Best sounding audio interface under $300?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DanRxDrums

Re: Best sounding audio interface under $300?

Post by DanRxDrums » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:42 pm

I've read that 4 outs is optimal? However I've also read that 2 outputs, such as a focusrite is sufficient and will get the job done. I'm looking for one for live performance and not multi channel recording.

Ideas???
http://www.soundcloud.com/BlackAndWhiteDream
Macbook Os X 10.6.5 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, Live 8 Suite, Akai APC40, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, MAudio Oxygen 8 v.2

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Tone Deft wrote: the "buy what I have" advice is weak.
Yea, I should recommended something I don't own.

:twisted:
:evil:

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:49 pm

rcpunker wrote:

lol u have a point

Idle_Matt

Post by Idle_Matt » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:52 pm

DanRxDrums wrote:I've read that 4 outs is optimal? However I've also read that 2 outputs, such as a focusrite is sufficient and will get the job done. I'm looking for one for live performance and not multi channel recording.

Ideas???
The Saffire 6 has 4 outputs. What kind of stuff are you doing live? It all depends on what you're using and what you need.
Live Suite 8 / Absynth 5 / Reason 4.0 / Pro-53 / Akai MPD24 / Oxygen 25 / SM57 (x2) / Saffire 6

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Basically Dj'ing live. Setup is laptop, apc40, iPad. Want to cue to my headphones before out to an audience. Also create some consistency with my mix at home on monitors and headphones and a pa system. Will that help being that the signal will be stronger?
Macbook Os X 10.6.5 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, Live 8 Suite, Akai APC40, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, MAudio Oxygen 8 v.2

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:04 pm

rcpunker wrote:

did you see me give him advice without suggesting he get what I own? result was a good question from him in return. your point was moot before you hit submit. stop trying to be a smart ass.

Dan - 4 outs is good because you can have a stereo out for the audience and one for you. as for inputs 4 in could be good so you can route Sends through external FX gear, if you're inclined to do so. future proofing a setup is never easy, doing it for a stranger over the interweb is harder. maybe you should draw out what you plan on doing and leave a little extra wiggle room for future additions.

edit - if you're only DJing I'd say that a compact device would be very attractive to you, moreso than extra inputs. not sure what you mean by a stronger signal.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:44 pm

Tone - this is definitely the area that I feels most overwhelmed with right now. Trying to make sure that the way I set up is efficient and correct. I know that there are multiple possibilities but I feel that my lack of knowledge in this area is very limiting. Where do I begin as far as learning about this? I know I do need an interface regardless and had heard that the saffire 6 is the way to go. However, I only have 2 usb ports, and a firewire. I can create an adhoc network for the ipad but am worried about latency. Is a usb hub a bad idea? I'm running 4GB of ram.

Thanks.

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
rcpunker wrote:

did you see me give him advice without suggesting he get what I own? result was a good question from him in return. your point was moot before you hit submit. stop trying to be a smart ass.

Dan - 4 outs is good because you can have a stereo out for the audience and one for you. as for inputs 4 in could be good so you can route Sends through external FX gear, if you're inclined to do so. future proofing a setup is never easy, doing it for a stranger over the interweb is harder. maybe you should draw out what you plan on doing and leave a little extra wiggle room for future additions.

edit - if you're only DJing I'd say that a compact device would be very attractive to you, moreso than extra inputs. not sure what you mean by a stronger signal.
smart,nice cute ass...thanks for looking.

subsynth

Post by subsynth » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:26 pm

I got a focusrite Scarlett (pictured above) in the first week of June. I've been putting it through it's paces both at home and on stage, and it suits my needs!

I use the monitor jack to send the mix from ableton and my hardware plus a click track to my drummer.

I use one Audio input for live looping of one of my keyboards.

I think I'm going to change that setup and run a mic from the kick drum into another audio input and use it for sidechaining my hardware synth bass.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:38 pm

DanRxDrums wrote:Tone - this is definitely the area that I feels most overwhelmed with right now. Trying to make sure that the way I set up is efficient and correct. I know that there are multiple possibilities but I feel that my lack of knowledge in this area is very limiting. Where do I begin as far as learning about this? I know I do need an interface regardless and had heard that the saffire 6 is the way to go. However, I only have 2 usb ports, and a firewire. I can create an adhoc network for the ipad but am worried about latency. Is a usb hub a bad idea? I'm running 4GB of ram.

Thanks.
understood. when I shopped for mine years ago I started looking at web sites and looked for trends of what each company made. it was the basic 2 in/2 out DJ boxes, then the 8 in/8 out with the Neutrix connectors, then there's the PCI solutions, etc. I'd spend an hour or so just shopping around, most companies pretty much copy each others' designs and repackage them. I can't really say what's out now 'cause I haven't been in the market for a while.

USB hubs are fine, they introduce no latency and no problems. I added one to my setup years ago, it's fully populated and I've never had problems with it, it was plug and play (Belkin 6 port IIRC). just don't rely on it to power devices via USB, anything connected to it should have its own power supply.

RAM won't directly matter for latency.

hth
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 pm

What about learning how the devices actually work so I can get the most out of it. Connecting this to that and what not.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:53 pm

no worries on that, they're all pretty standard.

firewire vs. USB, depends on how many ports of each you have

sample rates, most handle up to 192kHz, for DJing you'll be fine leaving it at 48kHz. the issue here is 'audio latency' google that term to learn more or search here. kind of a deep topic.

analog line levels are standardized, there are a few settings but those are common options in sound cards.

if you're worried, buy local from a shop with a 30 day money back guarantee. try some stuff, use your own judgment. we're glad to help but you know your studio the best.

you can also start reading peoples' signatures to see what they use. for a more DJ specific forum try wwww.abletondj.com, they'll help you as well.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

rcpunker

Post by rcpunker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you can also start reading peoples' signatures to see what they use.
So you use a Steve Martin? Is that firewire or USB?

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the help Tone.

Much appreciated.

rydn

Post by rydn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:17 pm

So is Scarlett getting the a lot of votes because of its functionality or its sound? Personally, I don't have a lot of i/o requirements. I'm mostly concerned about sound quality to help with eqing/mixing/mastering.