able to try it and then if it doesn't satisfy me, return to my old 8.0.9 ??

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:31 am

just tried it on a old set and it runs at 65% CPU while on 8.1.1, it runs at 20% (macpro dual quad, osx 10.5.8).. This is where I get confused and wonder what most people do with these new releases.. with me, I stop as soon as I discover a problem with older sets but i also wonder if I should be testing these new releases with older sets made with older versions.. maybe there's compatibility issues and because I keep testing them with older sets, I don't see the full potential of lets say creating a new set from scratch.. who knows, this could be the best and most stable release yet, but like the other releases, I stop once I discover a problem with a old set .. I'll stick with 8.1.1 for now..

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 am

arbee wrote:
lol yeah,

what if i want to try and download it. will i be able to try it and then if it doesn't satisfy me, return to my old 8.0.9 ??

Yep - it doesn't overwrite the existing installs.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:31 am

nuxnamon wrote:just tried it on a old set and it runs at 65% CPU while on 8.1.1, it runs at 20% (macpro dual quad, osx 10.5.8).. This is where I get confused and wonder what most people do with these new releases.. with me, I stop as soon as I discover a problem with older sets but i also wonder if I should be testing these new releases with older sets made with older versions.. maybe there's compatibility issues and because I keep testing them with older sets, I don't see the full potential of lets say creating a new set from scratch.. who knows, this could be the best and most stable release yet, but like the other releases, I stop once I discover a problem with a old set .. I'll stick with 8.1.1 for now..
I'm still on 8.1.1. - it just works.

But I am watching for a good update. I can always go back (well, maybe not always).
Life is Good

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:07 am

Shows noticeable improvement in two things:

1) Starts up much quicker into the template set
2) CPU load down. With 8.14 I had a problem that if you looped a section in Arrangement view, CPU would jump massively every time it looped. I had to freeze every track to stop it clicking and popping when CPU hit 100%. That has gone now.
nuxnamon wrote:just tried it on a old set and it runs at 65% CPU while on 8.1.1, it runs at 20% (macpro dual quad, osx 10.5.8).. This is where I get confused and wonder what most people do with these new releases.. with me, I stop as soon as I discover a problem with older sets but i also wonder if I should be testing these new releases with older sets made with older versions.. maybe there's compatibility issues and because I keep testing them with older sets, I don't see the full potential of lets say creating a new set from scratch.. who knows, this could be the best and most stable release yet, but like the other releases, I stop once I discover a problem with a old set .. I'll stick with 8.1.1 for now..
Sets are no longer backward compatible, have you tried saving it as a new copy in the new format? Just take care to keep your old 8.11 version =) Maybe it will be happier with up to date data files.

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:56 am

arbee wrote:hello people.

i am still on 8.0.9 and never had crash. it is really stable for me... maybe a little slow though.

should i upgrade anyway ?? is it going to be "quicker" somehow ?? I feel that upgrading might affect the stability I'm having currently.

thanks for the suggesitons / advices.
stick with it, the newer versions are not faster at all, well it looks like 8.1.5 has a tiny, weeny CPU improvement, but unless more people chime in to confirm a big difference, i say it's not worth it to jeopardise the stability and various people have / had at times even severe problems with different versions,
therefor my advice would be to stick what works for you right now.

NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM doing that is just plain and utter stoopid.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:59 am

arbee wrote:
lol yeah,

yes and no, you need to copy the sets you want to try in the new version... once you saved in the newer version there is no way back, be careful

i would just create a "test folder" where you copy a few projects into and use those, so you have the originals that are saved on 8.0.9 to go back to in case the new version doesn't work for you.
*** Image GAFM ***

m:o

Post by m:o » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:09 am

have been quick-testing two projects and can't confirm any change in Cpu usage.
both projects handling ~17 tracks of MIDI/Audio. Maybe some change in Cpu usage
is remarkable with tiny projects?

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:43 am

Using that old test set from Tarekith (i think) there is a rough 5% improvement in CPU % and a small increase in reported memory going from 811 to 815. Most of that improvement comes from going from 8.11 to 8.13, 14 and 15 offer no significant improvement over 13.

It did fix the huge cpu spike for me so I'm sticking with 8.15.

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:01 am

Simbosan wrote:Using that old test set from Tarekith (i think) there is a rough 5% improvement in CPU
it's about 8-10% here and loads very fast. looks great!
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:55 am

smaucher wrote:
Simbosan wrote:Using that old test set from Tarekith (i think) there is a rough 5% improvement in CPU
it's about 8-10% here and loads very fast. looks great!
Good to see that I am not just the only one who experience this :mrgreen:

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Does Max for Live load any faster? Will M4l launch fast with SSD?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:26 pm

flowdesigner wrote:Does Max for Live load any faster? Will M4l launch fast with SSD?
If it doesn't load within 10 seconds, there's a problem somewhere.
So far I've found 2 ways to cause a slow M4L startup:

1) Having a corrupted Max preference file

2) Having large folders in Max's search path. For example the Live library and your sample collection.

There may be other reasons, but there definitely is a logical reason why it starts up slow. Its not designed to take 2 minutes to load. The splash screen should pop up, stay there a few seconds and then your devices start loading. Maybe with a blank interface, but only for a second. Then about a second after that the parameters should jump to default values.

Don't hesitate to contact Cycling about this. But I'd definitely try deleting the preferences file first. That takes care of point 2 too as you will have wiped any search path preferences.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:49 pm

Just crashed on me twice copying vst's to another track :(

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:35 pm

timothyallan wrote:Just crashed on me twice copying vst's to another track :(
what vst is that?