Seller's Remorse

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Poop_Smear

Re: Seller's Remorse

Post by Poop_Smear » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:34 pm

I invented an amazing device called a "fart harvester" back in the 90's but I came down with a bad case of the Piles had to sell the prototype and rights to get some cash for the surgery. One of those Green Energy groups ended up mass producing it and making millions on capturing a piece of the natural gas market. :?
Uncle Meat

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:54 pm

madlab wrote:jazz bass... sad.
I concur. Mine would be MPC1000 a few years back...Sold it to fund my computer based production equipment. I'm glad I did it although I learned how badass it would be to utilize the MPC with my new rig. Win-lose situation. Then I got a Maschine & was like 8) I could still use my MPC though...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 pm

I sold a little Thai boy I bought off Craigslist some months back and I'm devastated. True story, that.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

dum

Post by dum » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Polymorph, of quasimidi, how I weep for thee!

was too fragile, rare, and beyond repair should it end up damaged in some way. it was a studio only piece and I wanted something to take to raves... I didn't regret selling it until now, years later..
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:11 pm

MS20.. I was completely done with having to write down patch settings and recalling them is a bit of a workflow killer..

Bought a Voyager RME instead, which I sold a bit later to buy back a MS20 because I missed its sound, quirks, instability and what not..

Then took the soldering iron and modded the MS20 to extend it with oscillator sync, FM (both on oscillator and filter) and pulsewidth modulation so now also have some Voyager features with MS20 sound..

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Poster wrote:Then took the soldering iron and modded the MS20 to extend it with oscillator sync, FM (both on oscillator and filter) and pulsewidth modulation
for which I have complete schematics, if anyone is interested..

dum

Post by dum » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:36 pm

heh, I was just going to ask =)

Is it documented online or.. ?

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:32 pm

^ forgot I posted it a while ago on a dutch synthforum..
http://www.synthforum.nl/forums/showthread.php?t=127767
schematics, pictures and some example MP3's..

dum

Post by dum » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Bookmarked 8)

But alas...the chances of me learning dutch are about the same as my chances of acquiring an ms20

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:16 am

korg ms2000 - awesome and easly to program. just not enough voices.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:41 am

Sold a 1969 Marshall Major 200 watt tube amp and 4x12 bottom slant Marshall cabinet for $600.
Put it in the local paper and the first buyer responded in less than ten minutes after it went up.
Needed a car to get to work in. I don't regret selling it, but I regret who I sold it to. The jerk tried talking me down in price because the tubes were old??
FYI if you don't know, this would regularly sell for about $2,500; some peoples children? :evil:

necho

Post by necho » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:01 pm

One thing I definitely DON'T regret selling is my Virus TI.
_________
sigs suck.

Heat Death

Post by Heat Death » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:57 am

I still think l needed the money, but l still actually regret no longer having my Ensoniq ASR-X sampling sequencer.

You could actually make complete songs on it (and l did). It was fed by 3.5" floppy disks which took ages to write to. It had an SCSI port though. It had drum-style pads on it too.

But the main thing is the effects. It had the DEEPEST, SMOOTHEST, RICHEST phase and flange and choruses and other FX l ever did hear. I don't know how they compare with other hardwares, because this was the only item of hardware with onboard FX that l ever bought (except maybe my Zoom Rhythmtrak, sold). But really, the effects on the Ensoniq ASR-X were just rich like honey, heavy like lead, nothing "tinny" about them. If l ever become rich and buy the latest hardware to complement my computer setup, and the modern hardware turns out to have poor FX, then l hope l'll be able to buy an Ensoniq ASR-X again! I'll hopefully have learnt something about MIDI by then too.

The effects were so good that if you fed an SH101 into the Ensoniq's FX, you could fast forward from the early 80s to the mid 80s and end up with a Juno Hoover sound just from a detuned SH101 bass, without any "tinny" qualities to the processed sound, it just sounds nice and phat (detuned SH101 bass --> Ensoniq 8-Channel Chorus --> A nice sounding hoover!). And yeah, lots of other possibilities using different SH101 sounds, and different Ensoniq FX. You will recognise some classic sounds while you experiment with this simple setup, reproducing the classic sounds with just an ancient SH101 and semi-ancient Ensoniq ASR-X.
*** Happy using Ableton Live 8.2 for now ***

dum

Post by dum » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:10 pm

what did you need the money for, holmes ?

Heat Death

Post by Heat Death » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:10 pm

dum wrote:what did you need the money for, holmes ?
Paying off my student overdraft if l remember, also, suffered financially from a brief bout of alcoholism.
*** Happy using Ableton Live 8.2 for now ***