Monitors in the $30 to $50 range....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jologahd

Monitors in the $30 to $50 range....

Post by jologahd » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Anything good out there for cheap? $30 to $50 range for the whole pair ?

matthews

Re: Monitors in the $30 to $50 range....

Post by matthews » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 pm

no.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 pm

hell no.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 pm

You're missing a couple zeros there fella!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:52 pm

you cant even buy decent headphones for that.....sorry.....maybe a set of used headphones? monitors...no way
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Spend that on just on the lynx cables lol
Alex!

ciw

Post by ciw » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Saying that, I have a mate who can put together reasonably mixed tunes on laptop inbuilt speakers. Don't underestimate the value of training your mind and your ears.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:25 am

ciw wrote:Saying that, I have a mate who can put together reasonably mixed tunes on laptop inbuilt speakers. Don't underestimate the value of training your mind and your ears.
Most of the professionally mixed music is engineered towards portable audio.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:26 am

ciw wrote:Saying that, I have a mate who can put together reasonably mixed tunes on laptop inbuilt speakers. Don't underestimate the value of training your mind and your ears.
Sebastien Leger was using computer speakers in the FM mag tutorial and he seems to be doing alright for himself.

for that money though maybe old 2nd hand hi fi speakers or you may be best just spending that money on shops own brand alcoholic beverages getting completely smashed and ending the evening with a good hard vomiting session. of course you dont have to do that its just a suggestion. :P
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 pm

i think nicolay used to mix on little desktop speakers too.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:31 am

If everything you play on your speakers sounds good than it should not be too hard to mix on them. I know a lot of people say "consumer speakers are made to make everything sound good bla bla bla" when thats not really the case. There are many consumer speakers that sound like shit and im sure if you tried to mix on them your mixes would sound like shit.
When you go and check out studio monitors you are suppose to take a cd with tracks you know well to test the speakers out.. so just do the same with consumer speakers. Its also a lot easier to mix on consumer speakers when using spectrum.

A few years ago I became convinced that I needed to upgrade my "shit" $11.00 jvc headphones for some pro headphones. I tried so many headphones during that time and not one pair were as easy to mix on as the jvc headphones.

The only problem with going this cheap route though is that you might end up going through many cheap speakers just to find one good pair when you could just buy something for a couple hundred like krk rokit 5s (this is what I use) and be done.

so basically I just wrote a whole paragraph to let you know that i have no advice.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

convex

Post by convex » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:10 am

Nathannn, my friend, you have the best gear list ever. MMX technology. Good gravy. The irony is palpable, but still a refreshing change from the dual core, quad core, ghey core pissing contests that clog every message board on the Internets.

I have some MMX technology at the bottom of a closet in my studio. I keep meaning to break that PC out sometime to remind myself what Windows 98 looks like and open up some old Sonic Foundry Acid projects to hear some digital-aliased-to-hell timestretched-ear-damage goodness. MMX!!

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:25 am

nathannn wrote:If everything you play on your speakers sounds good than it should not be too hard to mix on them. I know a lot of people say "consumer speakers are made to make everything sound good bla bla bla" when thats not really the case. There are many consumer speakers that sound like shit and im sure if you tried to mix on them your mixes would sound like shit.
When you go and check out studio monitors you are suppose to take a cd with tracks you know well to test the speakers out.. so just do the same with consumer speakers. Its also a lot easier to mix on consumer speakers when using spectrum.

A few years ago I became convinced that I needed to upgrade my "shit" $11.00 jvc headphones for some pro headphones. I tried so many headphones during that time and not one pair were as easy to mix on as the jvc headphones.

The only problem with going this cheap route though is that you might end up going through many cheap speakers just to find one good pair when you could just buy something for a couple hundred like krk rokit 5s (this is what I use) and be done.

so basically I just wrote a whole paragraph to let you know that i have no advice.
how true. if you know sound, you know sound. if you don't, you believe absolute hype or front. Yes, a 500K studio can be rocked. If you can't rock it though, it's gonna sound horrible. I put my money ($287.12 uncashed paycheck) on a person who know sounds any day. With that said, I would love to be in a 500K Studio, or just have dope monitors again, soon.
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:50 am

infiniteB wrote:
nathannn wrote:If everything you play on your speakers sounds good than it should not be too hard to mix on them. I know a lot of people say "consumer speakers are made to make everything sound good bla bla bla" when thats not really the case. There are many consumer speakers that sound like shit and im sure if you tried to mix on them your mixes would sound like shit.

how true. if you know sound, you know sound. if you don't, you believe absolute hype or front. Yes, a 500K studio can be rocked. If you can't rock it though, it's gonna sound horrible. I put my money ($287.12 uncashed paycheck) on a person who know sounds any day. With that said, I would love to be in a 500K Studio, or just have dope monitors again, soon.
287.12 uncashed paycheck!!! :lol: :lol: I think I would get along with you just fine in real life.
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:57 am

convex wrote:Nathannn, my friend, you have the best gear list ever. MMX technology. Good gravy. The irony is palpable, but still a refreshing change from the dual core, quad core, ghey core pissing contests that clog every message board on the Internets.

I have some MMX technology at the bottom of a closet in my studio. I keep meaning to break that PC out sometime to remind myself what Windows 98 looks like and open up some old Sonic Foundry Acid projects to hear some digital-aliased-to-hell timestretched-ear-damage goodness. MMX!!
yeah thats not really an accurate list today .. it was sorta accurate back in 2001 though (minus the casio keyboard and hit stix). and i still could make music then!
i remember being able to get around 12 tracks of audio and midi back then but my latency would be around 2000 ms.
so i could never actually play an instrument everything was done with the piano roll in fruity loops.

but that sig stays as a reminder that you dont NEED all the crap that you think you need.

no computers or synths