Things you wish you had known earlier...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
seventhirtyfour
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by seventhirtyfour » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 pm

What do you feel are some of the most essential production techniques for electronic dance music that would give someone new to Ableton and/or electronic dance music production a fat boost in their ability to produce quality music? Basically, some wise-words/guidance that would have been super helpful to know when you were just starting out. Thanks so much in advance.

-stf
Last edited by seventhirtyfour on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

I wish I never bothered to try to make dance music. booooooring. stick with my roots.

YMMV.


on the production end of things -
- get good monitors
- don't try to polish turds, start with good recordings, effects don't make things sound good, they just add flavor
- FFS just lay down a few minutes of loops in Arrange view and move on with writing
- take time to setup my tools, including a good drum loop library
etc.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tarekith
Posts: 17671
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by Tarekith » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 pm

1. Less is almost always more. Turn down the effects, back off the compression, use less EQ and reverb, get rid of tracks that don’t really add anything important to the song.

2. Don’t force yourself to write only in one genre (blasphemy, I know). Variety is the spice of life, so experiment with other genres/styles, it’ll only make you a better musician/producer.

3. Learn at least basic music theory. You may never, ever use it, but it’ll help you understand how we got to where we are, and might just help you out in the future.

4. Don’t force yourself to write if you’re not feeling it. Go outside, take care of your errands and BS, and come back to it when it’s fun again. Even if that means a month long hiatus (or longer).

5. Do it for the right reasons. Make music because you love the process, not the hopeful outcome. Never make music thinking you’ll make money, cause you won’t 99.999% of the time.

6. Understand it takes years and years to get that polished and professional sound. It’s not down any magic plug ins or settings. An experienced producer can make a pro-sounding tune no matter what the gear. It’s the ears, not the gears. (trademarked) The only way to get to this point is practice, plain and simple.

7. Learn to calibrate people’s comments about your tunes. There’s a fine line between solid, unbiased production advice, and personal preferences. Listen to what people say, and then judge if their comments are expressing their own personal preferences, or if it’s a genuine advice from an experience producer. Listen either way though, both kinds of advice can be helpful if taken in the right context. On that note, your friends will always tell you they like your tunes.

8. Learn to play a real instrument.

9. Interviews with other producers are the best source of production advice. Especially if they produce a completely different genre than you.

10. Slim down your studio. Kinda ties into #1 above, but the less gear you have, the easier it is to learn it, and the farther you can take it. Especially with plug ins.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
InnerPortalStudio.com - Professional Audio Mastering

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:54 pm

seventhirtyfour wrote:What do you feel are some of the most essential production techniques for electronic dance music that would give someone new to Ableton and/or electronic dance music production a fat boost in their ability to produce quality music? Basically, some wise-words/guidance that would have been super helpful to know when you were just starting out. Thanks so much in advance.

-stf

you are the guy that works for prime loops? the pfilzer of electronic music production?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

kev herb
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: BRENTWOOD, ESSEX, ENGLAND

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by kev herb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi pass everything.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:07 pm

There’s more rewards in imitating than innovating.

Spend as little time as possible on these forums in an effort to keep from getting jaded and overly critical about your own work. The general public at large is less judgmental than we are here.

3phase
Posts: 4648
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by 3phase » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:11 pm

beats me wrote:There’s more rewards in imitating than innovating.

Spend as little time as possible on these forums in an effort to keep from getting jaded and overly critical about your own work. The general public at large is less judgmental than we are here.

you wish
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

ze2be
Posts: 3480
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Europe

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by ze2be » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

seventhirtyfour wrote:What do you feel are some of the most essential production techniques for electronic dance music that would give someone new to Ableton and/or electronic dance music production a fat boost in their ability to produce quality music? Basically, some wise-words/guidance that would have been super helpful to know when you were just starting out.
Education.

seventhirtyfour
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by seventhirtyfour » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks for the replies.

mrdelurk
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:45 am
Location: Pahoa
Contact:

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by mrdelurk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:01 pm

The $$$ thingy you bought without any special expectations will most likely work great, possibly take you places beyond your wildest dreams.
The $,$$$ - $$,$$$ thing you bought with the highest expectations will most likely fall way short. Some might even work less well than the $$$ thingy.

Computers work as well as dedicated hardware - until you must toss them every 10 years due to a CPU migration or similar event. It is not because of computer "evolution"; in evolution, new capabilities work with all the old ones; the new tree branch works fine with the entire old tree.
Last edited by mrdelurk on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr.ergonomics
Posts: 915
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:12 am

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:34 pm

gear means nothing! ...apart from when you want to copy a specific thing/sound signature. the only thing that counts is just do it.

ARDJ
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:40 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by ARDJ » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:37 pm

i remember when i first learned cmd + i and then cmd + shift + delete i had the best a-ha! moment ever. Arranging ever since has been lightning quick!

purpurkatten
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by purpurkatten » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:37 pm

Tarekith wrote:1. Less is almost always more. Turn down the effects, back off the compression, use less EQ and reverb, get rid of tracks that don’t really add anything important to the song.

2. Don’t force yourself to write only in one genre (blasphemy, I know). Variety is the spice of life, so experiment with other genres/styles, it’ll only make you a better musician/producer.

3. Learn at least basic music theory. You may never, ever use it, but it’ll help you understand how we got to where we are, and might just help you out in the future.

4. Don’t force yourself to write if you’re not feeling it. Go outside, take care of your errands and BS, and come back to it when it’s fun again. Even if that means a month long hiatus (or longer).

5. Do it for the right reasons. Make music because you love the process, not the hopeful outcome. Never make music thinking you’ll make money, cause you won’t 99.999% of the time.

6. Understand it takes years and years to get that polished and professional sound. It’s not down any magic plug ins or settings. An experienced producer can make a pro-sounding tune no matter what the gear. It’s the ears, not the gears. (trademarked) The only way to get to this point is practice, plain and simple.

7. Learn to calibrate people’s comments about your tunes. There’s a fine line between solid, unbiased production advice, and personal preferences. Listen to what people say, and then judge if their comments are expressing their own personal preferences, or if it’s a genuine advice from an experience producer. Listen either way though, both kinds of advice can be helpful if taken in the right context. On that note, your friends will always tell you they like your tunes.

8. Learn to play a real instrument.

9. Interviews with other producers are the best source of production advice. Especially if they produce a completely different genre than you.

10. Slim down your studio. Kinda ties into #1 above, but the less gear you have, the easier it is to learn it, and the farther you can take it. Especially with plug ins.
Wisdom.

Bizon
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:51 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by Bizon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Music takes up a lot of time. A lot!

mrdelurk
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:45 am
Location: Pahoa
Contact:

Re: Things you wish you had known earlier...

Post by mrdelurk » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:51 pm

4. Don’t force yourself to write if you’re not feeling it. Go outside, take care of your errands and BS, and come back to it when it’s fun again. Even if that means a month long hiatus (or longer).
I agree with the rest, but I disagree with this one. While procrastination does make one feel more comfortable, charging straight at the biggest, worst hurdle, *now!* one tends to break through into territories of ample rewards.

Post Reply