storage systems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
swishniak

storage systems

Post by swishniak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:52 am

hi all

im curious as to how other are dealing with hard drives / back ups / archives.

i cant seem to keep ahead of the curve of hard drives filling up or dying on me.

with some mega projects (40 gigs!) getting pushed from drive to drive for years.

DVDRs a waste?

whats a good average life span for a drive? how many gigabytes / terrabytes is too much?

???

eddiex

Re: storage systems

Post by eddiex » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:42 am

you can never have enough gb's!!!!......i write and mix on a 500 gb hitachi 7200rpm external hard drive (which i have read you should never record/mix on your actual computer because its tough on your hard drive) .....no problems after about a year......i also have a 1TB western digital my book for back up......the hard drive on my macbook crapped out a few months back and i hadn't backed up in a little while......so i lost a bunch of music.....luckily....i lost like itunes.....it wasn't any of MY music....but yeah better safe than sorry......it is a nightmare when your computer dies......
i think a couple years is pushing it for a hard drive......that is about when i will be looking for another drive....
i would get a 1TB external hard drive...just for storage....like you don't break it out for anything but to back up....40 gigs for years, you might not ever fill that thing up....if you have the money buy 2 of them.....it seems redundant.....but like i said better safe than sorry....
another thing you might check out are flash drives....i haven't messed with one yet, but i've seen they are making them like 250gigs now....
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

Rupert Brown

Post by Rupert Brown » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:23 pm

I use a Qnap NAS drive for backup. Hard drives will fail, having lost work in the past RAID backup is the only way I can sleep at night.

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=134

Its a bit more expensive but you can just upgrade the drives if you need more space later on. Plus you can do handy stuff like login to it online if you need to get something while out and about. 4x 1TB drives with raid5 gives me 3TB of storage, this is alot more then most will need for audio / photos etc but I also backup all the video for the show on it too.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:54 pm

interesting tip on that NAS server thing.

basically i have stacks of external drives behind my desk. every now and then one starts to fail or fill up and i do a shuffle to get stuff off or on (the 40gb i mentioned is just one project).

does the NAS server show up as one drive? also wondering if i would ultimately need a windows machine to setup the server..

im getting tired of dealing with buying whatever cheesy seagate / maxtor external drives are available when i need a new one.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Internal and External HDD with both 500GB !

Fast access in PC and back-up out side just to be safe.

You must know: If you don't have it twice you don't have it...!!!
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Rupert Brown wrote:I use a Qnap NAS drive for backup. Hard drives will fail, having lost work in the past RAID backup is the only way I can sleep at night.

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=134

Its a bit more expensive but you can just upgrade the drives if you need more space later on. Plus you can do handy stuff like login to it online if you need to get something while out and about. 4x 1TB drives with raid5 gives me 3TB of storage, this is alot more then most will need for audio / photos etc but I also backup all the video for the show on it too.
i've seen the show a bunch rupert....good stuff....great tutorials....
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.