energy for late night music writing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
northernlight

Post by northernlight » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:24 pm

forge wrote:
I dont know where Rocky is from, but I imagine it to be somewhere like Chicago or Detroit and you have painted a nice image like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-KDhVwD0UA

from now on tarekith, you are Rocky in my mind
ROFL :lol:

Cyberdude

Re: energy for late night music writing

Post by Cyberdude » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:45 am

Surely you saw this one coming... just too easy! he he

Heisenberg says "Relax".

skipkent

throw out some junk instead of adding something new

Post by skipkent » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm 45 now and for me it's all about letting old habits die. I still drink now and then, but when I'm working on music, the beer or wine almost always ends up forgotten, which is nice.

I've also given up meat due to high cholesterol, but wouldn't recommend that for anyone who wasn't already interested in doing so. I would say cut down on the 'junk' meat. Chicken is the worst. Save your money for the good stuff! A nice steak 1 or 2x a week instead of piles of chicken and assorted forms of corporate 'mystery meat' can really help to clear the fog.

I'd also cut down on the smoking. You don't have to give it up, just be more intentional and aware about it. Maybe save the smoke for after you've wrapped up the session for the evening, or just 1 to gear up before.

I've just recently thrown out coffee as well. I thought it was going to be really hard, but I've found that it's no big deal. I'm drinking tea for now, usually herbal or green.

For exercise you could run or try a martial art. Any one will do, just 1 or 2x a week. It's sure to change your perspective on lots of things over time, and will put (safely) into some interesting situations that you might not get to experience otherwise. Good for flexing the head and spirit.
Last edited by skipkent on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
Ableton Live 8
Reaper
EMU Tracker USB
Line6 Toneport

skipkent

Post by skipkent » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm also trying to absorb, little by little, how to compose ideas in my head and/or on paper before I go to Live. How amazing it must be for a truly gifted or trained composer to have all those virtual vst's in his or her head and be able to use a simple sheet of lined paper as their sequencer, any time, any where! I had a friend who was a real muso who could do this and it was the coolest thing to see him look at a sheet of music and know that he was 'hearing' it loud and clear.

Of course you can always make up your own shorthand for musical notation, whatever works. Nowadays I find myself 'conducting' using my fingers to help visualize how to sequence the notes or beats I'm thinking of. Four fingers for 4/4, three for 3/4, whatever. Utterly stupid to someone who knows what they're doing, but it helps me for now keep track of what's happening where (roughly, at least) between the musical bar and the sequence I'm thinking of.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
Ableton Live 8
Reaper
EMU Tracker USB
Line6 Toneport

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:13 pm

beats me wrote: I generally skip breakfast and have 1 or 2 cups of coffee at work. I sometimes skip lunch. When I do eat it's usually whatever is quick and convenient..
here's your problem

-replace coffee in the morning with a fresh smootie
-eat well
-exercise

Silwolffe

Post by Silwolffe » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Wow, this thread sure is old.

How're you feeling this year, Beats Me?

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:08 pm