For production, why is Logic better than Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eddiex

Re: For production, why is Logic better than Ableton?

Post by eddiex » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:57 pm

some people think logic sounds better?...i have logic and ableton.....i use ableton for midi stuff, because it is easier to use than logic for midi stuff....but for real life instruments....i record in logic....but honestly i haven't done too much of that lately....honestly i havent opened logic in a while.
so right now, ableton is my go to.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:15 pm

eddiex wrote:some people think logic sounds better?...i have logic and ableton.....i use ableton for midi stuff, because it is easier to use than logic for midi stuff....but for real life instruments....i record in logic....but honestly i haven't done too much of that lately....honestly i havent opened logic in a while.
so right now, ableton is my go to.
Same here, worked with Logic for 10 years before I started to use Ableton.
Hardly ever use Logic nowadays...

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:00 pm

IMO Logic sounds better right out of the box. Its taken me awhile to find out how to make Ableton sound the same, particularly in the low end. Keep in mind Ableton is configured out of the box for live tweaking. And I do feel they made some strange decisions with default settings, like in Simpler for instance. Once you trick Ableton out a bit it sounds exactly the same.

Some things to do IMO - -
Raise velocity on Simplers/Samplers in drum racks from 0 to 60-70
Hi-Q mode on plugs when appropriate
turn off auto warp
turn off auto fade
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

i3igTripplets

Post by i3igTripplets » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:07 pm

nylarch wrote:Some things to do IMO - -
Raise velocity on Simplers/Samplers in drum racks from 0 to 60-70
How do you do this? Does this make it so my velocity markers actually have an effect on velocity of the sound I get? It's been bothering me for a bit - can't get those hats right otherwise. THanks!

9V

Post by 9V » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Logic and Ableton are both made in Germany

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:14 am

How do you do this?
Click on the top slot in the drum rack so you can see the simpler/sampler. Raise velocity on that one then right click and choose "copy value to siblings".

You also might want to increase the release a bit and do the same to that param. And check out the many tutorials for saving this as a default for future drum racks.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:22 am

the one thing i really like better in logic than ableton is ultrabeat- the drum sequencer in logic is radical!!!! well to be specific....its easier to sequence.....drum rack is pretty awesome as far as being able to change samples.....but the sequencing in ultrabeat in logic is pretty alright!
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:37 am

I think auomation are more beautilful in logic.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:27 am

ultrabeat
I agree UB sounds good but I really want some of what they were smoking when they designed the UI.

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:51 am

As a simple home recordist and not much of a software expert, I use Logic for all the usual instrument/guitar recording of standard rock tunes I write and when I'm into doing electronic type stuff I go with Live.

Live just seems waaaay too clunky an interface for doing a production with recorded instruments outside of maybe using an instrument to create my own 4 or 8 bar audio clip for use in an electronic composition.

Conversely, Live is much more conducive to do electronic music than Logic for me.

Serra

Post by Serra » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Both sound great, top production done in both by top producers..

I think its more of a workflow thing and getting used to the devices in each. For example, at a certain point you need to work on 'arrangement view', and being a tool built completely on 'arrangement view' you may feel more comfortable mixing big projects in Logic. Ableton in the other hand is great for tracking audio, re-sampling and experimentation, and live use of course. Many people make top notch productions on it without any problem.

http://youtu.be/BXIygTrVIHU
www.twitter.com/superstringz

Superstringz 'Revolver' on feature film, more info soon:
http://www.beatport.com/track/revolver- ... ix/2042615

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:54 pm

bunch of sheep baa logic sounds better than live baa
used to be Pro Tools that got that accolade
its just showing off to the noobs
its not clever-big fish small pond

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:17 am

Pro is using Logic to finish his recording , mixing and mastering. You knew why.

channelite

Post by channelite » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:04 am

I tried Logic, but was too impatient to learn it. Had the same experience with Cubase too. Live's the bomb. I love it.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:59 am

you just can do more things with logic. for me the midi-features are the reason not to change away from logic for composing... lives piano roll is the only midi editor. in logic there are about five other interactive acting midi editors and a bunch of 'on the fly' midi values to work with like transposing, humanizing, quantizing, setting velocity in % etc, all for clips, parts or complete songs at once... same with selecting events... from easy things like selecting offbeats or downbeats to selecting upper or lower notes in chords... a very very big time saver when composing, arranging and orchestrating. and you can set your own key commands for all this tasks. and make your own screen sets... for editing midi, audio, mixing, scoring or whatever without the need to work in little corners of the screen... import and export mp3, wav, aif in different sample rates, convert, inside a project... working to video with variable time offsets, import audio from video, multipe screen support, count in beats or smpte... phew, i don't know where to stop.

live is good to make loop based music and is brilliant for mangeling audio. lives routing is easier. there are no effect racks in logic, no drum racks and no session view.

for me live and logic sound the same, especially when using mostly third party plugins like i do.

if you never worked with all the features in logic you might not miss. i would not miss lives features in logic if i never used live. but now i do. thats the reason for me to have both.