if live 9 is not 64-bit...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
studiologic

Re: if live 9 is not 64-bit...

Post by studiologic » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:35 pm

dbfs wrote:
Geissler wrote:Ableton's RAM limit right now is, what, 2.5GB? Go over that and it crashes. Not acceptable - it's time to move on to 64bit.
Agree 100% - Ableton has more memory issues then ive ever seen in one program. Get to the max ram limit of the app, and it crashes without fail, everytime...

It's time to make the move to x64 and access that 192gb of ram... 2.5-3gb is just silly in this day and age when you have synths like Omnispehere, Kontakt, and Drum modules like BFD, Ocean Way.. etc... taking up gigantic ammounts of RAM per instance.

I wont be upgrading until they go x64
DITTO!!!!

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:50 pm

studiologic wrote:
dbfs wrote:
Geissler wrote:Ableton's RAM limit right now is, what, 2.5GB? Go over that and it crashes. Not acceptable - it's time to move on to 64bit.
Agree 100% - Ableton has more memory issues then ive ever seen in one program. Get to the max ram limit of the app, and it crashes without fail, everytime...

It's time to make the move to x64 and access that 192gb of ram... 2.5-3gb is just silly in this day and age when you have synths like Omnispehere, Kontakt, and Drum modules like BFD, Ocean Way.. etc... taking up gigantic ammounts of RAM per instance.

I wont be upgrading until they go x64
DITTO!!!!
+1

64 bit is the deal maker for me.

fisto

Post by fisto » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:07 pm

so why not jump over to Sonar X1, it's 64 bit (with included bit-bridge for 32-bit plugs), has a matrix-view, bezzier curves, clip-fx, comping, integrated mixing console with pro-channel, custom screensets for different tasks, custom key commands, multiple midi clips in one piano-roll possible in different colors, global midi mappings possible, etc...

a yes, erm, and did I mension the Price? :mrgreen:

I like it a lot and will make it my go-to DAW and I was a BIIIIG Live-Fan......

just sayin'

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:20 pm

fisto wrote:so why not jump over to Sonar X1, it's 64 bit (with included bit-bridge for 32-bit plugs), has a matrix-view, bezzier curves, clip-fx, comping, integrated mixing console with pro-channel, custom screensets for different tasks, custom key commands, multiple midi clips in one piano-roll possible in different colors, global midi mappings possible, etc...

a yes, erm, and did I mension the Price? :mrgreen:

I like it a lot and will make it my go-to DAW and I was a BIIIIG Live-Fan......

just sayin'

why buy Sonar X1 when i have been a ableton live user since version 4 and purchased every update/upgrade? in my opinion, i have allot vested into Live... why not a 64-bit Live?

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:29 am

There are still plenty of plugins that Sonar's bit bridge doesn't work for. Also X1 is not for everyone, I personally HATE the GUI. (but respect the power of the program).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

fisto

Post by fisto » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:52 am

@leedsquietman

what a pitty that you don't like the gui. I immediately loved X1 after trying and I can see clearly benefits from using it for music production like I saw more benefits from producing in Live than in Cubase SX3 a few years ago when I switched to Live. Now I can't stand Lives Gui anymore, after years of watching at the same window I fainally have to admit that I'm really glad to finally leave.

Just wanted to add that only because one Is able to do something quick in Live, it does not mean that there are not other other DAWs which can please your workflow. And it's also said that switching DAW is also quite good for the creativity and the workflow, where you are able to break out of your production routines.

So guys, Live is not everything. Look around. Other mothers have also pretty daughters to go nuts about :mrgreen:

ChrisIhao

Post by ChrisIhao » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:05 pm

I dont care too much about 64-bit either, but I would like it to be included to stop the constant yammering about it :D

Personally I love using Live 8 so much these days, that whatever 9 brings (as long its stable) will be just an added bonus. I think its due to having gotten plenty of good plugs to go with Live, to fill its gaps.

A MUCH faster file browsing engine would be neat, as the one right now can take ages to do certain things.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:48 pm

fisto wrote:where you are able to break out of your production routines.
Change is as good as a rest and all that. New gear and especially somethign as complex as a daw is generally a pain in the arse. Yes - inspiring for a while etc, but when you actually need to get something done with minimal distraction, I nearly allways find what I know works best as I simply have to think about it less meaning I can focus more on what Im trying to achieve.
Nothing to see here - move along!

hubiedubie

Post by hubiedubie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:39 am

I use memory intensive plugins. BFD2, Omnisphere, Trilian and Kontakt.
Since I started using these, Live has become effectively unusable for me. It constantly crashes and there have been all sorts of clicks and white noise explosions since the recent mainteanance release.

Unfotunately I've had to switch to Studio One for some of these projects.

fisto

Post by fisto » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:39 pm

hubiedubie wrote:I use memory intensive plugins. BFD2, Omnisphere, Trilian and Kontakt.
Since I started using these, Live has become effectively unusable for me. It constantly crashes and there have been all sorts of clicks and white noise explosions since the recent mainteanance release.

Unfotunately I've had to switch to Studio One for some of these projects.
you can also try jbridge which allows you to run vst-s in a dedicated process, which means you can use as much ram as you want. Or just rewire Ploque Bidule into Live and load your ram-hungry vst-s in there.

sacredgeometry

Post by sacredgeometry » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Lazos wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
Lazos wrote: I'm surprised you'd say that. You haven't noticed the number of threads debating the surround issue in Live? Right, of course all Live users only ever play in electronic dance music clubs with mono systems :x And of course surround sound only ever occurs in movie theatres. Oops my bad :roll: :wink:
Honestly, I can't think of single club or even larger venue in Seattle that has surround. Mostly all clubs are mono for a reason, if someone's on the right side of the stage in a crowded hall, all they're going to hear is a right side mix. I doubt any of that is different for a city half the size of Seattle like Portland. At the very most you might get stereo, and yes, surround is relegated to theaters.

As far as recording for film, I hear you, but in the live music realm you're pretty far off base.
I know I'm off base. I'm not a typical user. I'd love to have tun/scala file loading in the Ableton instruments for non-Western scales, but I'm sure I'm one of probably three people here that care about this sort of thing.

But, there is very little in the way of live performance software that supports multi-channel sound. Though playing in clubs that have only mono sound is part of what I do, I want to think outside the box a bit for the future, be involved in setting up my own installations and sound reinforcement for performance. I would hope that the Live user base (and thus how and where Live gets utilized) is a lot more broad than you make it out to be.
Get a multichannel soundcard ...I did just write more stuff here but thats all you need to output surround from any DAW if you want a cute little box to pan between them. Look into max4live. You could knock something if quite quickly.
Peace + Hugs

Brian

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:54 am

beats me wrote:I may be wrong here, but can't you record automation in session view if you use a VST that has MIDI learn on it that you can map to a controller?
11189 posts your funny ;)