The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phil909

Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Post by phil909 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:09 pm

squelcht wrote:
yup yup wrote:i was a little intimidated by this thing when i first came across it. was just about to drop $1500 on a machinedrum. i think i might save myself $1000 and get on board with the maschine. sounds too good to be true 8O
My exact intentions...But I also used an Akai as a main machine in the past. Getting Maschine is like woking on a Akai again but on steroids. Totally changed my work flow. I use Maschine in standalone & have Live slaved to it. Better control over Maschine this way rather it running as a plugin IMOH. Do it---You will not be dissapointed. But make sure you get the FULL version & not a EDU version in case it isn't your thing. You can resale a FULL version license from Native Instruments but not a EDU. It's a gamble because you find EDU versions cheap online & some retailers doesn't require proof of being in school etc. (i.e. E-Bay) 8)

how do achieve the sync?
i prefer maschine stand alone with audio piped into live via soundflower but midi sync is so far hopeless, it doesn't even get close to being in time.

what are your midi sync settings?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 pm

I've used Maschine's own virtual output and Maschine as master while in standalone. Worked fine for me for both Live, Renoise, and Logic this way. But a lot of times I don't even sync. Just set the same tempo and drag and drop. I've found that I like working on Maschine by itself and then moving over to Logic to finish up.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:36 pm

phil909 wrote:
squelcht wrote:
yup yup wrote:i was a little intimidated by this thing when i first came across it. was just about to drop $1500 on a machinedrum. i think i might save myself $1000 and get on board with the maschine. sounds too good to be true 8O
My exact intentions...But I also used an Akai as a main machine in the past. Getting Maschine is like woking on a Akai again but on steroids. Totally changed my work flow. I use Maschine in standalone & have Live slaved to it. Better control over Maschine this way rather it running as a plugin IMOH. Do it---You will not be dissapointed. But make sure you get the FULL version & not a EDU version in case it isn't your thing. You can resale a FULL version license from Native Instruments but not a EDU. It's a gamble because you find EDU versions cheap online & some retailers doesn't require proof of being in school etc. (i.e. E-Bay) 8)

how do achieve the sync?
i prefer maschine stand alone with audio piped into live via soundflower but midi sync is so far hopeless, it doesn't even get close to being in time.

what are your midi sync settings?
I use the Maschine Virtual Input/Outputs. Machine is sending a Virtual Output to Live. Within Live I turn on the MIDI inputs from Maschine Virtual in the MIDI Port selection. In Live make sure the top left hand EXT button is on (to receive a MIDI clock) Press play on Maschine & Live should start playing---Press stop & Live will stop 8)

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:47 am

delicioso wrote:It's not fake. One of the things that Maschine does that not many people know about is that you can use it as a multi-effects step sequencer like Sugar Bytes Effectrix or Glitch:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=124999
Thanks a lot for this info. Gonna try it during holidays! :)
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

phil909

Post by phil909 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:43 pm

I use the Maschine Virtual Input/Outputs. Machine is sending a Virtual Output to Live. Within Live I turn on the MIDI inputs from Maschine Virtual in the MIDI Port selection. In Live make sure the top left hand EXT button is on (to receive a MIDI clock) Press play on Maschine & Live should start playing---Press stop & Live will stop

thanks for your reply.
i'll try again tonight, i'm pretty sure this is what i tried and it wouldn't sync.

how tight is the sync? good enough to be able to use audio loops in live that keep time with the maschine audio?

i've been able to get maschine standalone to start & stop ableton (and move the song position with the < > buttons on the maschine controller) but the sync drifts completely out of time and unstable.

i suspect my settings might be slightly wrong - is there any chance you could post up a screen grab of your audio/midi settings in ableton (and machine)?

maschine & soundflower are great together, i just want to get the midi synced!

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:09 pm

phil909 wrote:i've been able to get maschine standalone to start & stop ableton (and move the song position with the < > buttons on the maschine controller) but the sync drifts completely out of time and unstable.

i suspect my settings might be slightly wrong - is there any chance you could post up a screen grab of your audio/midi settings in ableton (and machine)?

Your issue is probably soundflower instead of midi sync. I don't use soundflower because of the slight delay it introduces.

phil909

Post by phil909 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:05 pm

delicioso wrote:
phil909 wrote:i've been able to get maschine standalone to start & stop ableton (and move the song position with the < > buttons on the maschine controller) but the sync drifts completely out of time and unstable.

Your issue is probably soundflower instead of midi sync. I don't use soundflower because of the slight delay it introduces.
it's definitely not a purely soundflower issue - although thanks for the tip about the slight delay.
i guess i can compensate for this by nudging the tracks in ableton back a bit.
the sync just doesn't get close to a steady lock, it jumps up & down by +/- 30bpm. i don't think i have my prefs set correctly.
i'll have another look at it as soon as i can - i have a heavily pregnant wife so quality maschine time is fairly limited at the moment!

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:06 am

I had issues with Soundflower personally. I use JackOS for Mac. Fucking BOSS.
http://www.jackosx.com/

If my tempo is set on Maschine to 120 my Live clock jumps around from 119.-- to 120.-- to 121.--
Its really fucked up but in all honesty it doesn't affect it in a bad manner. Fire the metronomes up on both units and they sync perfectly. Everything syncs just fine. I will take a look at my preferences later & see if I have anything setup different than what I told you already.

squeaky dan

Post by squeaky dan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:47 pm

Hey guys!

I'm considering getting a maschine but have
A question.

In terms of quality of sample sound how does maschine
Compare to a hardware sampler such as
A sp303?

My idea was to run a sampler through some old anlogue
Pedals and get a dusty portishead style sample sound.

Would machine be able to provide the sample sound I'm after?

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41 pm

squeaky dan wrote:Hey guys!

I'm considering getting a maschine but have
A question.

In terms of quality of sample sound how does maschine
Compare to a hardware sampler such as
A sp303?

My idea was to run a sampler through some old anlogue
Pedals and get a dusty portishead style sample sound.

Would machine be able to provide the sample sound I'm after?
I like the library. 700 kicks, lots of other stuff. Off course I would like even more.

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:14 pm

It's just a controller and software, it doesn't have its own audio ins or outs so the sonic quality of what you sample in and play back is determined by your audio interface.

It does have filter emulations of vintage drum machines like an SP12 to impart some 12 bit character, plus a nice selection of FXs that can be assigned per sample.
No...I am 3phase!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:51 pm

razorblade wrote:It's just a controller and software
Except that it's far more than "just a controller and software".

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:24 pm

No...its a controller and software. Seriously awesome controller and software, that'll do a million things,but essentially - that is what it is.

At least that's all that came in my box...

Did I get gypped?
No...I am 3phase!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:41 pm

razorblade wrote:No...its a controller and software. Seriously awesome controller and software, that'll do a million things,but essentially - that is what it is.

At least that's all that came in my box...

Did I get gypped?
No, I mean that calling it "just a controller and software" can be misleading because there is no other "controller and software" that even comes close to what Maschine provides.

düSlair

Post by düSlair » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:47 pm

i wonder if someone here is coming from berlin and would be intrested in meeting up to jam and exchange about maschine ?

maybe i should open up a new thread..?