mac osx lion and its effects on LIVE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: mac osx lion and its effects on LIVE

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Pasha wrote:
beats me wrote:Never upgrade to a new OS until at least 6 months after it's release.

But a bunch of retards will do it anyway and then we get to hear them whine about it. Looking forward. :x
100% agree here.. But... There will be new machines with no downgrade path.. What do you suggest doing in that case?

I know some people don’t have the finances for this, but I don’t believe in buying a new computer only when your existing computer is complete toast. So there should be an overlap period between using both computers and allowing for glitches to be fixed in a new OS before you completely switch over.

After yesterday’s announcement I might just jump on it the day of release BUT only install it on my media center Mini in the living room which I have Live, Logic, and Komplete installed on but rarely use on it. It will be a good testing ground and no real loss if it doesn’t work perfect at first.

The fact that it’s only $29 and a one time purchase you can download to and install on any computer using the same Apple ID is fantastic.

RyanWS

Post by RyanWS » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Ableton won't open on my MacBook Air running the Dev Preview 4 of Lion

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:44 pm

The might be down to device drivers rather than live itself and TBH thats where I expect the real problems to be rather than with Live. As you dont say what happens, then it could be anything :)

(edit - just noticed your using the latest preview - worked on an earlier on but not tried that yet)
Last edited by Khazul on Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here - move along!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:27 pm

RyanWS wrote:Ableton won't open on my MacBook Air running the Dev Preview 4 of Lion
This.

IT DOESN'T JUST WORK. :x

cids

Post by cids » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:35 pm

I will test Live on DP4 tonight...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma & macOS Sequoia

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:25 pm

RyanWS wrote:Ableton won't open on my MacBook Air running the Dev Preview 4 of Lion
Same here. Are you getting the EXC_BAD_ACCESS crash?

Glad I didn't use my main computer to test, almost threw caution to the wind, haha.
I'm sure Ableton's aware of it though, hopefully they'll have a fix soon. I really want to upgrade my main comp to Lion now after using it for a bit. :)

RyanWS

Post by RyanWS » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:43 am

The Landwhale wrote:

Glad I didn't use my main computer to test, almost threw caution to the wind, haha.
I'm sure Ableton's aware of it though, hopefully they'll have a fix soon. I really want to upgrade my main comp to Lion now after using it for a bit. :)
That's the one. Hopefully its fixed by July :/

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:18 am

RyanWS wrote:
The Landwhale wrote:

That's the one. Hopefully its fixed by July :/
Ive seen the same crash documented on another site as well.
http://roaringapps.com/app:184

My apogee duet is not working either, system wide. Haven't tried the GIO yet.
Im sure everyone's hard at work, so lets hope for a pre-Lion fix. Live 8.2.2 was apparently working a few builds ago according to the roaring apps wiki.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:23 am

hoffman2k wrote: If Resume, Auto-Save and Version work together flawlessly with Live, we would never lose our undo history. Or any work for that matter.
Probably wouldn't even need Undo history recall depending on how well and fast the Version feature works.
Wow, it could happen.

But we will need gobobytes more storage space, that reads/writes faster. Hmm, invest in fast storage....

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

same here - crashes on my MP and MBP with Lion DP4

still crashes with the latest Beta of Live & Max :?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Does it go against the NDA to post a crashlog? You can probably tell by the first few lines what happened.
And if you guys are actually developers, it should be even easier to determine the problem.
I got 5$ on Rewire :D

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:46 pm

it's not rewire ... it don't see anything obvious in crash-logs

all other music-apps i tried (Numerology, Sound Studio) are working without any problem

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:32 am

Khazul wrote: Funny enough - mentioning spotlight reminds me - please ableton - for gods sake speed up library searches for missing samples - 20 mins for live to full a drum rack vs 5 seconds for NI battery to do the same search over the same folders to locate and auto-fill for missing samples just isnt funny at all - it really isnt a useable feature if you have a half decent size sample library. Factor of 100x speedup is needed here.
I never use Live's search - always used Spotlight and just drag the folder to the "search folder" in the missing samples browser, it's much quicker

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:19 am

Hi,

We fixed the crash on Lion. We should have a new beta in the coming days with the fix. It was Cocoa related, revealed only by the latest Lion update, but not entirely Apple's fault.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

verstaerker

Post by verstaerker » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:57 am

Amaury wrote:Hi,

We fixed the crash on Lion. We should have a new beta in the coming days with the fix. It was Cocoa related, revealed only by the latest Lion update, but not entirely Apple's fault.

Regards,
Amaury
super! :D