Pitch shifting in Ableton.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Viroshk

Pitch shifting in Ableton.

Post by Viroshk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:37 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to move pitches in a melody and was wondering which plugin is the best for that (while performing), in ableton? Also, I noticed that every clip has a "Frequency" knob that can be used, but only after and while its been recorded and, most importantly... selected!

I think that building a "Frequency" or "Pitch" device with Max for Live would be really simple... But isn't there an Ableton Live device that simply features that (and would save me the $)? I can't find it! Or I can't figure those "Frequency Shift" ones to use them for that purpose...

Is Discord 2 the only way and the cheapest, so far, to shift pitches around, while in performance?

Thanks for the help!

Olivier

infiniteB

Re: Pitch shifting in Ableton.

Post by infiniteB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:15 pm

i believe grain delay set at very short delay (3ms or less), and the pitch f'd with of course....
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

Viroshk

Post by Viroshk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks a lot! I just figured out how to use it, and I'm gonna try it!

Besides that, what would be a good harmonizer/pitch shifting VST pluging for Ableton?

Thanks again!

Olivier

barstu

Post by barstu » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:50 pm

msintros

Post by msintros » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:48 pm

i second those recommendations:

pitchwheel is probably the best bang for your buck if you're going to purchase a pitch shifter plugin. i did some side-by-side comparison with other pitch shifters, including the basic clip transpose function that is built into live (which is one of the better ones, but unfortunately YOU CAN'T AUTOMATE OR ASSIGN MIDI TO THE DETUNE PARAMTER.. this is a huge gripe of mine). pitchwheel costs 55 GBP which is about $89 i believe. it will give you a fairly continuous control of pitch like the pitch wheel of a keyboard but up to 2 octaves in either direction if you wish or as little as 2 steps.

other free options:

1. in ableton there is a free apple audio unit plugin (if you're using a mac) called "aupitch", which isn't all that great but is ok for certain things.

2. there's also, as you noticed, frequency shifter, which i have found to be more of its own effect rather than a real pitch shifter, so it isn't really suited to most purposes that i would say requires a pitch shifter specifically.

3. a free audio unit plugin called speedster is a pitch and speed effect (you can control either independently). overall quality of pitch shifting is ok.

4. free autio unit plugin called octave shifter 2

5. free vst or autio unit plugin madshifta (already recommended). i like this one, because you can control the degree of pitch shift with a midi keyboard and it's overall sound is kinda glitchy and cool. definitely not what i would call an accurate pitch shifter but one of the most fun to use. props to the inventor.

then there's a bunch that cost a lot of money... dunno about those, because i'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a pitch shifter.

barstu

Post by barstu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:46 am

You can also change the degree of pitch with a midi keyboard in pitch wheel

msintros

Post by msintros » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:49 pm

whoa! didn't realize that, actually. thanks for the heads up, homie.

Viroshk

Post by Viroshk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:09 pm

BARSTU meant that we could link the Pitchwheel plugin to a midi controller's Pitch Bend, which is a good reminder, actually, cause I'm looking for "live performance" solutions...

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I think I got enough now, to go out and try those new possibilites.

Oh, one last question! Are Eventide and Quadravox working well with Ableton (or at all)?

Thanks a million!

Olivier

barstu

Post by barstu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Viroshk wrote:BARSTU meant that we could link the Pitchwheel plugin to a midi controller's Pitch Bend, which is a good reminder, actually, cause I'm looking for "live performance" solutions...

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I think I got enough now, to go out and try those new possibilites.

Oh, one last question! Are Eventide and Quadravox working well with Ableton (or at all)?

Thanks a million!

Olivier
No i meant using keys, it's been a while since i did it but i'm sure i was routing a midi channels out to the pitch wheels in, that was on another audio channel.

Syncretia

Post by Syncretia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:02 am

You're looking for this:

Spectre Gadget. You can pitch shift anything without changing the timing
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=895
Download and listen @ http://www.syncretia.com

uberdavis

Post by uberdavis » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:46 pm

I can also recommend the Native Instruments option.
I was looking for a solution for this problem, till I realised that Guitar Rig comes with a pitch pedal effect.
You can use it in combination with the Splitter Tool in Guitar Rig to produce a good clean harmonizer effect.
It works in real time too...

JonathanGolden

Post by JonathanGolden » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:03 pm

What I found out that was a different way to make the pitch change is convert your midi clip to a wave file and drag it into an audio track. Then change the tranpose knob. Sometimes it doesn't always sound good but I have used it on a bass and vocals mainly...

ericzang

Post by ericzang » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:38 pm

--
www.ericzang.com
"Night Music of the Rainforest" now available for download

Vojtekk

Post by Vojtekk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:18 am

Hi All I was fighting this same problem when I wanted to build my live set session.

I wanted to have a group of drums - Kicks snares HH etc separately and to control their pitch all at once.

After a few hour of thinking and searching I found out (by myself in the end) that I can put all my samples of drums to Sampler (each channel sampler with different samples) - I also used zones to be able change samples quickly.
Than I search for pitch control in Sampler. Maped it to rack in each channel in the group.
And here is the MAIN PART - I found Envelope follower in Max for Live Audio effect - There I selected desired effect (pitch control) in the drop down windows and maped the Min value to macro knob (because changing this value effected the pitch in sampler). Than I duplicated this E follower to chain list to affect all the channels and made sure that other instances of this chain are muted (otherwise the audio is duplicated or more).
It is working just fine with no delays and it is CPU friendly.

Hope I helped

Vojtekk