Please - CUSTOMIZABLE Key Commands already!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
dnbhallifax

Please - CUSTOMIZABLE Key Commands already!!

Post by dnbhallifax » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm surprised this isn't a hot button issue.

The inability to specify my own key commands for Live drives me nuts! This is exactly what pushes me more and more toward working full time in Logic and ditching Live altogether. I am a pretty key command heavy user, I would imagine many on here are... yes I know Live's key commands - very well thanks, I am well aware of and use the assign function when possible, but these are all really limited. Basic functions like Horizontal zoom in and out, clip select, clip move, loop/bracket start and end points etc.

Logic and every other app have an extensive list of commands not mapped to anything by default that you can designate commands for. Considering Live costs about the same as Logic I think it's pretty fair to expect the same standard nuts and bolts abilities. I mean Live incorporated MAX/MSP, I can't imagine incorporating the ability to designate key commands would be any more complex - YES I know Live was originally built in Max, Live is not Max based At All now though - so I would imagine that that required a pretty hefty amount of coding.

I think a user defined palette of shortcuts is long overdo.

Again for those that might quickly reply without reading through what I've said carefully - I am referring to commands that either aren't available or not assignable by the user but are every day tasks we all utilize in the time view - not 'key' assign mode.

seattletruth

Re: Please - CUSTOMIZABLE Key Commands already!!

Post by seattletruth » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:17 pm

I agree with you, man. Even a freeware program like Audacity has user definable hot-keys. It's pretty basic funcitonality.

However, there is a way to accomplish this. If you buy Bome's MIDI Translator it will allow you also to convert keystrokes to hot keyss, so you can reconfigure the hotkeys that you want. You can even turn on "different preset banks" with a touch of a button, if you set it up. So you can do it, it just requires an external program running (which is a great program for midi anyway).

TaoEntropy

Post by TaoEntropy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:19 am

+1

I would like to define keys for adding frequently used instruments & plugins to my chains. Alt F could add an autofilter. Alt A could add an Alchemy plugin. etc...

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:11 pm

+1
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

sach160

Post by sach160 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:48 pm

+1, and mouse customization.

It's surprising this hasn't been implemented already - it seems quite a simple feature to add. All the other DAWs I've used have had much better keyboard customization for several versions.

jonah

Post by jonah » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:29 am

I haven't tried it yet, but on osx you can make your own custom keyboard shortcuts. This might help some people....

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Customizeable key commands have been asked for for years, let's hope we finally see it in Live 9. I'd be happy if they just had their key command for all functions, a lot of the commands don't even have default mappings.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

banned

Post by banned » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:46 pm

dnbhallifax wrote:[...] YES I know Live was originally built in Max [...]
It was not, according to Robert Henke:
Is it true that Live was originally written in Max MSP?
There was a step sequencer, which had been developed by Gerhard Behles and myself, and this step sequencer had a few features, which later found its way into Live. For instance, the fact that you can switch patterns for each track individually. And a lot of the effects in Ableton Live I prototyped in Max, like the Grain Delay, which is a classic type of Max patch. The Chorus was a Max patch as is was the Waveshaper/Saturator. The Operator synthesizer started as a Max patch, at least in parts. Live itself was written from scratch in C++. But I like the idea that it’s a Max patch, because everyone who is into Max obviously understands that this is impossible. [Laughs] It’s a nice urban myth.
[Laughs] :P

And +1 for customizable key commands.

ekg-music

Post by ekg-music » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:59 pm

+1
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!!!!

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:15 pm

ekg-music wrote:+1
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE!!!!

sasha_top

Post by sasha_top » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:15 am

Yes I agree!!! At work I use Pro Tools, it would be nice if I could use the same shortcuts for live´s editor view.

jazzpa

Post by jazzpa » Mon May 30, 2011 10:41 am

i agree, thats really an important issue. i hope they are working on that. when i got new to ableton, i just couldn't believe that i can't define my own shortcuts. in logic evr'ything is so much faster with shortcuts and in sibelius i just cant work without them. in live i got used to using my crappy laptop mousepad :( please give us shortcuts!!!

produc3rboy

Post by produc3rboy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:27 am

if this feature is available the first thing i would change is the Zoom key command. I need a single key to de/activate midi clips and notes!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:25 pm

dnbhallifax wrote:I'm surprised this isn't a hot button issue.

The inability to specify my own key commands for Live drives me nuts! This is exactly what pushes me more and more toward working full time in Logic and ditching Live altogether. I am a pretty key command heavy user, I would imagine many on here are... yes I know Live's key commands - very well thanks, I am well aware of and use the assign function when possible, but these are all really limited. Basic functions like Horizontal zoom in and out, clip select, clip move, loop/bracket start and end points etc.

Logic and every other app have an extensive list of commands not mapped to anything by default that you can designate commands for. Considering Live costs about the same as Logic I think it's pretty fair to expect the same standard nuts and bolts abilities. I mean Live incorporated MAX/MSP, I can't imagine incorporating the ability to designate key commands would be any more complex - YES I know Live was originally built in Max, Live is not Max based At All now though - so I would imagine that that required a pretty hefty amount of coding.

I think a user defined palette of shortcuts is long overdo.

Again for those that might quickly reply without reading through what I've said carefully - I am referring to commands that either aren't available or not assignable by the user but are every day tasks we all utilize in the time view - not 'key' assign mode.
I would like this as well.