Out of memory crashes whenapproaching 2GB of RAM usage

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
discopimp

Out of memory crashes whenapproaching 2GB of RAM usage

Post by discopimp » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:40 pm

i get frequent consistent and reproductible crashes when Live uses more than 1.9GB memory where Live will quit with the 'serious programm error ... out of memory' dialog' either during i work or when i try to save the file .. i do not use any audio clips in my live set, only Virtual instruments (around 10 VSTis with multiple outputs and channels totalling 32-48 tracks ... i am now avoiding those crashes by running Kore and Kontakt in standalone mode and routing the midi through IAC and summing the audio in my Metric Halo hardware (memory usage in Live is now down to 1.3 GB and i haven't had any more crashes) but i'm really puzzled why Live becomes unstable at 2GB memory usage ... i thought even 32-bit apps could use up to close to 4GB of RAM ?

PS: sent message and crash logs to support last week but haven't heard back

System: 17" Macbook Pro 2010 i7 on OSX 10.6.7 with 8Gb RAM and Mercury Extreme SSD

[nme]

Re: Out of memory crashes whenapproaching 2GB of RAM usage

Post by [nme] » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi Disco -

PM me with your case number from Ableton Support. I will have a look and give you an update on the current status.

jpodtbc

Post by jpodtbc » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:28 am

i've sent lots of crash reports and exasperated messages about ableton crashes in. i've never received a response from ableton about anything.

it's definitely left me feeling disappointed with their support department.

dday

Post by dday » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:49 pm

jpodtbc wrote:i've sent lots of crash reports and exasperated messages about ableton crashes in. i've never received a response from ableton about anything.

it's definitely left me feeling disappointed with their support department.

i love their live support but that crash reporting is just that...a report. not a solution to your unique issue. that would be impossible. i think the compile key words from certain reports and address them in a broad manner. again, i only assume this part.