All times are UTC

Post subject: b11 - Track Solo Does Not Automate When Recorded
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm 

There is still no way to automate track soloing...???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:47 pm 

Hi,

No, there is not. You can post in the forum Wishlist if you like. I'll move this thread there anyway, as the Live 8 beta bugs section is reserved for Live 8 bugs.

Regards,
Amaury

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:05 pm 

It has never been possible.
+1 for this feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:29 pm 

Yeah, it would simplify mixing. Logic has had it for ages. Wonder if Ableton's tech framework makes it difficult or what? Seems like a simple add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:31 pm 

Hi,

It's more of a specification problem: solo are generally a good tool for, well, soloing a track while you're doing a mix or whatever of the kind. Once you've automated your solos, how are you supposed to use the solo-as-diagnosis feature?

So I guess there are use cases where it still would be desirable to have something looking like solo-automation, for instance, to record a perfomance featuring soloing. But that needs to not come in the way of people using solo as solo switches while mixing/listening to their track.

Regards,
Amaury

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 pm 

I see your point. If you had an additional master solo automation button on/off, then solo could still be used for diagnosing a track in an automated mix. I believe that Logic has this feature. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:42 am 

I also would like to have the option of automating solo. Good argument for not automating it, but on the other hand, I would love to be able to solo my return tracks at certain points as part of the performance.

Post subject: Re: b11 - Track Solo Does Not Automate When Recorded
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:13 am 

I was about to create a topic for solo automation, but here it already exists :mrgreen:

+1000 for solo automation, it's a shame because it's the obvious one_ and it lacks

Come on Abes, are we forced to wait after Live 9 for this?

___°___

PANDARIUM free compilation-CLICK for download

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:53 pm 

GROUP SOLO RECORD!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:14 pm 

Amaury wrote:
Hi,

It's more of a specification problem: solo are generally a good tool for, well, soloing a track while you're doing a mix or whatever of the kind. Once you've automated your solos, how are you supposed to use the solo-as-diagnosis feature?

So I guess there are use cases where it still would be desirable to have something looking like solo-automation, for instance, to record a perfomance featuring soloing. But that needs to not come in the way of people using solo as solo switches while mixing/listening to their track.
Amaury

at first it looks like an argument but i think it's not that important. people do tons of weird stuff during their mixing process - like equalizing. there is automation for that too, isn't it? i suppose soloing is a little bit different but not too much... now that i think about it: theres the function for exclusive soloing what could be used during the mixing of a track that has solo automation.

thing is: if you perform you definitely want to use solo buttons for breaks etc because they are straightforward (there might already exist some workaraounds that arent straightforward) and if you listen to the recorded perfomance (i actually build tracks from the session view - the jam way of live...) the break is just gone.

thats really lame. and its a pain in the ass.
+1
some people i spoke about it didnt understand it neither, and complaint about it.
so another +2

just would be great to have...

cheers
max

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:56 am 

+9... came here looking for where to find this in Live. Nowhere!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:43 pm 

I have just re-discovered that ableton does not record solo automation

After facepalming for several long minutes, I have now taken a long deep breath, logged into the ableton forums, to request that this feature (feature? lol) be implemented. Please.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:57 pm 

Amaury wrote:
Hi,

Amaury

Hi Amaury.. this is why.. a lot of users use Solo as an arrangement tool. Especially those of us who use Live as in the way it is presented as.. as a hands on, realtime, loop arrangement environment. A great way to arrange with loops is to use mute & solo automation as part of the arrangement process.

I would like to do as much initial arrangement as possible in realtime recording, with volumes, sends, mutes & solos all controlled externally and recorded - it's a dub way of realtime mixing / arranging, of which solo is a key part.

Live's is more honed to this than any of the other sequencers, so it doesn't follow that it should be one of the few (the only?) that doesn't support solo automation.

A lot of us would very much appreciate that it did.. & I imagine very few (if any) like the fact that it currently doesn't.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10594&hilit=+solo+automate
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4316&hilit=+solo+automate

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 am 

wmayhem wrote:
I see your point. If you had an additional master solo automation button on/off, then solo could still be used for diagnosing a track in an automated mix.

That seems like the solution right there...

One button for recording live solos, and another for on/off previewing that can't be recorded...

+1 for that solution :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 am 

+1