does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
murgatroid
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:24 am

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by murgatroid » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:37 pm

oh crap, i'm one of those idiot beginners that got sucked into buying. :oops:

dominos pizza admitted its product was atrocious. bully for the corporate devils with a modicum of social consciousness :|

xuoham
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:40 am
Location: okinawa japan / paris france
Contact:

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by xuoham » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:06 am

john gordon wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:"does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?"

Umm NOPE :roll:
thanks juan.thats all i need to know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rasputin
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:16 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA
Contact:

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by rasputin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:17 am

Geeze, popular topic.

How about this. Using latest version of 8 on Win XP Q6600 based system, it's 99.5% reliable.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:02 pm

This is just funny to me because it seems to be the same kind of mentality takes away diving boards in public pools, and creates 1000's of commercials for "If you took this drug and suffer from blah blah blah, call us and well sue their ass for you, etc..."

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would have bought Live 8 regardless of they were saying it would do before it was released. Simply because I have enjoyed their product since Live 3. I bought Live 8, I payed the fiddler, and thats THAT. I agree it would be nice if they gave us some kind condolences for the lack of Share, and other things. But I am not going to demand it, or complain about how they should, like a whiny co-dependant girlfriend.

Take some friggin responsibility, you payed to play, your not satisfied, so learn a lesson or something.

Even if I would have got to use the beta, and I found it as buggy as some, I would have bought Live 8 in hopes of them coming correct. However I missed the boat on the beta. I push live as much as anyone. Currently I am, and It rarely crashes, and runs smooth as expected. I have been using for DJing live and in my band live, buggy or not since version 8. I just deal with it. No different than a band mate dealing with the faults of his analogue gear.

Just a thought, Reaktor has been without a major update in years, lots of whining over there too. However both Reaktor and Ableton are kick ass products AS IS. As far as I'm concerned, they don't owe me anything. They provided me with a product I paid for and it surpassed expectations, and continues to do so. Just because I paid for the last version doesn't mean they owe me a new one. Sure I'd like to see Ableton press on, make improvement and blow my mind, but once again I'm not a co-dependant type thinker that believes I can't be happy unless they "make" me that way.

I see some posted the license agreement, I bet you clicked "AGREE"

Machinesworking
Posts: 11140
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:05 pm

JuanSOLO wrote: Even if I would have got to use the beta, and I found it as buggy as some, I would have bought Live 8 in hopes of them coming correct.
Basically you're saying you would have bought Live 8 regardless of whether you could use it or not. A whole new level of ass kissing has been achieved, congratulations.
...and you're trying to paint other people out as whiners.... :roll:

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:24 pm

Seems to me "using it" is a matter of perspective in this thread. Ableton crashing does not equal unusable to me. When my guitar string breaks during a live performance I dont go to the company who made the strings and claim it's worthlessness. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I NEVER remember Ableton toting Live as a crash/bug free product. That seems to stem from the unrealistic expectations of its users.

All I am saying is it's not Ableton's fault how I spend my money.

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote: Even if I would have got to use the beta, and I found it as buggy as some, I would have bought Live 8 in hopes of them coming correct.
Basically you're saying you would have bought Live 8 regardless of whether you could use it or not.

This just backs up my point about a whiny, co-dependant, argumentative, girlfriend. I didn't "basically say that," I said what I said. And I'm 100% that Ableton would not release a product that didn't work at all.

leedsquietman
Posts: 6659
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:56 am
Location: greater toronto area

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:48 am

Vista SP2 is actually not crap anymore. I can get great performance out of it (since SP1 in fact) - I have XP SP3 installed on my desktop and don't notice any major differences, in fact the native Vista drivers are better for my audio card than the XP drivers, so the lower system latency of XP is negated in my case (plus Vista Ultimate can use 3.6GB ram vs 1.7GB ram in win XP under 32 bit). It's basically windows 7 without the improved memory usage/allocation, 99.5% of the drivers are the same. (in terms of audio and midi performance)

I will agree that Vista on first release was really poor, as bad as WinME but it did get at least get better (unlike ME).
Last edited by leedsquietman on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by friend_kami » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:50 am

JuanSOLO wrote:Seems to me "using it" is a matter of perspective in this thread. Ableton crashing does not equal unusable to me. When my guitar string breaks during a live performance I dont go to the company who made the strings and claim it's worthlessness. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I NEVER remember Ableton toting Live as a crash/bug free product. That seems to stem from the unrealistic expectations of its users.

All I am saying is it's not Ableton's fault how I spend my money.
ive had live corrupt my sets for no reason at all, just one day i couldnt open them.
with your metaphor it would be as if you were to play your guitar and it would just selfcombust into flames and drop down in a pile of ashes.
unuseable crap, for no apparent reason.

would you whine to the company then?

crumhorn
Posts: 2503
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by crumhorn » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:51 am

rasputin wrote:Geeze, popular topic.

How about this. Using latest version of 8 on Win XP Q6600 based system, it's 99.5% reliable.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Apparently 97.2% of all statistics are just made up on the spot.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Machinesworking
Posts: 11140
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 am

JuanSOLO wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote: Even if I would have got to use the beta, and I found it as buggy as some, I would have bought Live 8 in hopes of them coming correct.
Basically you're saying you would have bought Live 8 regardless of whether you could use it or not.

This just backs up my point about a whiny, co-dependant, argumentative, girlfriend. I didn't "basically say that," I said what I said. And I'm 100% that Ableton would not release a product that didn't work at all.
How about this, you're a total idiot if you buy a product expecting that bugs will be fixed later. A pathetic fanboy is about the only person who would do this.
For the record I beta'd 8, thought it was too buggy on my system and did not upgrade, but I do not doubt for a second that the M4L update to 8 screwed people who were otherwise happy with 8, that was obvious from the forums. To go off whining is one way to be douche, to be an ass kissing blithering fanboy taking potshots at people who are experiencing bugs at a higher level than you is worse IMO. Grow the fuck up.

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:16 am

friend_kami wrote:
if you were to play your guitar and it would just selfcombust into flames and drop down in a pile of ashes.
unuseable crap, for no apparent reason.

would you whine to the company then?
Hell no! you know how cool that would look!!!

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:23 am

Machinesworking wrote: bugs at a higher level...
Really?


Machinesworking wrote:Grow the fuck up.
Not if there's bugs on your level I don't want to go up there at all.

JuanSOLO
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:21 am
Location: Shreveport LA, sometimes Dallas/Ft Worth TX

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:28 am

I'm just like anyone else here. I have had my share of Ableton working like shit on version 8. I have had corrupted files, I have done clean installs, I have lost work, I have restarted my computer during performances, I have participated in recent betas and sworn them off, crash crash crash BLAH BLAH BLAH. I have even gone to a complete Reaktor Set for Live gigs at times.

But no matter what, I don't think Ableton "owes us."

Ben_Binary
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Australia

Re: does ableton owe us something for a crap ver.8?

Post by Ben_Binary » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:03 am

JuanSOLO wrote:
But no matter what, I don't think Ableton "owes us."
That makes your point of view pretty clear :lol:
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

Post Reply