Ok so sampler/simpler does not have timestretching...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Willyum

Re: Ok so sampler/simpler does not have timestretching...

Post by Willyum » Mon May 11, 2009 9:32 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:People always misinterpret this request or change the topic into one about loops in sampler (not meaning you in particular Ken), thinking that we mean using a loop in sampler the way you would in a clip. I don't see the point there, since clips do that.
I do for both, drums and chopped samples, Like in this Video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1u8mtnSTMY

I might have posted this in one of your post before (it's the quality hip hop beat made in Live, with artistic video production). This is the type of stuff I do, but once it is done you can not change the tempo without all samples being out of time. With 1 time stretch macro on a rack I could readjust all samples to the new tempo without them being off pitch from the rest of the song.
I hope this makes sense now to the people who didn't understand before.

Also Glitch, I posted A rack a couple years ago that had about 7 Impulses with fx for all of them (strictly drums and rhythmic) with a macro mapped to every sounds time stretch, to slur or tighten the drums real time. Took a hell of a long time but it does give a really nice sound to have that variation.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon May 11, 2009 9:36 pm

kenporter wrote: I don't work for Ableton. :)

Ken
Oh, I just saw the 'From Ableton HQ' and missed the '5000 miles from' part. Sorry.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Willyum wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:People always misinterpret this request or change the topic into one about loops in sampler (not meaning you in particular Ken), thinking that we mean using a loop in sampler the way you would in a clip. I don't see the point there, since clips do that.
I do for both, drums and chopped samples, Like in this Video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1u8mtnSTMY

I might have posted this in one of your post before (it's the quality hip hop beat made in Live, with artistic video production). This is the type of stuff I do, but once it is done you can not change the tempo without all samples being out of time. With 1 time stretch macro on a rack I could readjust all samples to the new tempo without them being off pitch from the rest of the song.
I hope this makes sense now to the people who didn't understand before.

Also Glitch, I posted A rack a couple years ago that had about 7 Impulses with fx for all of them (strictly drums and rhythmic) with a macro mapped to every sounds time stretch, to slur or tighten the drums real time. Took a hell of a long time but it does give a really nice sound to have that variation.
Oh ya, I see what you mean after watching that video. Completely different use of timestretching than I'd use it for, but cool. That's thing, there are so many damn reasons for sampler to have timestretching without pitch changing and pitch changing without speed changing.
Professional Shark Jumper.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon May 11, 2009 10:32 pm

it,s a shame that simpler or sampler cannot do timestreching like VST alchemy . I love that thing.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue May 12, 2009 12:32 am

You can do loop point manipulation in Simpler via midi clip envelopes or in Sampler via an LFO or midi clip envelopes...

It's a little bit of a setup, but very abuse-able once you get the hang of it.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue May 12, 2009 1:42 am

The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue May 12, 2009 3:13 am

c'mon you wussies don't be crybabies just whip something up in max4Live :lol: what made you guys think Live was made for sampling

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 am

You can definitely simulate time stretching with sampler like Kodoma said. Just set a short loop at the beginning of the sample (enable loop forward and link, crossfade to smooth it out). Lfo 2: lfo destination A: loop start set to 100 percent. Use sawtooth up and the rate controls the speed. Must be set to retrigger. Actually works.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Except we shouldn't have to.

One of Live's perceived forte's is the handling of liquid audio. They do a brilliant job with that in clips, I happen to find it egregious that neither simpler nor sampler takes advantage of this. It would certainly make Simpler/Sampler, Drumracks and Live in general even more powerful.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue May 12, 2009 2:51 pm

And you lose an lfo.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 12, 2009 3:50 pm

hey hey...chill.... use the Session view as a sampler(as it is...a sampler...)
just map a range of midi keys to a clip...
(by holding lowest key and pressing the highest key in the range...in midi map mode )
....adjust warp settings to fit...done.
:mrgreen:
...or am I not getting it...

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue May 12, 2009 4:01 pm

3dot... wrote:hey hey...chill.... use the Session view as a sampler(as it is...a sampler...)
just map a range of midi keys to a clip...
(by holding lowest key and pressing the highest key in the range...in midi map mode )
....adjust warp settings to fit...done.
:mrgreen:
...or am I not getting it...
So you sacrifice your keyboard to one track, lose the midi editor and all that's good about midi clips for that track, lose the sampler functionality inlcuding envelopes, lfo's, filter etc.

Man! It's a cool trick for realtime messing about, but as a workaround for timestretching in sampler that's way worse than sacrificing a single lfo.

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm

It's all true and I'm very much with you on this one. Definitely love to see some time-streching or granular thing on simpler, sampler.

It's just a workaround and you can got some very interesting results with that. Add racks and you can build a much more complex instrument.

The sampler has other shortcomings anyway like the settings work globally so if you apply timestrech, you know what I mean.

contakt321 wrote:Except we shouldn't have to.

One of Live's perceived forte's is the handling of liquid audio. They do a brilliant job with that in clips, I happen to find it egregious that neither simpler nor sampler takes advantage of this. It would certainly make Simpler/Sampler, Drumracks and Live in general even more powerful.

bikesaremagic

Post by bikesaremagic » Sun May 22, 2011 5:05 pm

pitch shifting without timestretching:

shortcircuit by Vember Audio.

pretty much the best all-around sampler, and it's free. only problem I've run into is keeping track of samples when compiling ableton projects (ableton doesn't recognize the samples used in shortcircuit and won't help bundle them up for you).

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon May 23, 2011 8:52 pm

The subject matter of this post was looong over due when this post was made (2 years ago)... Oh, and that's after Abes already told us it was on the to-do list a year or two prior to that... What the hell man, I WANT MY TIMESTRETCH!!! :?